Register Control Panel Search FAQ/Help/Guide Memberlist Forum Calendar The Stranger Things Store Home Stranger Things Home

Go Back   Stranger Things Forum > Main > TV Party! > TV Class Reunion!
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-02-2007, 10:28 AM   #16
Platypus
The Pointy End

So, I'm totally behind the times and late to the game, but I did finally catch up on all of the episodes for Season 1 (including the finale) over the winter break, and I was completely blown away. I thought it was an amazing series, and now cannot wait until the second season.

I've always been a fan of Michael C. Hall (David on SFU was by far my favorite character towards the end), but he surpassed all of my expectations with his layered portrayal of Dexter. And Julie Benz should be giving thanks to some sort of deity, because this was an amazing role for her to land and she did a fantastic job.

Even the characters I didn't like in the beginning (like Debra, and LaGuerta), I loved by the end. Except for Doakes - I hate Doakes. And I'm not sure if it's the actor or the writers or what - I get that he doesn't like Dexter, and I'm fine with someone being suspicious about it. But he's so over-the-top about it - it's like he's in perpetual barking army drill sergeant mode. I have to think in the real world he'd be suspended or something for showing such unwavering and bullying abuse towards a co-worker.

But... that was my only small quibble. I thought Rudy/Brian was fabulous as a villain (and Christian Camargo was a revelation as an actor). All in all, a really great show, and now I'm sort of sorry that I didn't watch it every week as it was airing.

Tact is just not saying true stuff. I'll pass.
Platypus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2007, 12:05 PM   #17
Cantinera
Miss StrangerThings 2003

Location: I don't know at the moment, so stop asking difficult questions.
Yay, you caught up, Platy. Although, now I am three episodes behind. But still, what I did see I thoroughly loved.

And I actually like Doakes. Not a lot, but there isn't a character on the show I disliked. LaGuerta really grew on me as well.

Michael C. Hall is amazing as Dexter. And as Dexter I find him a bit hot. I really shouldn't.

Last.fm: for the musically nosy.
Cantinera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2007, 07:46 AM   #18
SamIAm
It's all about Cordy.

I like Doakes, hard-boiled and all. It's kind of a cliched character, but they at least are trying to layer him. And I like the actor; I've seen him in some other things and he does fine.

What I don't get though, is why Doakes is so darn sure Dexter is a bad guy. I get that he may have 'a feeling' or just be creeped out by Dexter, but his words and actions go beyond just thinking Dexter is weird. So, where did this certainty that Dexter is evil incarnate come from?
Old 09-04-2007, 10:17 PM   #19
Platypus
The Pointy End

In preparation for my favorite show from last year (one of them, at least) returning on September 30, TwoP has an interview up with Julie Benz. Enjoy! (And if someone knows how to make the link below smaller, please let me know - I'm technologically challenged that way.)

http://www.televisionwithoutpity.com...howName=Dexter

Old 09-05-2007, 07:21 AM   #20
SamIAm
It's all about Cordy.

In brackets, with no spaces: [ url=http://thisistheurl.com/page.htm/otherstuff/ ]Some text here[ /url ] will give you : Some text here.

I've already seen the first two episodes of the season. The show is definitely going in a different direction. I'll not likely see the rest of the season until the S2 DVD's come out though.

Last edited by SamIAm; 09-05-2007 at 11:37 AM.
SamIAm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2007, 02:44 PM   #21
Penny Century
Rich girl, superhero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Platypus View Post
In preparation for my favorite show from last year (one of them, at least) returning on September 30, TwoP has an interview up with Julie Benz. Enjoy!
I don't get Showtime (can't justify the cost, given how little time I usually have to just sit down and enjoy hot, nutritious television), but I was pleasantly surprised to see Julie Benz on a 30-second Time-Warner promo for the new season of Dexter. It was just one of those "Hi, I'm Julie Benz - catch all-new episodes of yadda yadda yadda" things, but it's nice that they chose her to make the pitch.
Old 09-05-2007, 03:14 PM   #22
Platypus
The Pointy End

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penny Century View Post
I don't get Showtime (can't justify the cost, given how little time I usually have to just sit down and enjoy hot, nutritious television), but I was pleasantly surprised to see Julie Benz on a 30-second Time-Warner promo for the new season of Dexter. It was just one of those "Hi, I'm Julie Benz - catch all-new episodes of yadda yadda yadda" things, but it's nice that they chose her to make the pitch.
If you have the time and/or inclination, I highly recommend renting Season 1 on NetFlix of some other way. It was really a terrific show - well written, well acted and genuinely thrilling with a lovely thread of dark humour throughout. And I think this was probably the role of a lifetime for Julie Benz - and she takes full advantage. She's completely NOT Darla on the show.

Old 09-05-2007, 03:17 PM   #23
Bryan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Platypus View Post
If you have the time and/or inclination, I highly recommend renting Season 1 on NetFlix of some other way. It was really a terrific show - well written, well acted and genuinely thrilling with a lovely thread of dark humour throughout. And I think this was probably the role of a lifetime for Julie Benz - and she takes full advantage. She's completely NOT Darla on the show.
That is abolutely true - great, perfectly pitched performance IMO.
Bryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2007, 05:42 PM   #24
Marie

Cantinera Dexter is on in the uk and has been for several weeks on sky.
Marie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2007, 07:29 AM   #25
SamIAm
It's all about Cordy.

Slightly off-topic, I just finished the first of the Dexter books. Overall, I think the series is better than the book, a rarity there. But the book is worth a read if you're so inclined, bearing in mind publishing standards are not what they once were.
Old 10-04-2007, 07:42 AM   #26
Emmangel
Administrator

That's good to know, as I have the first two books waiting to be read.
Old 10-04-2007, 10:26 AM   #27
Cantinera
Miss StrangerThings 2003

Location: I don't know at the moment, so stop asking difficult questions.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marie View Post
Cantinera Dexter is on in the uk and has been for several weeks on sky.
I have yet to catch it. I realise I have a hard time keeping up with actual television when it is on. Bah. I shall buy the DVDs when I move. Finally finish the first series.

Last.fm: for the musically nosy.
Cantinera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2007, 01:22 PM   #28
Livvie
nutcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamIAm View Post
Slightly off-topic, I just finished the first of the Dexter books. Overall, I think the series is better than the book, a rarity there. But the book is worth a read if you're so inclined, bearing in mind publishing standards are not what they once were.
Everyone I have talked to who has read the books and watched the series says the EXACT same thing. Someone actually said that they were skeptical that such a crappy book could be turned into a worthwhile series. They were pleasantly surprised.
Old 10-04-2007, 01:49 PM   #29
psychofilly
*My* Angel eats nuns.

I bought the first season cold. It was 17.99 and so I figured it wasn't too much of a loss if it sucked. It sounded good, but I don't have or want Showtime (or HBO or Skinemax). Boy am I glad I bought it. I blew through it, and watched the first two of this season and will probably watch it on demand, because I love the show.
Old 10-04-2007, 02:10 PM   #30
samsmom

Oh man, I am *hooked* on this show, and I think I've only seen maybe half the eps from last season. Finally caught 2.1 last night and the quality is still very consistant with last season. Dex scares me but his dry inner narration makes me laugh.
samsmom is offline   Reply With Quote