Register Control Panel Search FAQ/Help/Guide Memberlist Forum Calendar The Stranger Things Store Home Stranger Things Home

Go Back   Stranger Things Forum > Main > Charisma Carpenter
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-07-2006, 07:52 AM   #46
Morrigan
Who Da Man?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Livvie
The Crow was singularly the FUNNIEST movie I have seen in a long time! How could you not recognize the comic genius. Eddie Furlong stealing his look from Paul Stanley. The devil looking like a bad Andrew Dice Clay. The classic line "I need sex...now". Killing a dude with a bug zapper. A bug zapper! And the devil wearing tighty whities? It was comedy genius!

What movie were you guys watching? I was laughing so hard that I almost peed my pants. I couldn't even watch Charisma's movie because I was still crying laughing from Crow 4. Its definitely at the top of my comedies list now!
You know we have a pretty little pink font for when we want to be facetious

As far as Sci-Fi movies go, their original movies, Dune, BattleStar Gallactica, The Cube etc are usually very well done. It's the cheap piece of crap movies that they pick up from other studio's garbage bins that are usually so bad they're not even watchable.

Last edited by Morrigan; 06-07-2006 at 08:07 AM.
Morrigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2006, 11:14 AM   #47
Livvie
nutcase

Wasn't being facetious. I was being completely serious.

When a horror movie is done well, it can be an amazing thing. Well worth watching. Or when horror is paired with comedy like Shaun of the Dead and Slither, excellent.

But when a horror movie is done poorly, it turns into comedy gold. There are so many bad horror movies I can mention that really need to be relabeled into comedy. Just the entire ridiculousness of it pushes it from any sort of horror right into hilarity. Motel Hell springs to mind. Psychos in Love. All done as horror movies that have turned into camp comedy classics.

I had a blast watching Crow 4 and honestly, I haven't laughed that much in a really, really long time.
Old 06-07-2006, 11:27 AM   #48
Platypus
The Pointy End

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morrigan
As far as Sci-Fi movies go, their original movies, Dune, BattleStar Gallactica, The Cube etc are usually very well done. It's the cheap piece of crap movies that they pick up from other studio's garbage bins that are usually so bad they're not even watchable.
I've seen a few of you mention "Cube" - is that the Canadian minimalist sci-fi movie starring David Hewlett? (I think it also starred the actress who played Ezri Dax on Deep Space 9 once Jadzia was killed - I can't recall her name.) If so, that wasn't an original sci-fi movie - it's actually fairly old (at least 6 or 7 years) and I personally love it. It's one of my all-time favorite sci-fi movies, in spite of (or perhaps because of) its limitations.

The director (Vincenzo Natali) has been a bit hit or miss with his follow-up attempts, but one worth checking out if you are a David Hewlett fan is "Nothing", which is also a pretty minimalist piece and actually quite funny in an off-beat way.

Tact is just not saying true stuff. I'll pass.
Platypus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2006, 11:48 AM   #49
Emmangel
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Platypus
The director (Vincenzo Natali) has been a bit hit or miss with his follow-up attempts, but one worth checking out if you are a David Hewlett fan is "Nothing", which is also a pretty minimalist piece and actually quite funny in an off-beat way.
Cypher was also pretty good for what it was, plus had the Hewlitt cameo that you'd come to expect from his movies. LOL

Have to agree with Cube though, it really is one of the better movies, because I think, it keeps it so simple. Shame the sequel sucked though (the prequel I didn't find so bad).
Old 06-07-2006, 11:59 AM   #50
LaLa247
Wooo!

Quote:
But when a horror movie is done poorly, it turns into comedy gold.
Agreed. See: The Rage: Carrie 2 or Manos: The Hands of Fate.
Charisma's Bitch #1

"Treat everyone the same until you find out they're an idiot." -- Lucy Lawless

President Bush DID have a sure fire plan to end the war in Iraq, However Chuck Norris was busy that day.
LaLa247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2006, 12:44 PM   #51
Morrigan
Who Da Man?!

Quote:
But when a horror movie is done poorly, it turns into comedy gold. There are so many bad horror movies I can mention that really need to be relabeled into comedy. Just the entire ridiculousness of it pushes it from any sort of horror right into hilarity. Motel Hell springs to mind. Psychos in Love. All done as horror movies that have turned into camp comedy classics.

I had a blast watching Crow 4 and honestly, I haven't laughed that much in a really, really long time.
So I'm guessing Crow 4 fell into this category for you then? Cause I really don't think it was made to be a deliberate comedy/spoof of horror movies, ala Shaun of the Dead - which btw is a great movie.
Old 06-07-2006, 12:47 PM   #52
Morrigan
Who Da Man?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Platypus
I've seen a few of you mention "Cube" - is that the Canadian minimalist sci-fi movie starring David Hewlett? (I think it also starred the actress who played Ezri Dax on Deep Space 9 once Jadzia was killed - I can't recall her name.) If so, that wasn't an original sci-fi movie - it's actually fairly old (at least 6 or 7 years) and I personally love it. It's one of my all-time favorite sci-fi movies, in spite of (or perhaps because of) its limitations.
I thought that was Cube 2? I remember the original Cube from years ago, which I thought was a Sci-fi original but maybe not. ETA - Maybe I'm really getting them confused. Crap, now I can't remember which came first. Cause if that was McKay in the first one, he was really hawt in that movie. Damn, must go research.
Old 06-07-2006, 01:40 PM   #53
Emmangel
Administrator

Quote:
I thought that was Cube 2? I remember the original Cube from years ago, which I thought was a Sci-fi original but maybe not. ETA - Maybe I'm really getting them confused. Crap, now I can't remember which came first. Cause if that was McKay in the first one, he was really hawt in that movie. Damn, must go research.
Cube was the one with David Hewlett in.

Cube 2: Hypercube, aka the crap one, featured Geraint Wyn Davies from Forever Knight. Awful movie, I skipped through most of it. So losely based on the first one, it made even less sense than I thought possible.

Cube Zero, the prequel was a lot better though. Not as good as the first, but it was nice to see a different perspective in it.

Vincenzo Natali's short Elevated isn't too bad either, again featuring David - he and Andrew Miller are old time friends, and willing to work for free, which is why they're in all his films. LOL

And I'll shut up now...
Old 06-07-2006, 01:58 PM   #54
psychofilly
*My* Angel eats nuns.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emmangel
And I'll shut up now...
No this is good. I was planning a Flanniganathon, and some Hewlett movies for added flavor would be good. I know I could look them up on IMDB, but hearing about them from Strangers is better. I need to rent Cube. I haven't seen it since it aired the first time.
Old 06-07-2006, 02:13 PM   #55
Emmangel
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by psychofilly
No this is good. I was planning a Flanniganathon, and some Hewlett movies for added flavor would be good. I know I could look them up on IMDB, but hearing about them from Strangers is better. I need to rent Cube. I haven't seen it since it aired the first time.
Heh. Cube is always worth another look, esp. after not seeing it for a while too.

'Nothing' is an... interesting film to be sure, but very watchable. "Andrew, go around the back!" "ARRRGGGHHHH!!!!".

Sorry, that segment amuses me. Plus it has Andrew who was also in Cube staring in it.

A Joefest though is also well worth it. I say do both! You just can't beat the combo of the pretty and the funny.

Very interested in seeing David's film 'A Dog's Breakfast' when it's done though. Not only does it have his sister in, but also Paul, Rachel and Chris Judge. It'll be like a Stargate film of joy.

Plus, Paul wears a santa hat and David takes his clothes off. Can't get much better than that really.

*wonders if she should yell at herself for going all OT*
Old 06-07-2006, 02:31 PM   #56
Morrigan
Who Da Man?!

Quote:
Cube was the one with David Hewlett in.
Oh, that's too funny. I found him so cute in that movie and I never knew it was him.

Quote:
Cube 2: Hypercube, aka the crap one, featured Geraint Wyn Davies from Forever Knight. Awful movie, I skipped through most of it. So losely based on the first one, it made even less sense than I thought possible.
Oh yeah, that was the one I watched for all of 15 minutes.

Quote:
Cube Zero, the prequel was a lot better though. Not as good as the first, but it was nice to see a different perspective in it.
Never heard of it.
Old 06-07-2006, 03:09 PM   #57
Platypus
The Pointy End

Quote:
'Nothing' is an... interesting film to be sure, but very watchable. "Andrew, go around the back!" "ARRRGGGHHHH!!!!".
The first time I watched "Nothing", I really wasn't sure what to think of it. I didn't know if I liked it or not - but I knew I didn't "dislike" it. I rewatched and found it very funny, but it is an odd film to be sure.

The only other Hewlett film I've seen is "Treed Murray", which is, unfortunately, full of horrible cliches and stereotypes, as well as a fairly predictable plot. But... Hewlett is good in it, and it also stars the guy who plays Bobby Drake in the X-Men movies. (Either that or it stars his twin brother - for obvious reasons, I can't tell them apart.)

I've heard good things about "Century Hotel", but I've never seen it. And "Cube" is definitely the best of the lot.

Tact is just not saying true stuff. I'll pass.
Platypus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2006, 05:57 PM   #58
Christine

I missed the Crow, didn't realize it was the one with DB. I guess I'll have to tune in when its on again so I can laugh.
Christine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2006, 08:33 PM   #59
Livvie
nutcase

Quote:
So I'm guessing Crow 4 fell into this category for you then? Cause I really don't think it was made to be a deliberate comedy/spoof of horror movies, ala Shaun of the Dead - which btw is a great movie.
Exactly. I don't think it was meant to be a spoof/comedy either. Its just that it was so bad, the writing and acting were so horrible, that it became funny.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaLa247
Agreed. See: The Rage: Carrie 2 or Manos: The Hands of Fate.
Oh god, I think I blocked Manos out of my memory completely. LOL Thanks for the reminder. I need a good laugh this week.
Old 06-08-2006, 07:41 AM   #60
Morrigan
Who Da Man?!

Quote:
Exactly. I don't think it was meant to be a spoof/comedy either. Its just that it was so bad, the writing and acting were so horrible, that it became funny
Now I understand. Thanks for explaining.