Register Control Panel Search FAQ/Help/Guide Memberlist Forum Calendar The Stranger Things Store Home Stranger Things Home

Go Back   Stranger Things Forum > Miscellaneous > Forum Announcements/Help
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-09-2004, 10:07 AM   #1
buffyandangelfan

signature limits

Hi can someone tell me what the graphic limit is on here please. I know it is two graphics but what would be the largest size graphic one could have?
Old 07-09-2004, 10:26 AM   #2
Penny Century
Rich girl, superhero

This might actually be a good time to enumerate the preset dimensions for .sig files as a whole:

You can have up to two image files in your .sig. Maximum dimensions are 375 pixels wide by 100 pixels tall and 12KB in size.

Emoticons may be included in your .sig. Keep in mind that emoticons count as image files.

The maximum number of characters in a .signature is 350.

Hope this helps!
Old 07-09-2004, 11:32 AM   #3
CordeliaCC

Thanks Penny, and thanks BAF, good thread.

Way to keep people informed on limits and rules
CordeliaCC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2004, 12:31 PM   #4
buffyandangelfan

Thnaks for the info.
Old 07-10-2004, 05:58 AM   #5
Kimmers

While we're at it what are the limits for pics posting.
How many pics can we post per post? A lot of boards have four, what is the limit here?
from Kim
Old 07-10-2004, 11:34 AM   #6
Penny Century
Rich girl, superhero

Pics per post are limited to three.
Old 07-10-2004, 10:21 PM   #7
Kimmers

Cool, has that changed recently. Cause i only noticed that i couldn't do it in the last week or so
from Kim
Old 07-20-2004, 08:53 AM   #8
Emmangel
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penny Century
You can have up to two image files in your .sig. Maximum dimensions are 375 pixels wide by 100 pixels tall and 12KB in size.
*whispers* Um, you know the size limit isn't working yes?*whispers*
Old 07-20-2004, 03:01 PM   #9
Penny Century
Rich girl, superhero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emmangel
*whispers* Um, you know the size limit isn't working yes?*whispers*
No, I turn off .sigs in Preferences, and that way I'm not bothered with them at all. Maybe you're seeing cached copies of people's .sig files? Try emptying your browser cache and see if that works.
Old 07-20-2004, 03:22 PM   #10
Emmangel
Administrator

Quote:
Maybe you're seeing cached copies of people's .sig files? Try emptying your browser cache and see if that works.
And that's making them bigger? No, I checked and the image limits set don't apply to signatures (was rumaging through the VB forums for stuff). Not a problem for me since I have a 1MB connection (weee!). Just thought I'd mention it is all.
Old 07-20-2004, 03:25 PM   #11
Penny Century
Rich girl, superhero

Quote:
And that's making them bigger?
Uhh, no. (Assuming that's not a rhetorical question. ) Just that your browser may be storing copies of those images that predate the limits, is all.

Quote:
No, I checked and the image limits set don't apply to signatures (was rumaging through the VB forums for stuff).
Hm. I have a couple of questions in to them concerning the fact that the Custom Avatar settings don't work correctly. I guess I'll add this to the pile

In the meantime, though, the .sig shut-off switch really is a good function.
Old 07-20-2004, 03:31 PM   #12
Emmangel
Administrator

Quote:
UJust that your browser may be storing copies of those images that predate the limits, is all.
Nope, its for new ones too. A few of us were talking about sig sizes in another thread, which is where it came up.

Quote:
Hm. I have a couple of questions in to them concerning the fact that the Custom Avatar settings don't work correctly. I guess I'll add this to the pile.
Well from what I've read, there just isn't an option for signature image sizes in the current version of VB, as the sig files don't pull from the attachments section of the CP (which I assume is what we throught controlled sig files).

Shall be turning off sigs in a moment though me thinks, save my scolling finger.
Old 07-20-2004, 03:47 PM   #13
Penny Century
Rich girl, superhero

Quote:
Well from what I've read, there just isn't an option for signature image sizes in the current version of VB, as the sig files don't pull from the attachments section of the CP (which I assume is what we throught controlled sig files).
I guess I'd assumed that the general forum image restrictions automatically applied to .sig images as well. But I've already mentioned I wasn't looking, which probably is my bad. (I haven't bothered with .sigs in any forum, anywhere, for years, because about 90 percent of them are ugly, stupid, hard to read, and too damn long. There, I said it.) Needless to say, the ability to restrict .sig size and length was practically worth the entire price of entry for vB 3.0 as far as I was concerned, and it hacks me off that there are still a few bugs in the system.

At least vB seems to be aware how many, many, and have I said many people want this for future iterations. (Until every Photoshop hack learns how to use Save For Web and make JPGs instead of GIFs, I'll be there, man. )
Old 07-20-2004, 03:55 PM   #14
Emmangel
Administrator

Quote:
I guess I'd assumed that the general forum image restrictions automatically applied to .sig images as well. But I've already mentioned I wasn't looking, which probably is my bad.
Well, I assumed the same thing too. Was only because I was killing time at work that I decided to go snooping round the CP panel and see what pretties are hidden within.

Quote:
Needless to say, the ability to restrict .sig size and length was practically worth the entire price of entry for vB 3.0 as far as I was concerned, and it hacks me off that there are still a few bugs in the system.
Yep, the limiting of characters is a big plus with this new version. Hopfully a size limit will be included in a future release, as if they can restrict avatar size it shouldn't be too hard to do this too.