Register Control Panel Search FAQ/Help/Guide Memberlist Forum Calendar The Stranger Things Store Home Stranger Things Home

Go Back   Stranger Things Forum > Main > The Cordyverse
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-20-2005, 05:39 PM   #16
v120176

first, this is Wrongda, guys. And second people asked about this to Joss at the Convention. Not that Joss is very reliable and sincere, but why not say this?

And third, if the best they can get is a DVD movie, we can say goodbye to a big screen movie and to any participation of SMG on it. I mean, even with all the noise for the end of BTVS, for the cancellation of ATS, for the campaigns for Faith/Spike spinoff, etc, this just prooves that none of the big studios really care about the fandom. Hell, even Firefly with what? 7 episodes? got a movie. Here the most popular character of the Buffyverse (hey! they said that at the beggining of ATS 5 ) only gets a DVD movie? Maybe this is a shock of reality for some fans who thinks all the studios loves and respect the Buffyverse. Don't get me wrong. To me the DVD movies are ok and I know they made tons of money, but what the fans wanted was a big screen movie (and I bet that Joss wanted that too).

V.
v120176 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2005, 06:01 PM   #17
Kate

there's a rumour (reliable spoiler source) that James will play in Smallville.
Kate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2005, 09:05 PM   #19
LaLa247
Wooo!

Big shock.
Charisma's Bitch #1

"Treat everyone the same until you find out they're an idiot." -- Lucy Lawless

President Bush DID have a sure fire plan to end the war in Iraq, However Chuck Norris was busy that day.
LaLa247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2005, 09:29 PM   #20
Prima
I have no idea...

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaLa247
Big shock.
They don't call her Wrongda for nothing.

Why they pay her for it is another story all together.

"...speculating on the sadomasochistic dominance games of the White House staff is always more interesting and topical than shipper wars." --Cordy's Bitch

"OMG GOD HATES ME BECAUSE HE DIDN'T MAKE JESUS/PETER CANON! I'M QUITTING THIS FANDOM, AND I AM TOTALLY NOT FINISHING REVELATIONS!" --latara
Prima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2005, 09:35 PM   #21
Penny Century
Rich girl, superhero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prima
They don't call her Wrongda for nothing.

Why they pay her for it is another story all together.
"Look, I mentioned the Buffyverse again! Hit my link! Read my column! Come back, Shane!..."
Old 07-20-2005, 09:35 PM   #22
SamIAm
It's all about Cordy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penny Century
"...Come back, Shane!..."
::snerk::
Old 07-20-2005, 09:45 PM   #23
Morrigan
Who Da Man?!

Oh darn and I was so looking forward to not buying it.

I will say this, I fully expect that in the very near future movies/TV shows won't even air on the networks. I expect shows to just start going straight to DVD. That does seem to be where all the $ is. Of course I'm a cheap bitch and won't buy any DVDs so I guess I'll have to start reading again.
Old 07-20-2005, 09:45 PM   #24
Adrian_Tepes
SPD! Emergency!

I wouldn't say it kills any interest by a Studio in a big screen movie.

I mean look around and what is being licensed and made into movies NOW, for example. Dukes of Hazzard anyone?

Joss will get his Spike movie, maybe just on the DVD release maybe not. I've learned to not underestimate his capacity for spin jobs.
Adrian_Tepes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2005, 10:11 PM   #25
tojoson

Quote:
Originally Posted by morrigan
I will say this, I fully expect that in the very near future movies/TV shows won't even air on the networks. I expect shows to just start going straight to DVD. That does seem to be where all the $ is.
morrigan, i fully agree with you, in fact, i posted on this about 3 months ago

http://www.stranger-things.net/forum...ad.php?t=18910
Old 07-20-2005, 11:03 PM   #26
Cordy's Bitch
Not amused

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morrigan
Oh darn and I was so looking forward to not buying it.

I will say this, I fully expect that in the very near future movies/TV shows won't even air on the networks. I expect shows to just start going straight to DVD. That does seem to be where all the $ is. Of course I'm a cheap bitch and won't buy any DVDs so I guess I'll have to start reading again.
Nah...it'll be on demand digital, baby. Download to your ipod, or some something similar. I don't understand why they don't do it now with TiVO type machines. A broadcast network where you make your own schedule. You could subscribe to Lost, sample an ep of Alias, etc...
"Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair. Or fuckin' beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Till then you've got a lot more punishment in store. So stand it like a man, and give some back."
Cordy's Bitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2005, 12:51 AM   #27
silveragent

Penny -- too funny. Hehehe. Spike on SV? How typecast.

I dunno though on any viability past SMG. Spike movie? Joss doesn't own it, and he seems to have a lot of bad blood with Fox. I think with DVDs cheap at my Supermarket checkout, it's a different thing than just a few years ago.

LAT actually did a decent job of covering this, DVD revenues are down, all around, see Dreamworks Animation, Shrek 2 and Sharktales, revenue restatement of, stock price falling of. Retailers are ruthless in dumping poorly selling titles and shelf space is limited requiring lots of courting Wal-Mart and the like who are big players. Most titles stay in stores for only a few week (hence Dreamworks revenue booking problems). Theatrical release is more like a marketing campaign for DVD. All of that screams mass-market which tends to squeeze out cult/niche players like Joss and the Buffyverse.

Until/unless America gets true South Korean style broadband, etc. [It's a rights issue plus network throughput CB]

I agree that hell a Dukes of Hazzard movie equals total creative bankruptcy, and yeah Fox would want to milk out more money. I just don't think Spike is the most popular Buffyverse character (as if) and that Fox would want to go that way or involve Joss after he made enemies there. Joe moviegoer knows SMG, has no idea of Joss, and heck they made Hellblazer and V is for Vendetta (ahem, bad timing on that one) without any involvement and even protests by Alan Moore. They got Keanu Reeves and Natalie Portman. By Hollywood standards that works.

[Insert random Buffy movie casting here: Jessica Simpson as Buffy, Lindsay Lohan as Willow, the Rock as Angel, Sean William Scott as Xander, John Cleese as Giles]
silveragent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2005, 01:24 AM   #28
skippcomet

If they did a Spike movie direct to DVD, who do they expect the audience to be? Loyal Spikefen, probably some Spuffies, fans of JM, and diehard Whedon loyalists. Check. And in the other corner are those who won't pick it up -- Spike-haters, those who associate Spike's rise in prominence with the downward trend in show quality, fans of other characters who are sick to death of Spike, burned former fans of Whedon who've been muttering for years that Emperor Joss isn't wearing a fancy new suit (to say nothing of his obvious, ah, shortcomings ), people who simply don't give a damn about JM's career.
skippcomet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2005, 01:55 AM   #29
Cordy's Bitch
Not amused

Quote:
Originally Posted by silveragent

Until/unless America gets true South Korean style broadband, etc. [It's a rights issue plus network throughput CB]

]
Were you addressing me here? I understand that there are legal issues to be worked out in my on demand scenario, but I believe they will be resolved in due time.
"Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair. Or fuckin' beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Till then you've got a lot more punishment in store. So stand it like a man, and give some back."
Cordy's Bitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2005, 03:07 AM   #30
Adrian_Tepes
SPD! Emergency!

DVD revenues are down because of the growth of the file sharing industry. It doesn't make any sense to buy the movies on disc when you can download them for free essentially. That too will sooner or later have to be addressed.

And it doesn't really matter what Joe Moviegoer thinks. As pointed out time and time again, Joss appeals to the people MAKING the movies most of whom have lost all touch with reality. As long as those people are in charge of things, he'll have an 'in' with them.

So look for a Spike/Faith movie at some point with lots of whiny about Buffy from both characters and guest appearances from Willow and Giles and Andrew as your supporting cast member.
Adrian_Tepes is offline   Reply With Quote