Register Control Panel Search FAQ/Help/Guide Memberlist Forum Calendar The Stranger Things Store Home Stranger Things Home

Go Back   Stranger Things Forum > Main > TV Party!
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-14-2011, 10:07 PM   #61
chorelle

I saw the last episode last night (Australia is slightly slower at airing TVD), and I have to say I did like his speech at the end, and I think everyone knows he will be back soon, but I guess I still don't like the guy

I'm finding that I like everyone else on the show too, and I'm definitely warming to Stefan/Elena, who were just too cute this episode. Stefan/Caroline is still my OTP for the show though, I seriously hang out for any interaction between those two.

Oh and Jeremy/Bonnie was so adorable. Caroline is such a matchmaker, I love it!
Old 02-15-2011, 12:06 AM   #62
Dannyblue
a.k.a. Danielle

Hate to say it, but the Being Human remake has sort of supplanted TVD as my favorite vampire show of the moment. And I have to admit that TVD never quite hooked me the way some other shows have, but I find it entertaining, and it was my weekly vampire fix. (I tried to get into True Blood but just couldn't for some reason.) However, BHUS is kind of kicking its ass when it comes to emotional punch and character development.

I still do enjoy TVD though.
Old 02-15-2011, 04:26 AM   #63
chorelle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dannyblue View Post
Hate to say it, but the Being Human remake has sort of supplanted TVD as my favorite vampire show of the moment.
Being Human is on my list of show to watch, which is a pretty extensive list! I'm trying to watch shows that are actually on my TV, which is quite lackluster in Australia, but TVD is my guilty pleasure show of the moment!
Old 02-15-2011, 09:10 AM   #64
Morrigan
Who Da Man?!

Quote:
Hate to say it, but the Being Human remake has sort of supplanted TVD as my favorite vampire show of the moment. And I have to admit that TVD never quite hooked me the way some other shows have, but I find it entertaining, and it was my weekly vampire fix. (I tried to get into True Blood but just couldn't for some reason.) However, BHUS is kind of kicking its ass when it comes to emotional punch and character development.

I still do enjoy TVD though.
I agree with you and it's more (for me) to do with S2 of TVD focusing too much on the Damon/Elena/Stefan triangle and focusing too much on Damon's redemption (which is totally stalled and just a repetitive cycle of Damon feels bad/Damon lashes out and kills someone/Damon gets forgiven b/c he's Damon).

I don't like the fact that the one adult in on the whole Vampire gang's plans (Alaric) is basically like, dude it's OK for you to mind!f*ck Andie and totally compel her to love you and run around town like an idiot saying how awesome her new boo is (especially when she was scared sh!tless of him pre-compulsion) but just don't kill her b/c she's Jenna's friend and that would make my life awkward.

Seriously? WTF! I can't help but think would Giles do/say that? NOPE!

Sorry this is a big issue for me b/c I liked Damon in S1 but in S2 it's like they're trying to out woobie Smallvilles, Lex Luthor and it doesn't work for me.

Frankly at this point I'm fast forwarding through all Damon/Elena scenes and cringing at any Damon/other scene b/c they tick me off.
Old 02-15-2011, 12:06 PM   #65
Dannyblue
a.k.a. Danielle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morrigan View Post
I agree with you and it's more (for me) to do with S2 of TVD focusing too much on the Damon/Elena/Stefan triangle and focusing too much on Damon's redemption (which is totally stalled and just a repetitive cycle of Damon feels bad/Damon lashes out and kills someone/Damon gets forgiven b/c he's Damon).

I don't like the fact that the one adult in on the whole Vampire gang's plans (Alaric) is basically like, dude it's OK for you to mind!f*ck Andie and totally compel her to love you and run around town like an idiot saying how awesome her new boo is (especially when she was scared sh!tless of him pre-compulsion) but just don't kill her b/c she's Jenna's friend and that would make my life awkward.

Seriously? WTF! I can't help but think would Giles do/say that? NOPE!

Sorry this is a big issue for me b/c I liked Damon in S1 but in S2 it's like they're trying to out woobie Smallvilles, Lex Luthor and it doesn't work for me.

Frankly at this point I'm fast forwarding through all Damon/Elena scenes and cringing at any Damon/other scene b/c they tick me off.
Agree with a lot of what you said, Morrigan. But, for me, the big issue is that the show doesn't have that emotional punch it's supposed to. And I will forgive a show many a flaw if can punch my emotion buttons. But, with TVD, a lot of big, serious things happen that I know are supposed to be really affecting me emotionally, but they don't. Not as much as I'm sure the writers would like anyway.

Take Damon's revelation about how he misses being human. A moment like that should've had my eyes wide and my heart racing. I should've been leaning forward in my seat trying to catch every word. But the most I could work up was some mild interest.

Or what about Tyler leaving town? That's the kind of thing writers do to make the viewers burst into tears, or at least get misty-eyed. But TVD didn't do enough to make me invest in that character to make a moment like that have a lot of impact for me. I didn't even feel particularly sad. Instead, I was busy wondering when Tyler would be coming back, and if the actor had some side project that required him to take some time off from the show. Which is not what I should be thinking about during what's supposed to be a very emotional and heartbreaking series of events.

All that being said, it doesn't mean I don't like watching the show for the most part. I just wish the writers would focus less on the plotty stuff, high-speed pacing, and contriving ways for Damon/Elena to have little "moments" that are innocent on Elena's part but will keep the shippers happy, and spend more time on fleshing out the characters and the various relationships. (Not just the romantic ones.)
Old 02-16-2011, 09:38 AM   #66
Morrigan
Who Da Man?!

Quote:
Agree with a lot of what you said, Morrigan. But, for me, the big issue is that the show doesn't have that emotional punch it's supposed to. And I will forgive a show many a flaw if can punch my emotion buttons. But, with TVD, a lot of big, serious things happen that I know are supposed to be really affecting me emotionally, but they don't. Not as much as I'm sure the writers would like anyway.
It used to have an emotional punch for me, I really enjoyed S1 and early S2 with Caroline becoming a Vampire was a great twist.

Quote:
Take Damon's revelation about how he misses being human. A moment like that should've had my eyes wide and my heart racing. I should've been leaning forward in my seat trying to catch every word. But the most I could work up was some mild interest.
All that earned them (from me) was a complete eyeroll...

Quote:
Or what about Tyler leaving town? That's the kind of thing writers do to make the viewers burst into tears, or at least get misty-eyed. But TVD didn't do enough to make me invest in that character to make a moment like that have a lot of impact for me. I didn't even feel particularly sad. Instead, I was busy wondering when Tyler would be coming back, and if the actor had some side project that required him to take some time off from the show. Which is not what I should be thinking about during what's supposed to be a very emotional and heartbreaking series of events.
Tyler leaving town didn't phase me and I really like Tyler this season. I figured he'd be back before long so I wasn't moved by it. Although, I really enjoyed Tyler/Caroline so I was moved with Tyler's discussion with Matt b/c Matt never treated Caroline right.

The biggest issue for me, with this show is that they rush through the plots so quickly that they pretty much leave character growth/depth along the way side.