Register Control Panel Search FAQ/Help/Guide Memberlist Forum Calendar The Stranger Things Store Home Stranger Things Home

Go Back   Stranger Things Forum > Main > Movie Mania!
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-06-2008, 11:46 AM   #31
Morrigan
Who Da Man?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penny Century View Post
My review: OMFG. Everything you've heard is true. RDJ really is all that and a bag of chips. (Plus totally doable, and I say that as someone who's never really thought of him that way before.) Best meeting of actor and role since, well, since Harrison Ford and Indiana Jones, and you'll get to see that trailer too.
I must say I was very exicted for this movie and it certainly lived up to my expectations, then again I never read the comics and only had a passing knowledge of Tony Stark/Iron Man.

Considering I actually used to watch Ally McBeal for RDJ I'd say he was always doable but this movie certainly raised him to the top of the list

Quote:
I've said to a few different people that Downey had the opportunity to raise the superhero bar with this one. I am telling you now, he slaps the bar down, breaks it in half -- with his teeth -- replaces it with a 12-foot concrete wall strung with razor wire, and goes, "There. Get over that, Ed Norton. You little bitch."
Agreed I think he took comic book hero/comic book movies to another level with this one. Of course I totally loved your turn of phrase and wonder if Ed Norton can make The Incredible Hulk work, of course having Tim Roth in the cast can't hurt, lol.

Quote:
Loved the various nods to canon -- or at least the original canon -- throughout. Terrence Howard is ideally cast as Rhodey. Jeff Bridges is incredible, as always. And make sure you stay until the credits are over!
Speaking of Canon, did Jon Favreau play Hogen? If so doesn't he end up with Pepper Pots? That's what they said on Wikipedia anyway

PS - On a sad note I didn't get to see the new "Dark Knight" preview, but the Indy one totally rocked..I was the geeky little fan girl in the front row clapping like crazy during the Indy 4 preview.
Old 05-06-2008, 05:25 PM   #32
Lovin' Lorne
Too Hot For Words

It was great, wasn't it! I wanna see it again!

We were able to see the "Iron Man" panel at Comic-Con last year, so we already knew we wanted to see it a good 10 months before it was out. RDJ was fantastic. I've never read IM, so I couldn't tell you if he nailed the role or not. But from what the fanboys are saying he did. I haven't seen them this pumped since Hugh Jackman took on Wolverine. I also thought Gwyneth did a good job as Pepper Potts and she really makes a good looking red-head! I kept thinking "Wow! She'd have made a great Mary Jane!" LOL

Where's Blue? Please help if you can.
Lovin' Lorne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2008, 07:59 PM   #33
Cordy's Bitch
Not amused

I'm a huge Iron Man fan from the comics, and I was satisfied, although I just kind of expected more. I guess because I wanted to see all the possible things....like "Demon in a Bottle", the War Machine armor, the Extremis storyline (very, very cool).

Robert Downey, Jr. was pitch perfect. I look forward to him being the jaded, confident futurist Iron Man of today's comics.Terence Howard was a little under-used in my opinion, but that's because I love Rhodey.

As for Gwyneth Paltrow, I just kept wondering when she got those legs because she wore the hell out of those heels.

And I would actually like for them to do the Happy Hogan/Pepper Potts romance.....cause that'd just be cool.
"Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair. Or fuckin' beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Till then you've got a lot more punishment in store. So stand it like a man, and give some back."
Cordy's Bitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 08:44 AM   #34
Penny Century
Rich girl, superhero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cordy's Bitch View Post
I'm a huge Iron Man fan from the comics, and I was satisfied, although I just kind of expected more. I guess because I wanted to see all the possible things....like "Demon in a Bottle", the War Machine armor, the Extremis storyline (very, very cool).
Give 'em time and a few sequels. I think they've foreshadowed "Demon in a Bottle" and the War Machine storyline a little already (especially in Rhodey's long, penetrating "later for you" look at the Mark II armor). I'm with you -- Downey's casting and his overdelivery on expectations in this movie leave the field wide open for some of the darker, deeper arcs this series is famous for, including Stark's morbid alcoholism and his increasingly poor health.

Personally, I can't wait to see the Avenger Initiative, either. Dast we hope for Captain America and the Mighty Thor in the sequel?

Quote:
And I would actually like for them to do the Happy Hogan/Pepper Potts romance.....cause that'd just be cool.
I think they may have foreshadowed this, too, except with Coulson.
Old 05-07-2008, 09:06 AM   #35
Morrigan
Who Da Man?!

Quote:
I think they may have foreshadowed this, too, except with Coulson.
You know, I couldn't tell if they were foreshadowing a possible romance or they just kept up a running gag to see how long it would take people to figure out that Strategic Homeland blah blah blah was S.H.I.E.L.D.

Maybe my mind just kept going there b/c I knew Nick Fury was cut from the movie so I kept looking for SHIELD references?
Old 05-07-2008, 09:44 AM   #36
Cordy's Bitch
Not amused

Quote:
Mighty Thor in the sequel?
Matthew Vaughan is already developing a Thor movie, and the character IS supposed to have the Nick Fury type cameo in Iron Man 2 (which, come on, you know it'll be Iron Man 2.0)

To be honest, of all the casting, I think Thor is the most problematic. Can you think of a good actor who brings this to mind?

"Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair. Or fuckin' beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Till then you've got a lot more punishment in store. So stand it like a man, and give some back."
Old 05-07-2008, 09:59 AM   #37
Morrigan
Who Da Man?!

Whenever I think of a live action Thor I always picture the guy from The 13th Warrior. However, I do agree I think Thor will be difficult to cast, unless they go the Conan route picking a guy who matches the character but can't really act.

ETA- Well that image didn't work

Last edited by Morrigan; 05-07-2008 at 12:53 PM.
Morrigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 10:56 AM   #38
Platypus
The Pointy End

Quote:
To be honest, of all the casting, I think Thor is the most problematic. Can you think of a good actor who brings this to mind?
Again, don't know much about the actual comic, but based on that picture... Ray Winstone? Beowulf wasn't a great movie, but he was pretty impressive as the title character, even though the live action was over-animated for the film. I can easily see him as the character in that picture.

Tact is just not saying true stuff. I'll pass.
Platypus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 11:16 AM   #39
Penny Century
Rich girl, superhero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Platypus View Post
Again, don't know much about the actual comic, but based on that picture... Ray Winstone?
Actually, this made me, too, think of what one might call the Beowulf Gambit. Ray Winstone - pudgy, 50ish, excellent actor -- becomes a buff 20-something through the magic of CGI. And still an excellent actor. I can easily envision the same technique for Thor, who I think may be the last or at least the penultimate frontier in live-action superheroism anyway. (The guy is a god, for sooth's sake.)
Old 05-07-2008, 11:40 AM   #40
Cordy's Bitch
Not amused

Quote:
Actually, this made me, too, think of what one might call the Beowulf Gambit. Ray Winstone - pudgy, 50ish, excellent actor -- becomes a buff 20-something through the magic of CGI. And still an excellent actor. I can easily envision the same technique for Thor, who I think may be the last or at least the penultimate frontier in live-action superheroism anyway. (The guy is a god, for sooth's sake.)
What they might do is actually have two different guys. One for Donald Blake and one for Thor. Thing is, part of of the whole Blake/Thor dichotomy is that the Blake persona was created by Odin to humble Thor, and so Blake has a bum leg. (and of course, in the movie, there will probably be a scene where big hulking Thor can't do something, but small, weak Blake can...)

So we need a blondish guy that can play huge and play small. And remember, Thor is NOT American, so that opens things up a little...
Old 05-07-2008, 12:57 PM   #41
Morrigan
Who Da Man?!

Ohh, I know let's get a wrestler...tell me that picture doesn't scream HHH?
Old 05-08-2008, 10:32 PM   #42
Dannyblue
a.k.a. Danielle

Quote:
What they might do is actually have two different guys. One for Donald Blake and one for Thor.
They actually did this in The Incredible Hulk Returns, the TV movie done in 1988. Check out this description.

Dr. David Banner is working on a gamma-rays device that may cure him from becoming the Hulk. But his lab is destroyed when a former student of his, Donald Blake, turns into Thor, and battles the Hulk. Finally, the two powerhouses team up to confront a crime organization that is interested in Banner's work.

Anyway, Blake was played by Steve Levitt, an actor who's played a lot of bookish, nerdish types. And Thor was played by Eric Allan Kramer, a big, hulking, blond actor who's played a lot of bullies. (Of all ages.)

Memories of this movie's Thor (who seemed more like an over-sized frat boy/jock who liked to beat stuff up than a Norse god) are partly why I think casting Thor in a new project would be tough.
Old 05-09-2008, 07:38 AM   #43
Morrigan
Who Da Man?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dannyblue View Post
They actually did this in The Incredible Hulk Returns, the TV movie done in 1988. Check out this description.

snip

Memories of this movie's Thor (who seemed more like an over-sized frat boy/jock who liked to beat stuff up than a Norse god) are partly why I think casting Thor in a new project would be tough.
I remember that movie and yeah Thor did come off as a Frat Boy.
Old 05-09-2008, 09:32 PM   #44
SlytherinAngelic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morrigan View Post
Ohh, I know let's get a wrestler...tell me that picture doesn't scream HHH?
Lol, it does. It has 'The Game' written all over it. Oh well, glad there's another wrestling fan on here (or am I just assuming?)
SlytherinAngelic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 07:04 PM   #45
Childe of Blade

Based on early reviews, it looks as though the sequel will not live up to the original.

Personally, I felt the first film was good, but not as great as others claim. Downey pretty much carries the film on his back.
Childe of Blade is offline   Reply With Quote