Register Control Panel Search FAQ/Help/Guide Memberlist Forum Calendar The Stranger Things Store Home Stranger Things Home

Go Back   Stranger Things Forum > Main > Charisma Carpenter
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-04-2006, 10:07 PM   #16
Nirvana 1
Negative Creep

I think the writing of Heather kept Charisma acting-wise back a bit being how she was so meek, but when the moments came up she really rose above it. Like the part when she teases Cole in the car about riding on the roof and the face she makes. She didn’t have many opportunities to shine, but when she did I think it made up for it. Would loved to have seen more action from her.

I thought the story was okay, but they over-did the music a bit (and used the same scores over and over, as if they paused it at one part then started it back again the next) and dragged on certain scenes so that they lost momentum. Some of the characters (Dee Wallace) were killed just so abruptly. I mean not the :shock!: kind either, it was just, “well, we’re going to kill them now before you find out if they’re that important”. Okay.

The character of Diana was awesome, loved her “did 5 years for stabbin’ a jack-ass who called me ‘darlin‘” line. To be honest it would have been better to see Charisma play that character. My boyfriend, who is Mexican, kept quipping about the Latino Ray with the knife (“of course! What else would we fight with?!”) and then shooting himself (“that ruined the movie for me. Did you see how the WHITE zombies kept wanting a take a bite out of the Mexican guy? Yeah, that‘s right!”). The zombie, Frank, was cool and funny and so was John Amos’s character (though I didn’t like the cliché of him having to save Diana. I wanted to see her keep that attitude).
Nirvana 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2006, 10:07 PM   #17
jerry

Charisma looked great. Other than that, I'd say that I am glad her career has progressed nicely since she filmed this. I think 'Veronica Mars' has cemented her femme fatale status in Hollywood. This was a pretty terrible movie, but I doubt it will have much impact one way or another.
jerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2006, 10:10 PM   #18
Freakface
Who's Your Daddy?!

Overall, I think it was a good a cable movie. Special effects are to be desired. Charisma did a good job as usual. A little humor is always good, especially with the bed hair she had. And like I said in earlier posts, I do like the brother-sister interaction with Cole.

The most annoying thing was the zombie cop... What the f--- does he do? That was a waste. The ending, like many genre movies, is very underwhelming.

It is a nice bubblegum movie. Hopefully we will see more Charisma in her upcoming movies.

I have looked at the darkness of the world, and all I see is the light of humanity - Unknown

Come check out my blog: http://freakfaceusacelebpics.blogspot.com/
Freakface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2006, 10:54 PM   #19
tojoson

better than most of the tv movies on the scifi channel

story could have been better, and so could the special effects, AND some of the acting, but what can you expect for 2 million dollars

the editing for the commercial breaks left a lot to be desired

i'll probably get the DVD, just to see how much they had to cut out for TV
the continuity seemed hashed up in places

overall, it was not bad, and CC made it much better
i'm glad they made her light,
in the character description, i thought she would be sort of broody

(just on a side note--Eureka looks interesting)
Old 06-05-2006, 08:08 AM   #20
Morrigan
Who Da Man?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerry
Early on, this has the look of really epic suckiness.
Early on? Hell all the way through....bad, bad, movie. Sorry.
Old 06-05-2006, 08:43 AM   #21
brahmsviolin

Sadly, I have to agree. I think the movie was really, really bad. There was nothing to recommend it. The performers weren't even that good, and I know that several of them are quite capable of doing more. I didn't think that Charisma was up to her usual level, which could have been the result of the suck of this movie. It wasn't the kind of awful that keeps you watching, cuz it's so gloriously and uniquely awful. Instead, I found myself reading and doing my dishes and loads of other things just to mitigate the boredom.

I am so glad that Charisma has other projects for an audience to guage her talents.
Team Cordy #172
brahmsviolin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2006, 09:37 AM   #22
Platypus
The Pointy End

Looks like I didn't miss anything on this one. Sometimes, maybe it's a good thing I don't have access to all of the US programming.

I think her two upcoming telemovies sound a lot more promising and a lot more interesting - the one on Lifetime ("Cheater's Club") and particularly the one on ABC Family ("Relative Chaos"), so I'm hoping that since both were shot in Canada there's some sort of connection which would have them being picked up by a Canadian television associate for airing at some point.

Tact is just not saying true stuff. I'll pass.
Platypus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2006, 10:38 AM   #23
DamnSkippy

I wasn't expecting much and that's pretty much what I got. Although I must say it was a notch better than most of the crap Sci-Fi channel offers as far as movies go. CC's character was boring, however. She did the best she could with a basically nothing character. I still can't figure out why she (the character) even needed to be there. And how many times does a person need to be pulled into the cornfield for people to know *not* to stand close to it and turn their backs on it? Dumb, dumb, dumb. But I disagree about the acting. I think everyone did well acting wise. It was just a mediocre script with boring characters.
DamnSkippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2006, 10:39 AM   #24
mef2101
TiVoholic! Have pity.

I am begininng to suspect that Charisma's ability to screen out crap is impaired. Aside from the rightly well-regarded Veronica Mars, I think she's made questionable choices.

Flirting with Danger? A cure for insomnia.

Voo Doo Moon? More like doo-doo moon. Try as much as I could, I just could not sit through the entire movie. Dialogue was amateurish, acting uninspired, and the special effects...? Well, nothing special about those effects.

I haven't given up hope that Charisma's career choices will improve, so I will continue to sample her work.

But I refuse to give up any more of my life to watch dreck like Voo Doo Moon.
mef2101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2006, 11:00 AM   #25
Platypus
The Pointy End

Quote:
Originally Posted by mef2101
I am begininng to suspect that Charisma's ability to screen out crap is impaired. Aside from the rightly well-regarded Veronica Mars, I think she's made questionable choices.[/i].
I realize that I haven't had to endure the suck-itude of this particular movie, and I won't argue with you on "Flirting With Danger" (which I essentially had to fast forward through instead of watch), but I feel like cutting CC some slack here. First of all, she's still primarily a work-for-a-living actress, and sometimes you do really awful stuff because there's nothing else coming your way and you need to pay the bills. Voodoo Moon was shot quite a while ago (I believe), well before she landed the recurring role on Veronica Mars. I'm hopeful that the VM exposure means that the parts she's landing now are a little bit better - but even if they're not, I don't necessary think that means that Charisma's crap-screener is on the fritz. It just may mean she's decided it's better to be working in crap, than not working at all - plenty of today's A-list actors and actresses appeared in some really awful stuff before they had that one big hit which gave them the luxury of being able to choose between crap and not-crap.

But even so, I have high hopes for the two upcoming telefilms, particularly for the ABC Family one. When all is said and done, it wasn't Emmy-worthy material, but I really enjoyed "See Jane Date". And I really liked CC's work on "Miss Match". I might have enjoyed her work on "Veronica Mars" if the first half of the season hadn't led me to ditch the show entirely. So there's some good there, too - not all of her post-AtS work has been dreck. (But again - no arguments on "Flirting with Danger").

Old 06-05-2006, 11:49 AM   #26
Dannyblue
a.k.a. Danielle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Platypus
plenty of today's A-list actors and actresses appeared in some really awful stuff before they had that one big hit which gave them the luxury of being able to choose between crap and not-crap.
I give you Renée Zellweger and Matthew McConaughey in The Return of the Texas Chainsaw Massacre (or, it's alternate title, Texas Chainsaw Massacre: The Next Generation), which was worse than Voodoo Moon could ever manage to be, and which was made two years (at the most) before both became "names" in Hollywood. I actually saw The Return of the Texas Chainsaw Massacre after Jerry Maguire, A Time To Kill, etc., which made it very entertaining.

Last edited by Dannyblue; 06-05-2006 at 11:52 AM.
Dannyblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2006, 12:03 PM   #27
mef2101
TiVoholic! Have pity.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Platypus
I realize that I haven't had to endure the suck-itude of this particular movie, and I won't argue with you on "Flirting With Danger" (which I essentially had to fast forward through instead of watch), but I feel like cutting CC some slack here. First of all, she's still primarily a work-for-a-living actress, and sometimes you do really awful stuff because there's nothing else coming your way and you need to pay the bills. Voodoo Moon was shot quite a while ago (I believe), well before she landed the recurring role on Veronica Mars. I'm hopeful that the VM exposure means that the parts she's landing now are a little bit better - but even if they're not, I don't necessary think that means that Charisma's crap-screener is on the fritz. It just may mean she's decided it's better to be working in crap, than not working at all - plenty of today's A-list actors and actresses appeared in some really awful stuff before they had that one big hit which gave them the luxury of being able to choose between crap and not-crap.

But even so, I have high hopes for the two upcoming telefilms, particularly for the ABC Family one. When all is said and done, it wasn't Emmy-worthy material, but I really enjoyed "See Jane Date". And I really liked CC's work on "Miss Match". I might have enjoyed her work on "Veronica Mars" if the first half of the season hadn't led me to ditch the show entirely. So there's some good there, too - not all of her post-AtS work has been dreck. (But again - no arguments on "Flirting with Danger").
Let's hope your optimism is right. Thanks, I feel better about our girl.
mef2101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2006, 12:09 PM   #28
psychofilly
*My* Angel eats nuns.

I haven't seen the movie yet, but I think it must be an in-thing to do at least one crappy sci-fi movie for Sci-fi channel. Everybody, even some decent working actors (and most certainly the sci-fi genre people) have been in at least one. I'd like to see her do a rotation of Stargate. CC with MS or BB or JF? Rowwer. They'll have reached the Sci-Fi nirvana for me of having someone from Buffy, Angel, Farscape, Firelfy, Trek and X-Files at one time or another.

I realize that this was done a while back, but I wonder how much of her choice of films has to do with her concentrating hard to get a sitcom pilot instead of having a "film carreer." Maybe she should get DB's agent?
Old 06-05-2006, 12:21 PM   #29
Morrigan
Who Da Man?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by psychofilly
I'd like to see her do a rotation of Stargate. CC with MS or BB or JF? Rowwer. They'll have reached the Sci-Fi nirvana for me of having someone from Buffy, Angel, Farscape, Firelfy, Trek and X-Files at one time or another.
OK, MS = Michael Shanks
BB = Ben Browder
JF= ?? Prima's hottie from SG-A? I can't remember his name.

Oh and a big old yes to CC on SG. Even better, get CC on BSG, another Cylon? I could go for that.
Old 06-05-2006, 12:33 PM   #30
Platypus
The Pointy End

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morrigan
JF= ?? Prima's hottie from SG-A? I can't remember his name.
Ummmm..... he's not just Prima's hottie. He's hot enough that he belongs to several of us.

And Dannyblue, let's not forget that before she was a superstar, Michelle Pfeiffer starred in Grease 2.