Register Control Panel Search FAQ/Help/Guide Memberlist Forum Calendar The Stranger Things Store Home Stranger Things Home

Go Back   Stranger Things Forum > Main > Charisma Carpenter
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-20-2009, 07:04 AM   #1
Emmangel
Administrator

Test Screening of Vivid

I'm going to a test screening of Vivid in a few hours, is anyone else from the board going?

Shall report back in a few hours!
Old 04-20-2009, 07:15 AM   #2
Morrigan
Who Da Man?!

How did you manage that?

Awesome, let us know how it is and how the audience reacts. I'm hoping it's a good movie so we get a theatrical release here in the U.S.
Old 04-20-2009, 10:08 AM   #3
Lovin' Lorne
Too Hot For Words

Sweet! Report back ASAP, Em!

Where's Blue? Please help if you can.
Lovin' Lorne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 11:33 AM   #4
tootyfnfruity

OMG i am like totally chartreuse with envy seriously, can't wait to hear how it is

tootyfnfruity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 02:33 PM   #5
Emmangel
Administrator

Just got back from the screening of Vivid. I can't really say anything plot wise about the film, but will give my general impressions and other info I found out.

Firstly there are currently two different cuts of the film, one longer, one shorter. I saw the shorter version, which came in at about 100 minutes.

Both versions are rough cuts as there is a week of editing left to do. That means that the editing needs to be fine-tuned, the score wasn't there, colours need to be tweaked and there were times when we could hear the director giving cues to the actors.

I saw the film with four others (and a couple of staff), and they seemed quiet pleased with it. People jumped a few times, so that's a good thing I'd imagine!

I have to say, I enjoyed the film. It's not going to be the next surprise summer blockbuster or anything but it's a good, solid enough film and while it doesn't throw away the 'plot by numbers' book it does deviate from it enough to keep you interested in the story. It does have that British film feel to it though, if you know what I mean?

As for the story in general, there were a few moments in it that didn't sit well with me, and they'll be obvious when the film comes out. That's vague I know, but I can't talk about the plot. Sorry! I also think that the film could have used more background info on some of the characters as a few bits didn't track, though that might be included in the longer cut.

Though the film has its fair share of horror moments in it (the beginning mostly) I'd say it tends to lead more towards physiological thriller for most of the film and once again reinforces that I never want to live in a big, old house in the middle of the country. Ever.

The acting overall wasn't bad, and I loved Charisma in it. Unlike some other recent roles (CSI for example), she was playing a person, as opposed to a 'character'.

As for her character (Susan), she's rather serious, though does have a few snarky moments, is smart enough to send her husband after the noises in the night and change the channel from the footy when he goes to answer the phone. She does loose points though for staying in that creepy arse house - I'd be out like a shot after the first night!

After the film we had to fill in the usual questionnaires, and had a quick word with the director.

The things I found out were:
The film had a budget of 1.5million, though it looks quiet good for that money - minus one horror moment that was rather naff. I'd imagine that'd be fixed in the final edit though.

The actors were filmed for a 'making of', so we should get that on the DVD at least.

As for a release date, they're not sure. They seem to be hoping for the autumn, but as they said, it could be two weeks after editing is finished, or a year.

They were taking about promotion, and they're heading to Cannes in May, so they may be looking for a release in theatres but I think it’ll probably be a DVD release (the questionnaire seemed to hint to that too).

As for which version they'll release, I'm not sure, but they were taking of adding scenes back in to the shorter version, so we may end up with a mix of the two cuts rather than either of the current versions.
Old 04-20-2009, 04:53 PM   #6
Bryan

Thumbs up

Thanks for that Emmangel - can I ask how you managed to get on this? Nobody ever asks me!
Bryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 05:06 PM   #7
Morrigan
Who Da Man?!

Thanks for the report, sounds like it'll be a good flick. I really hope it does get a theatrical release but if not I'll get the DVD as soon as it comes out.
Old 04-20-2009, 09:35 PM   #8
Livvie
nutcase

I can't speak for Em, but the Red Sparrow Facebook page had a posting about it today, for people to send them a message for information.
Old 04-21-2009, 02:33 AM   #9
Emmangel
Administrator

Yeah, they were advertising the screenings on their Facebook page last week for the two showings.
Old 04-21-2009, 10:48 AM   #10
nikkiwawa
wikked lil' grrrl

Thanks for the report, Em! I can't wait to see it. Very interesting that they are going to Cannes with the movie. That's exciting. Hopefully, CC will be there.

Cordy/Angel Graphics (A lovely LJ community devoted to Cordy/Angel. Share icons, graphics, etc.)

This Is My Life

My LJ Icon Community
nikkiwawa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 10:57 PM   #11
tootyfnfruity

thanx for tha info i can't wait to see

tootyfnfruity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 07:57 PM   #12
Livvie
nutcase

Another test screening (info via the Red Sparrow Facebook page)

Quote:
Red Sparrow we're having a test-screening of the a new film starring Charisma Carpenter and are looking for a nice mix of people to attend. You should be aged 15 - 50 and NOT working in the film business. The screening is Thursday May 7th, 2009 from 6.30 pm - 9 pm in Holborn/London. Let us know if you´re interested! The best thing is to email me: margit@red-sparrow.co.uk and I´ll get back to you with the details.