Register Control Panel Search FAQ/Help/Guide Memberlist Forum Calendar The Stranger Things Store Home Stranger Things Home

Go Back   Stranger Things Forum > Main > The Cordyverse
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-25-2006, 10:08 AM   #16
Penny Century
Rich girl, superhero

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlameFlirt
Savvysinatra has a good question - what would we do besides lay around and soak up the sun?
Uhhhh...we need to do something besides that?

As PF said, Galveston = fun and Mardi Gras = big-ass party ("the second largest Mardi Gras in the world," at least according to their own hype). I imagine people may want to have a couple of DVD watching parties, and I'd be willing to bring the PS2 and DDR dance pad.

Some may want to do some sightseeing -- Galveston is, among other things, the former home and headquarters of Jean Lafitte and has many nautical attractions and activities, including Seawolf Park (actually on Pelican Island, but right across the 51st Street causeway) and the Texas Seaport Museum, home of the tall ship Elissa.

The Strand has several historic buildings and great shopping. There are also some cool surf and souvenir shops along Seawall Boulevard. On any given day, you can watch the dawn patrol catching some waves near the pier. You can also rent a bike at just about every other shop on Seawall, or take the trolley back and forth to the historic district.

There's decent barhopping to be had, and it'll be wall-to-wall Krewe parties, most of which are open to the public, during Mardi Gras season (February 9-20).

If we rent from SnS, all houseguests will get a free pass to the Galveston Country Club for tennis and what have you -- the pool doesn't open until Memorial Day weekend, but our subdivision may have its own pool with different dates of operation.

I can make the house reservation(s) myself; there's a small fee that I can cover up front and we can divide later. SnS has a four-car maximum for parking at each rental house, but I figure many of us will arrive from an airport anyway. Other than that, all you'll probably have to do is pack your stuff and maybe help with the cooking, cleaning, or grocery shopping!

Of course, and I'll reiterate, we don't have to go in February, and we don't even have to go to Galveston. It's just a possibility, and other suggestions are welcome.
Old 07-25-2006, 10:12 AM   #17
Prima
I have no idea...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penny Century
There's decent barhopping to be had...
You had me at hello.

*sniff*

"...speculating on the sadomasochistic dominance games of the White House staff is always more interesting and topical than shipper wars." --Cordy's Bitch

"OMG GOD HATES ME BECAUSE HE DIDN'T MAKE JESUS/PETER CANON! I'M QUITTING THIS FANDOM, AND I AM TOTALLY NOT FINISHING REVELATIONS!" --latara
Prima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2006, 10:15 AM   #18
Penny Century
Rich girl, superhero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prima
You had me at hello.

*sniff*
Dude. Bring your DDR controller, and we'll have a real dance party. (I've got Extreme 2!)
Old 07-25-2006, 10:28 AM   #19
Trillian
Too orangey for crows

Man, DDR hypnotises me. I just wind up staring at the screen and the shiny graphics! I would love to go and met up with everyone but I am unable to give you a definite answer until probably the end of Nov and I have a feeling that may be too late what with the booking and everything.
Old 07-25-2006, 10:33 AM   #20
Prima
I have no idea...

Quote:
Dude. Bring your DDR controller, and we'll have a real dance party. (I've got Extreme 2!)
Yay!

I have to see. I might just say to the spouse I need a vacation and I think right now, he'd likely be alright with it.

I'll really try to make it happen.

"...speculating on the sadomasochistic dominance games of the White House staff is always more interesting and topical than shipper wars." --Cordy's Bitch

"OMG GOD HATES ME BECAUSE HE DIDN'T MAKE JESUS/PETER CANON! I'M QUITTING THIS FANDOM, AND I AM TOTALLY NOT FINISHING REVELATIONS!" --latara

Last edited by Prima; 07-25-2006 at 09:33 PM.
Prima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2006, 10:35 AM   #21
Penny Century
Rich girl, superhero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trillian
Man, DDR hypnotises me. I just wind up staring at the screen and the shiny graphics! I would love to go and met up with everyone but I am unable to give you a definite answer until probably the end of Nov and I have a feeling that may be too late what with the booking and everything.
Actually, the real estate company doesn't even have a calendar set for any later than January, so you may be more on-time than you think.... It would be fantastic if you and Marvin could come, so keep us posted!
Old 07-25-2006, 11:16 AM   #22
Emmangel
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlameFlirt
Savvysinatra has a good question - what would we do besides lay around and soak up the sun?
Oh you know the usual, doing things in the area, margaritas and suger-free jelly, the Big O and other random stuff. *g*

Quote:
(Am I wrong in thinking this would be the first StrangerCon? )
First proper ST con yeah, though a bunch of us have been getting together at D*C for four years. Good times had by all in between all the chaos!

Thinking about it, it'll actually be nice for me to go somewhere where I'm not conning and getting up at the crack of dawn and run around like a manic all day. it'll be like an actual holiday. *gasp*
Old 07-25-2006, 12:35 PM   #23
Delenn
C/A - 5 yrs. & counting.

Is this more of an adult time, or could children come? I would love to meet up with you guys, but would probably want to bring the hubby and seven year old son (who will be 8 on Feb. 21).
Shiny Happy Person #1225
Wesley's Reading Wenches #1225

Slaying, Blogging, Whatever
Delenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2006, 01:15 PM   #24
Penny Century
Rich girl, superhero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delenn
Is this more of an adult time, or could children come? I would love to meet up with you guys, but would probably want to bring the hubby and seven year old son (who will be 8 on Feb. 21).
That's a good question -- I think there will be a lot of "adult time" involved, but it will be up to the Revolutionary Party Collective to decide if it's adults-only.

One possibility, if we have enough interest, is to reserve two rentals and designate one as a family house (or, more generally, as an alcohol-free zone, for those who might prefer that environment).

There also are whole groups of rental houses that are in the same block, which can be reserved by individual families who want to hang out with the Strangers yet go back to their own place at night. Those who want that set-up would have to make their own reservations, but I'd do everything I could to make sure we're all on the same cul de sac.

What does everybody say? Can we get a preliminary, no-commitment-required head count for anyone who's even a little interested in spending a couple of days? I have...

Penny
Morrigan
Emmangel
Angela
FlameFlirt
Psychofilly
Prima
Platypus
That*Clown
Trillian
Delenn + 2

Sooooo...we're already up to a house for 12, or two houses for 8 with one that still has room for 3.

ETA: It occurs to me that if we have enough people who can (or want to) spend only a couple of days, we could rent the second house on a two-night basis, if the option is available, and those Strangers could realize some cost savings -- if they can agree on which two nights they want to spend.
Old 07-25-2006, 01:20 PM   #25
Eureka

I'd love to be able to go to StrangerCon, but I'd need to check out the logistics of getting there.
Eureka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2006, 04:15 PM   #26
Penny Century
Rich girl, superhero

*bink*

A bit of good news from the realtor: The entire month of February is classified as "low season" for rate purposes, including Mardi Gras. This opens up some great possibilities both in price saving and the level of property we can consider. (Can you say "private pool"?... I kneeeew thatcha could.)

Plus there's the confirmed option to rent in two-night increments. This could mean that we can rent a second house for those who want to stay only for the weekend, at potentially a big price break for them -- provided there are enough two-nighters to fill an eight-person house at least halfway. Any fewer than four or five people, and you start getting into diminishing-returns territory.
Old 07-25-2006, 06:44 PM   #27
psychofilly
*My* Angel eats nuns.

Quote:
*bink*

Plus there's the confirmed option to rent in two-night increments. This could mean that we can rent a second house for those who want to stay only for the weekend, at potentially a big price break for them -- provided there are enough two-nighters to fill an eight-person house at least halfway. Any fewer than four or five people, and you start getting into diminishing-returns territory.
Ooh, you can put me down as a weekender then. I'll go for that.
Old 07-25-2006, 08:33 PM   #28
Penny Century
Rich girl, superhero

Quote:
Originally Posted by psychofilly
Ooh, you can put me down as a weekender then. I'll go for that.
As it turns out, there are a few houses available that sleep 6 and 4, which could work out even better for the weekenders -- a group of 3 or even 2 could attend affordably (e.g. for $200 or less, including food and supplies, for two people sharing a 4-sleeper). Finding an adjacent house big enough for the 4-day-and-up folks could be a challenge, but I think it can be done.
Old 07-25-2006, 08:38 PM   #29
Morrigan
Who Da Man?!

I can't do a week (full 7 days) but 4-5 days would work fine for me. Need to get in at least 1 weekend. The cost seems perfect and I have no problem with cooking. I hope we can pull this off.
Old 07-25-2006, 08:52 PM   #30
Penny Century
Rich girl, superhero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morrigan
I can't do a week (full 7 days) but 4-5 days would work fine for me. Need to get in at least 1 weekend.
Well, the last weekend of Mardi Gras is a good one to choose. The good thing is that the week costs the same as four days, so people will have an opportunity to stay for Fat Tuesday or book a cheaper incoming flight earlier in the week and not have to worry about having a place to be. (And I can get there early and make sure there's stuff like dish soap and TP and enough ice.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morrigan
I hope we can pull this off.
Me, too -- in fact, I'm about halfway to counting on it.