Register Control Panel Search FAQ/Help/Guide Memberlist Forum Calendar The Stranger Things Store Home Stranger Things Home

Go Back   Stranger Things Forum > The 2006 Fan Fundraiser
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-09-2005, 08:29 PM   #1
Penny Century
Rich girl, superhero

Welcome to the 2005 Fan Fundraiser!

Yep, it's finally time to close out the 2004 auction and convert this forum to its new purpose.

First things first: I think there's a general consensus that our goal this year is long-term tsunami relief and awareness, but which agencies shall we target? Both CARE and Mercy Corps are doing stellar, very efficient work toward rebuilding the lives and livelihoods of those who lost homes, farms, and businesses during the disaster, but more suggestions and debate are welcome.

Now for the second goal: Some participants are up for making a group donation as a gift in Charisma's name to present to her at her London appearance in June. How shall we handle this -- as a challenge/pledge arrangement? As an auction of services and/or bonuses? I can think of a few options, but I'd prefer to hear what you think first.

And for the record, the $741.05 we raised for the L.A. Regional Food Bank is on its way via two separate donations. I'll post scans of the acknowledgment letters as soon as I receive them.

Hop on, folks!
Old 05-10-2005, 12:31 AM   #2
argel
beloved cordelia

I think--and this is just me--that we could do it like we've done in the past by setting a goal number for ourselves and working towards that number. You know, with the pom poms and cheerleaders and such.

***argel***
Team Cordy™ #17
Charisma's Bitch #17
The Place of Blue

Not a Color, But a State of Mind

Lisa: Wait, Xena can't fly!
Lucy Lawless: I told you, I'm not Xena. I'm Lucy Lawless!
Lisa: Oh.
argel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2005, 07:39 AM   #3
Platypus
The Pointy End

Penny, I have no real preferences, but it might be a lot easier for you if we just follow Argel's suggestion, with one exception - I wouldn't even establish a goal number, just a goal date, one that will allow the donation to be made in time for one of the Strangers to have the certificate to give to CC at the convention.

Alternatively, if you are willing to round up the talent and do the whole auction thing, that could be the longer-running charity initiative.

See? So not helpful.

As far as organizations go, might I suggest Doctors Without Borders? I know they were active in the tsunami relief efforts (and may well still be), and generally it's an outstanding organization from everything I've heard.

Tact is just not saying true stuff. I'll pass.
Platypus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2005, 07:53 AM   #4
DamnSkippy

I don't think there's time to do any sort of auction before the convention. As a long-term thing, I like it. But for CC, I think we'll have to go with either the goal date or goal money idea. I vote for the date option since that doesn't limit us to the amount of money to raise.
DamnSkippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2005, 11:04 AM   #5
ehab
Perpetually Confused

I like the idea of a goal date and maybe instead of a fan auction we could put together something artsy to go with our donation to present to CC?

I loved the purple letter portfolio you put together last year.
ehab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2005, 12:05 PM   #6
Platypus
The Pointy End

Quote:
Originally Posted by ehab
I like the idea of a goal date and maybe instead of a fan auction we could put together something artsy to go with our donation to present to CC?

I loved the purple letter portfolio you put together last year.
Stealing an idea from another fan group, when BAPS put together a fund drive in James Marsters' name last year (or maybe it was a couple of years ago), they collected funds and then made a group donation in James' name to (I believe) the Red Cross. Someone then designed a "certificate" using the BAPS logo, etc., and they all put their names on it and gave it to him.

We could do the same thing, design a card, maybe, put a PDF copy of the donation into the middle and then have contributors' board names included in a list on the inside cover - just a thought. We'd need one of our more talented graphic people to design the card, though, because I have zero ability in that area.

ETA: If we join forces with another board, say, for example, cc.com, then we could have two lists on the inside cover and include posting board names of cc.com contributors, as well.

Last edited by Platypus; 05-10-2005 at 12:12 PM.
Old 05-10-2005, 12:31 PM   #7
ehab
Perpetually Confused

Quote:
Originally Posted by Platypus
ETA: If we join forces with another board, say, for example, cc.com, then we could have two lists on the inside cover and include posting board names of cc.com contributors, as well.
This is a very good idea. I like the idea of pooling our resources and teaming up with cc.com even though there are probably a lot of the same folks on both boards. We might have trouble distinguishing who gave from which board.
ehab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2005, 12:48 PM   #8
Platypus
The Pointy End

Quote:
Originally Posted by ehab
This is a very good idea. I like the idea of pooling our resources and teaming up with cc.com even though there are probably a lot of the same folks on both boards. We might have trouble distinguishing who gave from which board.
People could just choose - at the time of their donation, they could specify if they want to be included, and how they want to be included, i.e. "Platypus" on the Stranger Things List, or "Platypus" on the CC.COM List.

Old 05-10-2005, 12:54 PM   #9
Penny Century
Rich girl, superhero

Or we could always just make one big list with both boards' names on it, like last time. I'm fond of keeping it simple, myself.
Old 05-10-2005, 01:17 PM   #10
Platypus
The Pointy End

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penny Century
Or we could always just make one big list with both boards' names on it, like last time. I'm fond of keeping it simple, myself.
That works too - I wasn't aware that we had done it that way before, or that we had even compiled a list!

Old 05-10-2005, 06:58 PM   #11
argel
beloved cordelia

Of course Platy's 'goal date' idea is better. My brain wasn't turned on, but that's what I really meant to say in my earlier suggestion.

I like the idea of having one big list of names. Make it so.

***argel***
Team Cordy™ #17
Charisma's Bitch #17
The Place of Blue

Not a Color, But a State of Mind

Lisa: Wait, Xena can't fly!
Lucy Lawless: I told you, I'm not Xena. I'm Lucy Lawless!
Lisa: Oh.
argel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2005, 01:23 PM   #12
Trillian
Too orangey for crows

I like the ' goal date', the convention in the UK is at the end of June, giving us about 6 weeks, I think. If that's what's intended. I also like Platy's idea for Doctors Without Borders/Médecins Sans Frontières.
Old 05-11-2005, 01:33 PM   #13
Penny Century
Rich girl, superhero

Since this is picking up a lot of momentum right here, I'll go ahead and put in the Paypal link:

Will change out the graphic and such directly -- right now, I just wanted to make the link available to those who wanted to get started.

I'm all for the "let's see what we can do by June, oh, 20" approach, rather than having a hard target. Let's see what happens!
Old 05-11-2005, 02:31 PM   #14
Marvin

I know I'm going to get slapped by Trillian (Hi Hon ), and probably Penny, but...

First off, why donate in Charisma's name? I'm not a fan-girl so I'm probably missing the point. In Stranger Thing's name, sure. But doesn't she have cash of her own that she can donate (and get a tax break ). Surely why would you want someone donating to a charity on your behalf - looks like you couldn't be bothered yourself.

Secondly, isn't all the news about the Tsunami currently they have so many donations they don't know what to do with all the money? One of the countries was asking for no more donations, but help with trade embargo's.

Let me say I'm totally down with giving money to charities. But I can't wrap my head around this one.
Old 05-11-2005, 02:35 PM   #15
Trillian
Too orangey for crows

OMG! Who let him in? I wanna report a bad post!

Last edited by Trillian; 05-11-2005 at 02:37 PM.
Trillian is offline   Reply With Quote