Register Control Panel Search FAQ/Help/Guide Memberlist Forum Calendar The Stranger Things Store Home Stranger Things Home

Go Back   Stranger Things Forum > Main > Charisma Carpenter
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-19-2004, 11:05 PM   #1
ontheedge

UPN Fall schedule

Hey all. Unfortunately, I have some bad news. CC's pilot was not picked up according to the UPN schedule I have seen. Now, I don't watch the UPN comedies, so I suppose her show could be going by another name and actually on the schedule, but I'm pretty sure that's not the case. Right now, I have no info about mid-season replacements, so there is always hope for that. Knowing CC, I have no doubt we'll be seeing her on something sometime soon.

Anyway, here's the UPN sked for those interested:

UPN’s fall lineup:
(all times ET/PT):
Monday: One on One at 8; Half & Half, 8:30; Girlfriends, 9; Second Time Around, 9:30.
Tuesday: All of Us at 8; Eve, 8:30; Veronica Mars, 9.
Wednesday: America’s Next Top Model at 8; Kevin Hill, 9.
Thursday: WWE Smackdown! at 8.
Friday: Top Model repeats at 8; Star Trek: Enterprise, 9.
ontheedge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2004, 11:10 PM   #2
Penny Century
Rich girl, superhero

Wow, so they really did pick up only three new shows this season. I guess that Top Model repeat aced out the two extra new comedies they were planning.

Interesting to note that both the One on One spinoff and the Jenny McCarthy pilot, both of which were considered shoo-ins, didn't make the cut, either.

Oh well. This does leave open my other big hope, which is that CC will show up in a significant recurring role on a Big-Ass Network Drama.
Old 05-19-2004, 11:15 PM   #3
Platypus
The Pointy End

Thanks ontheedge. Sigh. I'll keep my fingers crossed for midseason replacement for a while longer, but I'm disappointed.

Off topic, I'm not sure why they've bothered renewing Enterprise, because it very much looks like they're hanging it out to dry. Not only is it buried on Friday night, but it has a repeat as a lead-in - not promising. Then again, the UPN Friday night movie ratings have been abysmal, so it should be able to show year-to-year gains in the time slot. Still - I would rather they had given a couple of sitcoms a shot in the 8 pm slot before relying on a reality repeat right from the start. I wonder how cash poor UPN is at the moment - I suspect that if they could have afforded to at least try out a new show, they would have.

Tact is just not saying true stuff. I'll pass.
Platypus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2004, 11:18 PM   #4
Penny Century
Rich girl, superhero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Platypus
I wonder how cash poor UPN is at the moment - I suspect that if they could have afforded to at least try out a new show, they would have.
This is one reason why, even though I'm disappointed, I'm thinking this isn't such a bad thing. UPN gained some ground this season, but I'm not sure it's off the critical list yet. I'd much rather its corporate big brother take a good look at CC and decide it wants another MTM.
Old 05-19-2004, 11:18 PM   #5
Shadow4Corangela
owner of a lonely heart

Quote:
Posted by Pen
Oh well. This does leave open my other big hope, which is that CC will show up in a significant recurring role on a Big-Ass Network Drama.
You think she's going to go back to do the TV movie if it happens? She said she had no intention of looking back.

But then again I could be wrong.
Shadow4Corangela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2004, 11:19 PM   #6
Penny Century
Rich girl, superhero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow4Corangela
You think she's going to go back to do the TV movie if it happens? She said she had no intention of looking back.
You're joking, right? I said "Big-Ass Network Drama," not "Canceled Cowtown Puppet Show."
Old 05-19-2004, 11:25 PM   #7
Platypus
The Pointy End

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penny Century
Canceled
Don't mind me. I swear, it's not like I'm celebrating or anything.

Tact is just not saying true stuff. I'll pass.
Platypus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2004, 11:35 PM   #8
v120176

And the weekend????

Can I ask something stupid (as usualy)?
What about weekends?.
Let me explain: here and in a lot of countries according from what I know, we have Simspsons, Reba, Malcom in the middle, Futurama, Arrested development... all comedy. That's the sunday, and for saturday, they repeat 24 (with a very good reception here) and True Calling. That's Fox, who is the leader in TV cable. Another ones like WB goes with Friends (here new episodes) and ER reruns (happening the same as 24).

I don't know how it's the usual way in USA, but I know The Simpsons goes on Sunday (I wait for the torrents ). So, what does UPN do those days?
It's for you a good time slot or a dead one (for more information, here if you have a show on Friday night in open TV you have one of the best schedule you can ask)

Plus there's something I don't understand, why you order so much comedy pilots if you're not gonna pick that kind of show? How it works the middle season replacement (contractualy speaking)? They made some kind of "reservation" of the actors, because they could have another offer and goodbye show?

V.
v120176 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2004, 11:41 PM   #9
Penny Century
Rich girl, superhero

Val, the biggest U.S. networks do have original programming on the weekends, but UPN doesn't.
Old 05-19-2004, 11:43 PM   #10
ontheedge

UPN only airs shows Monday through Friday. They don't air shows on Saturday and Sunday. The WB doesn't air shows on Saturday. But ABC, CBS, NBC and FOX all air shows seven days a week, although FOX only has two hours of prime-time programming a night (as does The WB and UPN), while ABC, CBS and NBC have three hours of programming a night.

As far as why UPN didn't pick up more new comedies, who knows? In a surprise move, they decided to go with two one-hour dramas instead (for each drama, of couse, you could schedule two sitcoms). Not sure what they're thinking was on that, since dramas, other than Star Trek, haven't really done all that well on UPN.

As for midseason replacement series, usually the creators, producers and cast and crew get a heads up if they are selected as a midseason replacement. They are usually told at the same time other shows are picked up for Fall (in other words now). So that way, they can lock the actors in and not have to worry about losing them to another show.

Hope that answers your questions.
ontheedge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2004, 11:54 PM   #11
v120176

Yes. Thank you, both, for the answers.

Something that I thought for maybe a thread in TV board, how different seems to be the best schedule in the different places. Example: if you have to put ATS here I'll go with the 10 pm (like Fox does) or even 11 pm. Yes, the time slot for the 11 pm is usualy reserved for weekly shows (with a lot of rating) or mini-series with big production. At 10 we have some tv family comedy (one hour) and the 8 pm timeslot is yuck (news or similars).... That's why I usualy don't understand too much about programing .... we're weird.

V.
v120176 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2004, 12:25 AM   #12
Bibliophile

Variety has confirmation on the schedule posted earlier.
Quote:
As expected, net has ordered two new dramas, a new comedy and just a single laffer. "Star Trek: Enterprise" is also back, with insiders confirming the skein will shift to Fridays at 9 p.m. (Daily Variety, May 19).
It doesn't look good for midseason, either, since only one show is mentioned as a possible replacement.
Quote:
There's word UPN may give drama "Beck and Call" a midseason order, but that couldn't be confirmed late Wednesday.
ETA: From Hollywood Reporter
Quote:
UPN will shake up its lineup with the addition of two new dramas, one new comedy and the replacement of its low-rated Friday movie slot with series programming.

Last edited by Bibliophile; 05-20-2004 at 12:31 AM.
Bibliophile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2004, 12:48 AM   #13
MrPresident

This sucks. I'm depressed. If anyone needs me, I'll be in a dark hole.
MrPresident is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2004, 07:52 AM   #14
Gabriella
Until we bleed...

A passionate 'ship is always about the person you want to BE hooking up with the person you want to SCREW - samluvharrison

Charisma's Bitch #186~Team Cordy #186~Gutter Gal #186

She acts like summer and walks like rain
Gabriella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2004, 08:07 AM   #15
Jake

Realistically:
- this is a bad bad year to try to get a new comedy on any network
- the premise of Cats&Dogs was quite weak
- the show did not fit with UPN's other programming
- her co-star makes you want to turn the channel or leave the room
- the chances of early (think Jake 2.0) cancellation were very high if it made the schedule
- remember also that this was UPN, not exactly the top US network
- getting a quick cancellation on UPN would not have been a major career boost

As one who usually can find dark clouds looming on even the brightest of days, even I'm not too upset about this. I just hope she gets something substantial, and quickly. CC may also have to recognize that, in today's market, going out for new comedies is a very high risk game and that, notwithstanding the more difficult schedule, she may have better luck hunting for one-hours.

Having said all that, I'm sure getting to hate these upfronts.
Jake is offline   Reply With Quote