Register Control Panel Search FAQ/Help/Guide Memberlist Forum Calendar The Stranger Things Store Home Stranger Things Home

Go Back   Stranger Things Forum > Main > Movie Mania!
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-21-2008, 10:22 PM   #1
Cantinera
Miss StrangerThings 2003

Location: I don't know at the moment, so stop asking difficult questions.
Twilight

Has anyone else read these books? I was told to read them, and I did. So compliant.

Seriously, though -- it's not that great, but really addictive. I couldn't put them down.

I am definitely going to see the film though. So much pretty packed into one cinematic experience.

Last.fm: for the musically nosy.
Cantinera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2008, 08:30 AM   #2
Morrigan
Who Da Man?!

My little cousin pointed out to me that the guy who played Cedric in HP:GoF plays the lead vampire in the movie.

I never read the books and have little desire to see the movie but you never know if I catch a really good preview I might go see it.
Old 07-22-2008, 11:30 AM   #3
Livvie
nutcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cantinera View Post
Seriously, though -- it's not that great, but really addictive. I couldn't put them down.
This is exactly how I felt. The whole time I was reading it, I was like meh, the writing's not great, read this plot before, etc but I couldn't put them down. It was like crack.

I don't really like the casting for the movie. It isn't how I pictured Edward or Bella (Or any of the Cullens actually) as I was reading the book. Unless the previews get better, I will stick to renting the movie.
Old 07-22-2008, 11:48 AM   #4
SamIAm
It's all about Cordy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morrigan View Post
I never read the books and have little desire to see the movie but you never know if I catch a really good preview I might go see it.
A preview here. No comment on its goodness or badness. Our IT blocks AOL.
Old 07-22-2008, 11:56 AM   #5
Morrigan
Who Da Man?!

Thanks, I shall check it out once I get home.
Old 07-22-2008, 03:19 PM   #6
starlet2367
glitterati

It's so Buffy/Angel in its "I love but we can't be together"-ness. I was the same way with the first one - the writing was bad but I couldn't put it down. Threw the second one across the room after I stopped laughing at it.

Go Fug Yourself got ahold of the EW cover. Ha!

I'm pretty sure the movie will result in a drinking game. One shot every time Edward says, "We can't be together." Two every time Bella does something stupid and life-risking to prove her twu nub for Edward. Three for every time Edward's man-meat sparkles.
starlet2367 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2008, 03:25 PM   #7
samsmom

Quote:
Originally Posted by starlet2367 View Post
It's so Buffy/Angel in its "I love but we can't be together"-ness. I was the same way with the first one - the writing was bad but I couldn't put it down. Threw the second one across the room after I stopped laughing at it.

Go Fug Yourself got ahold of the EW cover. Ha!

I'm pretty sure the movie will result in a drinking game. One shot every time Edward says, "We can't be together." Two every time Bella does something stupid and life-risking to prove her twu nub for Edward. Three for every time Edward's man-meat sparkles.
Well, the Buffyverse has sparkly fairy!Spike manips (complete with giant manroot), it's only fair of the Twilight verse ends up with sparkling penises, don't cha think?

And I haven't read the books but the "I love you but I'm bad for you" "I love you, I don't care if you're bad for me" has sort of a 'been there, done that' vibe.
samsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2008, 04:07 PM   #8
Penny Century
Rich girl, superhero

Isn't this the one that's like, High School Musical only with vampires? And no music to speak of?
Old 07-22-2008, 04:58 PM   #9
Morrigan
Who Da Man?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by starlet2367 View Post
Go Fug Yourself got ahold of the EW cover. Ha!.
So true, that was a horrible cover, the inside pictures are more interesting but he makes for one fugly looking vampire on the cover.
Old 07-22-2008, 10:48 PM   #10
Cantinera
Miss StrangerThings 2003

Location: I don't know at the moment, so stop asking difficult questions.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Livvie View Post
This is exactly how I felt. The whole time I was reading it, I was like meh, the writing's not great, read this plot before, etc but I couldn't put them down. It was like crack.
That's what I tell people -- it's crack. I work in a bookstore so we have to prepare for the Breaking Dawn night. I was the only one willing to read the series initially, but I mentioned the sparkling and the party ideas, so that lead to others reading it. Everyone has said it is bad, yet they cannot stop reading it.

And Penny, yup. Pretty much. I think the characters in the book listen to Muse a lot, if that counts.

Last.fm: for the musically nosy.
Cantinera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2008, 11:09 PM   #11
Penny Century
Rich girl, superhero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cantinera View Post
And Penny, yup. Pretty much. I think the characters in the book listen to Muse a lot, if that counts.
Gotcha. Honestly, I didn't mean that to be quite as facetious as it probably sounded. But you know - multiple-sequel-friendly story that articulates the full pantheon of high school archetypes against a tale of twu luuurve among the (forever) young. Just like crack, except crack is cheaper.
Old 07-23-2008, 05:53 PM   #12
ophelia

It is one of those series that I hate myself for loving. I've read them all multiple times. I'm not proud of myself-- but what can I say?

I am almost dreading the movie, though....and that EW cover made me laugh out loud when I saw it.

One of my friends was at Barnes and Noble the other day and the 40something year old woman working the register was telling her all about the Bridal reception they are having when Breaking Dawn comes out-- and how she'd taken her own wedding dress to be altered so she could wear it for the party.
Old 07-25-2008, 03:19 PM   #13
bigbird811
Lieutenant McMuffin

Y'know, I've read four excerpts from the first book, and already I can see what it's all about. It's really amazing that the publishing company didn't catch that Bella is actually Stephenie Meyer and Edward the hellucination on a dreary moonlit night and oh my god this whole thing's been done before.

See ya'll when the movie comes out!
Old 07-26-2008, 11:19 AM   #14
cherelli

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbird811 View Post
Y'know, I've read four excerpts from the first book, and already I can see what it's all about. It's really amazing that the publishing company didn't catch that Bella is actually Stephenie Meyer and Edward the hellucination on a dreary moonlit night and oh my god this whole thing's been done before.

See ya'll when the movie comes out!

I have not read the books, but read excertps. Recently acquired the ebooks for the first three. I'm still getting drawn into seeing the movie. Don't like the guy chosen for Edward, but after Angel (or more specifically DB), vampires and the way they look, are a hard sale for me.
cherelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2008, 12:17 PM   #15
bigbird811
Lieutenant McMuffin

I shouldn't have tried to be all cryptic with that spoiler tag :P