Register Control Panel Search FAQ/Help/Guide Memberlist Forum Calendar The Stranger Things Store Home Stranger Things Home

Go Back   Stranger Things Forum > Main > Charisma Carpenter
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-20-2004, 02:38 PM   #16
Dannyblue
a.k.a. Danielle

The Fog is creepy. But, while I liked the original, I think a remake could be even better if done right. I mean, they could really go to town on it if they wanted to, and it could end up being amazing. And CC as the heroine would be awesome.
Old 12-20-2004, 04:11 PM   #17
Shadow4Corangela
owner of a lonely heart

Hmmm. Never heard of 'The Fog'. But if you guys say it's awesome and good news for CC, I believe you. So here's to hoping that CC get's the part.

Dean Winchester: I hope your apple pie is freakin' worth it! ~Supernatural

Cordelia: I like 'David'. It's such a strong, masculine name. [pause] It just feels good in your mouth. ~ Angel
Shadow4Corangela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2004, 02:29 AM   #18
Rachelle

Ah, this is good! John Carpenter has finally made it to remake status (they're remaking Asault on Precinct 13 too). My first, original favorite Carpenter This will make a new generation of J. Carpenter fans.

This is a remake I'm so for! It was a sweet movie and with Charisma in the new version... I will rally everyone I know to go see it!

P.S. If no one has ever seen Big Trouble in Little China or The Thing, each with Kurt Russell, rent them! Do a John Carpenter weekend
"I will stay on Buffy if, and only if, Buffy stays on the WB. And you know what? Print that. My bosses are going to kill me, but print that. I want them to know... The WB has been so supportive, such a great network over the past four years. It feels like home. I don't want the show to move, because I feel that we belong on the WB. It's where our fans are. If Buffy leaves the WB, I'm out." -Sarah Michelle Geller. ** Does anyone have a time machine?
Rachelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2004, 03:52 AM   #19
maverick

Just chiming in on the Big Trouble in Little China love. Without a doubt one of my top five favorite films ever. Brimming with memorable lines utterly unique characters and a way of immersing you in a unique world like no other. Besides how can you go wrong with a movie that names one of its lead protagonists Egg Shin

The remake idea sounds great. I just hope we get confirmation soon that Charismas landed the role
Old 12-22-2004, 03:55 AM   #20
Silly Gilly
RamRod

The Big Trouble in Little China commentary with Kurt Russell and John Carpenter is pure gold. You can see why they work together so much.

What I wouldn't do to be alone with Kurt Russell in an elevator...
Silly Gilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2004, 07:26 AM   #21
Morrigan
Who Da Man?!

I love Big Trouble in Little China and The Thing great movies. What I love about The Thing is that while the FX are crap, it's still this creepy, scary, movie and the ending is perfect.
Old 12-22-2004, 11:38 AM   #22
rousedower
cancelled

Love BTILC too! Who hasn't seen that movie? I also like They Live.
Stake Darla #13
Greenie Groupie #13
rousedower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2004, 01:41 PM   #23
Dannyblue
a.k.a. Danielle

Quote:
Originally Posted by maverick
Just chiming in on the Big Trouble in Little China love.
That movie is so underrated. My mother loves it, which is a minor miracle, because she doesn't usually like "that weird stuff" (anything sci-fi, fantasy, or horror).
Old 12-22-2004, 05:13 PM   #24
rolandro

Quote:
Originally Posted by DamnSkippy
Oh I don't want it to be gory . . ..
We ARE talking John Carpenter, right? The John Carpenter, who gave us the remake of the 'Thing'? (Wilfred Brimley put me off performing CPR chest compressions for years - and I was a lifeguard!!!!) And Snake "I thought you were dead" Pliskin? and my favorite pure Schlock B movie, 'They Live'?

Last edited by rolandro; 12-22-2004 at 05:16 PM.
rolandro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2004, 10:08 PM   #25
rousedower
cancelled

Quote:
Originally Posted by rolandro
We ARE talking John Carpenter, right? The John Carpenter, who gave us the remake of the 'Thing'? (Wilfred Brimley put me off performing CPR chest compressions for years - and I was a lifeguard!!!!) And Snake "I thought you were dead" Pliskin? and my favorite pure Schlock B movie, 'They Live'?
Hmm. I don't find Carpenter's movies gory. I think they're violent, some very violent. But not really gory.
Stake Darla #13
Greenie Groupie #13
rousedower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2004, 11:21 PM   #26
misbegotten3

I'm sorry but I must respond whenever someone refers to the SFX in THE THING as crap-I respectfully disagree a whole mother-******* bunch!!! The monster effects, as excuted by SFX make-up maestro Rob Bottin (creator & designer for such films as: THE HOWLING; LEGEND; SEVEN; MIMIC; etc.) are bloody perfect in design and creativity. Their power and weight will never be matched, especially by todays digital film makers. Ironically the current issure of MAKE UP ARTIST has an interview with Rob Bottin and John Carpenter about Bottin's effects work in THE THING.

I'd like to throw out that I consider John Carpenter's THE THING arguably the scariest Science Fiction/Horror film ever mader; easily equalling or perhaps surpassing THE EXORCIST.

Speaking of BIG TROUBLE IN LITTLE CHINA, has anyone seen the music video for the movie starring John Carpenter's rock band? Pure 80's gold.

As for Charisma being in THE FOG re-make, I hope it turns out to be true. What more is there to say?

Please excuse the haphazard nature of this post.
misbegotten3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2004, 07:22 AM   #27
Morrigan
Who Da Man?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by misbegotten3
I'm sorry but I must respond whenever someone refers to the SFX in THE THING as crap-I respectfully disagree a whole mother-******* bunch!!!
Feel free to disagree all you want but as far as I'm concerned they were crap. And I'm not judging by today's standards, not saying that CGI would make it all better. However, when I can't tell WTF is coming out of the Dog's stomache and can't make heads or tails of the fact that at one point it was a dog, then it's crap.

There's a great comment from the FX guys on LotR where they say that if the FX takes you out of the movie, even for a minute, then they failed. You're not supposed to spend 5 minutes wondering WTF were they showing me? That's so fake. How did they do that? etc. It's supposed to blend seemlessly into the story. Now, from my perspective, the FX in The Thing were jumbled and not visualized properly which took away from the suspence of the movie and that is why they sucked, YMMV.
Old 12-23-2004, 05:09 PM   #28
misbegotten3

The monster in THE THING never had a single discernable form because it was a 'thing'; not a single individual being but the embodiement of the 'other'. A major theme of John Carpenter's film is the loss of identity and one of the reasons the monster is a threat is because arguably it has no identity. It can only never imitate the life forms its infected, never once does the organism become it's true self - or that it ever had a 'true' self. As such the Thing is able to become any creature it has ever imitated, even if its just to bring out the bits it needs - like little spider legs.

To affirm the power of THE THINGS effects work, I ask that you compare it to Rober Rodriguez rip-off THE FACULTY; and ask your self which one holds up.

Please excuse me I'm become argumentative, but John Carpenter is my favorite film maker. His work, even lesser work like GHOSTS OF MARS always have their own identity and they're always underestimated. This latter part is especially true of the critical establishment in the United States. Of all Carpenter's work THE THING is arguably his most complete and underrated film (it had the misfortune of being released three months after ET).

Charisma Carpenter should be in THE FOG re-make, because there needs to be at least one 'Carpenter' on the credits scroll.
misbegotten3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2004, 05:31 PM   #29
tojoson

take heart, missbegotten, John Carpenter will still be involved with the remake, just not as a director.

he will be one of the producers
Old 12-23-2004, 06:02 PM   #30
Morrigan
Who Da Man?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by misbegotten3
The monster in THE THING never had a single discernable form because it was a 'thing'; not a single individual being but the embodiement of the 'other'. A major theme of John Carpenter's film is the loss of identity and one of the reasons the monster is a threat is because arguably it has no identity. It can only never imitate the life forms its infected, never once does the organism become it's true self - or that it ever had a 'true' self. As such the Thing is able to become any creature it has ever imitated, even if its just to bring out the bits it needs - like little spider legs.
Dude, I got that, but if you can't make out WTF it's trying to be then the SFX have failed. I don't care if it changed form every fucking time, what they presented wasn't good. End of discussion! You disagree and I respect that but stop trying to tell me I'm wrong, because I'm not. If it takes you out of the story for even a moment then it's failed and the FX in that movie failed me big time.

Frankly I don't understand what your deal is, I never said the movie sucked, in fact I liked it so there's no need to have a coronary or offer The Faculty up as some sort of sacrifice to John Carpenter's All Mighty Genius. You know, I like Carpenter but let's take a step back and realize that all this guy is; is a great B/Cult Movie maker. His movies are fun, entertaining, creepy and at times scary and I enjoy them but that's all they are. They are not high art, they are not the answers to the great mysteries of life.

Last edited by Morrigan; 12-23-2004 at 06:36 PM.
Morrigan is offline   Reply With Quote