Register Control Panel Search FAQ/Help/Guide Memberlist Forum Calendar The Stranger Things Store Home Stranger Things Home

Go Back   Stranger Things Forum > Main > TV Party! > TV Class Reunion!
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-28-2009, 09:55 AM   #46
aikakone
SpunkyMisunderstoodGenius

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morrigan View Post
From what I've read around the net, FOX kept DH over T:SCC because DH was cheaper to produce.
That's interesting given the "cost cutback" talk they were discussing last summer when DH was going to be retooled (including more commercial breaks to get advertising revenue).
Wesley Brigadier #9
Team Cordy #245
What do you call a bunch of militant CC fans? A Charis-militia!
aikakone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 10:48 PM   #47
jerry

Quote:
Originally Posted by aikakone View Post
Over Christmas break, I watched episodes 6-10 thanks to the wonders of Hulu.

I really liked where the show went, and I agree with a SciFi Wire post that said this should have been season 1. It made the characters much more interesting.
I can see that argument, but I think you have to establish the status quo before you can subvert it. Season 1 could have been better, but I don't think you could start with S2.

Quote:
As the episodes went on, Ir ealized I actually liked Echo, this newer, self-aware Echo a lot better than the Caroline that we've seen. I find it interesting that she doesn't want to die or go away, just like Claire who didn't want to go back to being merely Whiskey.

I also find interesting the idea of Echo having become a real person, one who doesn't want to surrender control to Caroline, with whom she really does not identify at all. I don't know if there's time to really dig into that, but it's an interesting concept.
jerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 12:22 AM   #48
Kea

Quote:
From what I've read around the net, FOX kept DH over T:SCC because DH was cheaper to produce. -Morrigan
I think TSCC and DH cost about the same.
But to get a S2 DH cut its production cost almost in half to get that season 2. In the end FOX only wanted one show.

Plus DH was produced in house (by FOX).
Unlike TSCC that was produced by WB (who then got money off of the DVD sales) unlike FOX who only got commercial revenue.

I think a number of things came into play...

Besides they thought the T4 movie would be huge...instead they got lots of reviewers who said that TSCC was better then the T4 film. As for TSCC with the franchise now for sale…who knows.

Last edited by Kea; 12-30-2009 at 12:29 AM.
Kea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2010, 07:32 PM   #49
aikakone

Just got done watching yesterday's new episode thanks to Hulu, and I absolutely loved Amy Acker in it. I haven't always loved her acting, but I'm realizing that she's quite good.

In this role, I thought she looked smokin' hot in that suit, and she totally exhibited male mannerisms. A good example is when she's sitting beside Adele. The certain splay of her legs is totally a typical male mannerism. Way to go Amy!
Wesley Brigadier #9
Team Cordy #245
Old 01-16-2010, 08:39 PM   #50
jerry

Amy's a much better actress than the role of Fred showed her to be. All her work since then - as Illyria, and everything since - has been very effective.
jerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2010, 10:10 PM   #51
aikakone

Also, I know Eliza has gotten a lot of criticism for her acting, and in these recent episodes with both Echo and Caroline... I really couldn't tell teh difference between the characters. I'm not saying the writing is blameless, but that's an acting fail in my book. Contrast that to the awesomeness of Amy who had three characters in the story.
Wesley Brigadier #9
Team Cordy #245
Old 01-17-2010, 11:25 AM   #52
SamIAm
It's all about Cordy.

On the other hand, Topher is still insufferable when Fran Kranz isn't playing him. And I despise ME all over again for killing Mellie.
Old 01-17-2010, 12:51 PM   #53
aikakone

Acting-wise, I loved Enver as Topher. He really did nail the character. I like how even his voice changed to be more Topher-like. (Different register than Enver normally uses.)

Also... loved innocent Boyd at the end.
Wesley Brigadier #9
Team Cordy #245
Old 01-17-2010, 03:10 PM   #54
SamIAm
It's all about Cordy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aikakone View Post
Acting-wise, I loved Enver as Topher. He really did nail the character.
Yeah, I'm not slighting the actor; he does a fine job of being someone else. I just think Topher is just way more annoying when Gjokaj plays him than when Kranz does. I don't know why exactly, but there you go. Probably some deep-seated psychological thing going on.
Old 01-20-2010, 10:34 PM   #55
Syn
insane clown girl

Was anyone else completely gob-smacked by Boyd's real identity? Cuz I was...and then some.

I really want the finale to end on a dark note. You just don't see that enough. Also, I want Alpha to show up again. Then again, I always want him to show up. It's a sickness. Damn you Alan Tudyk, you sexy sexy sexy sexy man. lol
Old 01-21-2010, 01:08 AM   #56
Emmangel
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syn View Post
Was anyone else completely gob-smacked by Boyd's real identity?
I was, and thought it was rather cool, for a minute, and then I started to back track and realise that since they decided to recently make him the bad quy at the last minute, his actions back in season one etc didn't track (though you might be able to fanwank that by his being slightly nuts last episode).

Things like that annoy the hell out of me, and I can't get past them. OCD brain I'm afraid!

Quote:
Also, I want Alpha to show up again. Then again, I always want him to show up. It's a sickness. Damn you Alan Tudyk, you sexy sexy sexy sexy man. lol
Can he bring Dominic too? Because I want to see him again, very, very much.
Old 01-21-2010, 11:46 AM   #57
Syn
insane clown girl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emmangel View Post
Can he bring Dominic too? Because I want to see him again, very, very much.
Who was the guy who raped Sierra/Priya? Because I can't remember, and I want to like Dominic, but if he's the guy who did that, then I am just not down with that. I really need to rewatch season one, because I don't know why Dominic was in the Attic. Did I miss that episode? I'm all confuzzled.
Old 01-21-2010, 12:45 PM   #58
SamIAm
It's all about Cordy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syn View Post
Who was the guy who raped Sierra/Priya? Because I can't remember, and I want to like Dominic, but if he's the guy who did that, then I am just not down with that.
Dominic is the former head of security who turned out to be an NSA spy. Adelle caught him being a spy and sent him to the Attic. The guy who raped Priya is deader than a really dead thing. Topher added a little giddy-up to Priya and restored Priya to Sierra when she was released to the guy. When the guy tried to recreate the events, Priya stabbed him. Topher and Boyd bonded over cutting up and disposing of his body. Priya in turn was so freaked by killing him that she volunteered to be Sierra again so Topher could take the memory away. It's all very Zen, really.

Dominic's thing was trying to kill Echo. Not sure why he was hell-bent on killing her specifically, but there you go.
Old 01-21-2010, 01:53 PM   #59
Emmangel
Administrator

Unless you're talking about the other guy. He was her handler (played by the dude from Final Conflict).

November killed him after Adelle sent him after her (when she activated November's sleeper protocols).

I always assumed Dominic wanted Echo dead because he could tell she was evolving and thus was a threat as she could expose him?
Old 01-21-2010, 02:29 PM   #60
SamIAm
It's all about Cordy.

Quote:
Unless you're talking about the other guy. He was her handler (played by the dude from Final Conflict).
Right, forgot about him.

Quote:
I always assumed Dominic wanted Echo dead because he could tell she was evolving and thus was a threat as she could expose him?
Maybe. I can't think too much about this show without getting a headache, so it really could have been a lot of reasons. Even 'just because'. After all, it is an ME production.