Register Control Panel Search FAQ/Help/Guide Memberlist Forum Calendar The Stranger Things Store Home Stranger Things Home

Go Back   Stranger Things Forum > Main > The Cordyverse
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-25-2006, 01:22 PM   #1
CordyAngelSeer

Question about being called as a Slayer

Bearing in mind that I've only seen Season 1-3, but have seen an eppy or 2 of Season 7, and have recently acquired Season 4-7 which I have yet to watch, could someone please explain, 2 things? First I know in Season 7 there is a whole story arc devoted to potential Slayers, but I was always under the impression that the girl called to become a slayer didn't know she was one till her watcher told her (i.e. Buffy in Becoming Part I)I'm assuming the Slayer bombshell was on Faith in the same way. Yet, in the Kendra arc in What's My Line Part I & II Kendra says that when she was a child she was given to her watcher by her parents to train, which throws off that theory.

And Secondly, if there are like a ton of potential slayers in waiting, why not activate them? I mean I know the "In every generation.." bit, but 1 girl cannot defeat all the evil in the world, or even attempt to try. Albeit, Sunnydale is on a hellmouth, but vampires and demons live all around the globe, so who is keeping them in check, if there is only one slayer, who happens to be stuck in Sunnydale or wherever she is from. It kinda doesn't make any sense. I know to watch BTVS reality must be suspended, but this is even too farfetched. Thanks for the help in advance.
CordyAngelSeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2006, 01:45 PM   #2
Dannyblue
a.k.a. Danielle

I'll give it a shot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CordyAngelSeer
First I know in Season 7 there is a whole story arc devoted to potential Slayers, but I was always under the impression that the girl called to become a slayer didn't know she was one till her watcher told her (i.e. Buffy in Becoming Part I)I'm assuming the Slayer bombshell was on Faith in the same way. Yet, in the Kendra arc in What's My Line Part I & II Kendra says that when she was a child she was given to her watcher by her parents to train, which throws off that theory.
The Watchers were always on the look out for Potentials. They were able to find many of them (like Kendra), and assign them Watchers, and their training began as soon as possible. But some slipped through the cracks, and weren't found until they had already been called (like Buffy). There's much speculation that the reason Buffy was such a good Slayer was that she didn't go through that early, and probably stifling training. By the time the Watchers got to her, she was already a "follow my instincts, don't alway do things by the book, refuse to give up my life and friends to kill bad things full time" kind of gal.

Quote:
And Secondly, if there are like a ton of potential slayers in waiting, why not activate them? I mean I know the "In every generation.." bit, but 1 girl cannot defeat all the evil in the world, or even attempt to try. Albeit, Sunnydale is on a hellmouth, but vampires and demons live all around the globe, so who is keeping them in check, if there is only one slayer, who happens to be stuck in Sunnydale or wherever she is from. It kinda doesn't make any sense. I know to watch BTVS reality must be suspended, but this is even too farfetched. Thanks for the help in advance.
No one had any control over who was called, or when, or how many. I'm sure the Watchers would've loved having an army of Slayers at their disposal. (Literally.) But nobody could do anything about it, and the Watchers were stuck with just having one Slayer at a time. Until the fluke where Buffy technically died, and Faith was called so that, for the first time ever, there was more than one Slayer running around. It took some major and serious mojo to turn every Potential into a Slayer.
Old 05-27-2006, 01:22 PM   #3
CordyAngelSeer

Thanks so much Danny, that clears up a lot of confusion I'd been having about the shpw. I've also been rewatching my BTVS epps just need to finish Graduation Day Part 1 & 2, and I'll finally beable to sit and watch for the first time Seasons 4-7. Which I pretty exicted about, I've heard from various people that season 4 is the last real BTVS season b/c afterward it went downhill, I've also heard season 4 was the worst and have gotten a mixed bag of opinions about Dawn being introduced, and Willow suddenly deciding she's gay after beingin love with Xander her whole life and well there is Oz.

And while I'm on this tangent if it hasn't been already done before....

How would y'all rate the seasons of Buffy, from best to worst, and why?
Old 05-27-2006, 01:40 PM   #4
angdelia
Scratch the Surface

Quote:
1. Season 3. Wesley, Faith and the mayor.
2. Season 2. Spike and Drusilla. Cordelia/Xander
3. Season 1.
4. Season 5.
5. Season 6. Even if I hated the trio (or whatever their name was) I always thought Warren was the creepiest villain ever (at least after he killed his ex). It was all so real.
6. Season 4. I didn't like the whole university ambience and the initiative
7. Season 7. IMO, the first was extremely lame, I HATED Buffy at that point... and let's not forget Giles The Robot. Horrible.

Sanity? Pfft, what's that?
angdelia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2006, 04:57 PM   #5
Lovin' Lorne
Too Hot For Words

Quote:
1.) Season 3 - Faith and the Mayor made it the best season ever, so it's my favorite season by miles.

2.) Season 2 - Since S1 was only 12 episodes or something like that, I always think of this season as being the first season for some reason. I really liked the whole Angelus/Spike/Drucilla thing, but ceratinly not the smoopie puppy love stuff that got us there. Blergh.

3.) Season 5 - I wasn't thrilled with the addition of Dawn AT ALL, or with the the whole Glory/Ben thing, but I did like her minions, and since that was the last season that the "real" Buffy was in, yea, I'll say it's # 3 on the list.

4.) Season 1 - I only put it here, because the next three seasons will be fighting for the worst season ever position.

5.) Season 4 - I actually liked Riley and The Initiative, and it was the last season with a Spike that I could stomach, but the whole college thing fell flat, and it was painfully obvious that Greenie had abandoned ship for the greener pastures of AtS.

6.) Season 7 - It was bad, but at least they seemed to make an effort in the first half of the season. In fact, I think I might have actually liked Buffy again for about an episode.

7.) Season 6 - The worst of all by far. It was so bad on so many levels -

A) Willow's poutfest because Buffy didn't thank her for bringing her back.

B) Pod!Giles telling Buffy that she needed to make her own way and not rely on him for help when the poor girl had nothing left: no money, no job, no mother and had Whiny!Dawn to take care of. I mean, yea ASH didn't want to do the show anymore, but did Giles really have to be an ass right before he left?

C) The whole only down and dirty sex with Spike makes me feel alive...please, what a joke that was.

D) The gawdwful musical episode. It made my ears bleed. I'm serious.

I could go on and on, but I'm sure no one wants to listen to that again.

Where's Blue? Please help if you can.

Last edited by Lovin' Lorne; 05-27-2006 at 05:01 PM.
Lovin' Lorne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2006, 04:12 AM   #6
MissWera

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovin' Lorne

D) The gawdwful musical episode. It made my ears bleed. I'm serious.

I could go on and on, but I'm sure no one wants to listen to that again.

I loved Once more with feeling! Yeah...they were bad at singing(except Amber Benson and Anthohy Stewart Head and James Marsters) but the episode was good. I don't know why but I think that's one of the best Buffy episodes! But other than that seasons 6 and 7 were bad. I love season 3.

Last edited by MissWera; 06-01-2006 at 06:10 AM.
MissWera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2006, 10:39 AM   #7
CordyAngelSeer

Just finished Season 4, and overall I really enjoyed it. I really like the Riley and Buffy relationship, heck, I would like any Buffy relationship as long as she's not with Angel their relationship was a major downer that catered to the pre-teen notion of a Romeo & Juliet nauseating farce. Because, yes they had the cute high school relationship thing going, but they made each other miserable, love at first sight, kinda hokey, love based on friendship first (ie Angel & Cordy) is much better in my opinion. Some of the initative based eps were a little lame, but they weren't enough in my opinion to kill the whole season. Hush was a good episode, but to me it seemed a little over hyped as being the best BTVS episode ever, it was good, I admit, but I perferred Wild At Heart, poor Willow and Oz

One thing that did bug me though, was how they (the writers) handled Willow's revaltion that she's suddenly now gay, I think they could have gone into a little more depth about the issue, but maybe season 5 deals with it more. Another thing I liked was This year's girl, when they hinted that Dawn would be coming soon. I've heard a lot of people hate that particular character, I hope when I'll be able to bear watching this character, from all the negative reviews about the addition of a kid sister (ie whiny brat) I'm a bit aprehensive, that she'll detract from not only the scobby gang, but my recent rediscovery of a show that I had quit watching after the 3rd season, because Angel & Cordy left, to which I'm starting to really enjoy again. More rantings to come when I get time to watch season 5.
Old 06-11-2006, 05:57 PM   #8
CordyAngelSeer

Just finished season 5, two more to go. Overall I loved season 5, The Body has to be the most...the greatest episode in BTVS history, thus far. The character of Dawn didn't bug me too much, the first few eps when it was like she was always there from day one annoyed me to no end, I felt like screaming at my TV at times that Buffy is an only child, but once the the writers made the explaination of her being the key really cleared things up a bunch. Unlike most fans who hate the character of Dawn, I didn't mind her, really, yes it was an adjustment, this newbie in the Scoobies, but I felt really bad for her not having a choice in the matter of who/what she is. Then again, I'm the little sister in my family, where my older sibling is the favorite, so I could relate where she was coming from. Was sad to see Riley leave, Buffy seemed actually happy with him, but Buffy to me seems whenever she's in a relationship, her life is defined by her boyfriend and she become self-absorbed and involved in that drama, it was nice to see her single for a while just being happy to be with Buffy.

Spike, not much to say about him really, I like the character, and as far as his jonesin' for Buffy goes I have to see how that plays out in Season 6.

Glory, the idea was great, I really enjoyed the Ben/Glory Jeckel & Hyde type of element where Glory was banished into human form. But I wouldn't have gone with the airhead, blonde girly approach, I liked the fact that Glory was unstable mentally, but I would have gone with a quite, ominous, devious kind of evil, heck Joel Grey's character of Doc was scarier than Glory. One nitpick though is that I think Dawn should have ended her life at the end of The Gift,
though I like the character, it would have given Buffy more agnst, losing Joyce and Dawn. But I'm not Joss or the writers, so I'll have to see how things go in season 6.