Register Control Panel Search FAQ/Help/Guide Memberlist Forum Calendar The Stranger Things Store Home Stranger Things Home

Go Back   Stranger Things Forum > The 2006 Fan Fundraiser
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-11-2005, 02:37 PM   #16
Penny Century
Rich girl, superhero

Hey, Mike, I thought that was you!

Re: the charitable donation...it's just kind of a nice thing to do. Charitable gifts seem to have become a sort of preferred self-expression in Joeverse circles, to the point where some groups even send out their own press releases announcing them (...), but in our case it's sort of a "glad you're at the con, this is what we did to celebrate" thing. Sort of makes the many, many people who can't go feel part of the action. Can't hurt, y'know?
Old 05-11-2005, 03:50 PM   #17
Marvin

Wink

If it's normal then who am I to argue against it. I just find it odd to raise money is someone elses name when they don't have anything to do with the charity or may not support it (although the Tsunami appeal is pretty generic). I do like the idea of doing something so that people that can't go (like me, but still have to pay for it ) feel part of it.

I worked on a job a while ago when we donated to Great Ormond St Hospital as a "in-kind" deal for stage and lighting supplies. In that case it was pre-arranged and related - the person who owned the gear had a child in the hospital, my sister was in there when she was young, and the show was "A Christmas Carol".

You know me though - I don't like blowing sunshine up these people's **** when they get enough recognition anyway
Old 05-12-2005, 07:57 AM   #18
Morrigan
Who Da Man?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvin
You know me though - I don't like blowing sunshine up these people's **** when they get enough recognition anyway
Ah a man after my own heart

Hiya Mike!
Old 05-12-2005, 11:52 AM   #19
Platypus
The Pointy End

Who let Marvin in? Don't we have any standards around here anymore?

Tact is just not saying true stuff. I'll pass.
Platypus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2005, 05:20 PM   #20
tojoson

if we want to donate specifically for tsunami relief, 'Doctore Without Borders' are no longer taking specific donations for the tsunami, they have enough funds for that, we can still donate to the general fund though

click on special note
Old 05-12-2005, 11:56 PM   #21
Pat

One way we can still help is in the architecture, help people get a roof over their head.

As having a roof over one's head is increasingly becoming a luxury, here is another one I like:
http://www.architectureforhumanity.org
or
http://www.habitat.org/ (for your local Habitat for Humanity volunteer work or for international relief)

Architecture for Humanity is really doing an amazing job in 3rd world countries and 6 months later only 30% of the population touched is relocated in decent living conditions...

Only India refused International aid by the way for the Tsunami, that's one out of 12 touched countries.
Sri Lanka is on their knees.

Great idea to let us participate with something artistic and meaningfull but I see Marvin point. Why offer in her name, maybe we should ask her to contribute one symbolic dollars as joining us in the effort?

Why not do a whole portofolio of nice work celebrating her and including the framed certificate on the front or last page? maybe?
Pat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2005, 10:30 AM   #22
Marvin

Hi Platy and Morrigan

Yes, it's true, there doesn't appear to be any standards in here - they let anyone join!

Finally decided to get myself a login as fed up with Trillian keep dragging me into the study to look at posts over her shoulder (and not being brave enough to write a left-field reply).

I doubt that I'll be in that often, but it's on my list of places to stop by while surfing now.
Old 05-15-2005, 11:05 AM   #23
Penny Century
Rich girl, superhero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvin
Yes, it's true, there doesn't appear to be any standards in here - they let anyone join!
Dude, they let me in. That should have been a big red warning light right there.
Old 05-29-2005, 05:54 PM   #24
tchouli
"Viggo...yummy!!"

*waves*

re an organization - there is red crescent.

i think the donation should be in strangers-thing name

www.catatat-alley.com

"...Cats believe they are God"
"I purr, therefore I am."

please spay and neuter

"The animals of the world exist for their own reasons. They were not made for humans any more than black people were made for whites or women for men." - Alice Walker
tchouli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2005, 02:35 AM   #25
Pat

Hi everyone,

By the way, how many members will be going to the event to present the check or certificate?

I also don't know where you take the donations, help?
Pat is offline   Reply With Quote