Register Control Panel Search FAQ/Help/Guide Memberlist Forum Calendar The Stranger Things Store Home Stranger Things Home

Go Back   Stranger Things Forum > Main > General
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-06-2007, 09:45 PM   #1
Penny Century
Rich girl, superhero

R.I.P. Luciano Pavarotti

Old 09-06-2007, 11:34 PM   #2
Lovin' Lorne
Too Hot For Words

I knew he was ill, but I guess I didn't realize just how ill. Such a talent. RIP indeed.

Where's Blue? Please help if you can.
Lovin' Lorne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2007, 08:18 AM   #3
Morrigan
Who Da Man?!

You know, I had a feeling the end was close when the Italian government made an announcement about his health being ill. I just never thought it would happen so quickly.

I got to see The Three Tenors at Giant's Stadium several years ago, the acoustics in that place are not meant for Opera but it was wonderful to see him perform. He took such joy in his singing and seemed to have fun with everything.

Hearing about this yesterday was quite sad, I know he's famous for Nessun Dorma but I love La Donna E Mobile especially with the 3 Tenors, he's just so cute to watch.

Old 09-07-2007, 10:22 AM   #4
Penny Century
Rich girl, superhero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morrigan View Post
I know he's famous for Nessun Dorma but I love La Donna E Mobile especially with the 3 Tenors, he's just so cute to watch.
He always seemed to have so much fun with the lyric stuff.

A lot of people have sort of seized on the fact that Pavarotti died at 5 a.m. local time, which does give Nessun dorma's "victory at dawn" theme a whole new resonance. I've lost count of the memorial messages posted around that either begin or end with, or say simply, "All'alba vincerò!" When you think about what a grim opera Turandot is for most of its length, when Nessun dorma comes along in the last act it really does sound like dawn breaking. The parallels to Pavarotti's fight with pancreatic cancer are pretty unavoidable.

That said, I like this one: Una furtiva lagrima, from The Elixir of Love:

Old 09-08-2007, 09:06 AM   #5
starlet2367
glitterati

To lose Pavarotti and Sills within two months of each other breaks my heart. What lights! What voices! Between the two of them, they brought opera to everyone. I still remember Sills on The Muppets and Pavarotti singing with Bono and Sting.

Penny, was the Nessun Dorma clip from his last performance in Turin? Look at the conductor singing with him -- the delicacy of the baton work, the way he guides the orchestra around Pavarotti. And then, at the end, the way Pavarotti keeps singing, even after he's stopped producing sound. God, it's awe-inspiring to watch him. I'm glad we have films of him like this so we can watch him forever.
starlet2367 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2007, 09:33 AM   #6
Penny Century
Rich girl, superhero

Quote:
Originally Posted by starlet2367 View Post
Penny, was the Nessun Dorma clip from his last performance in Turin? Look at the conductor singing with him -- the delicacy of the baton work, the way he guides the orchestra around Pavarotti. And then, at the end, the way Pavarotti keeps singing, even after he's stopped producing sound. God, it's awe-inspiring to watch him. I'm glad we have films of him like this so we can watch him forever.
The clip at the top is from an earlier performance -- here's one of his final performance at the 2006 Torino opening ceremonies. Arguably not his best, but possibly his most moving -- he's really living the music, as if he knew this would be the last time he sang this song for the world.

Old 09-08-2007, 09:56 PM   #7
Luna
The heart never dies

Such a great singer! May he rest in peace!

I can imagine how he had suffered because my father died from the same kind of cancer.

I hope he´s happy where he is now!