Register Control Panel Search FAQ/Help/Guide Memberlist Forum Calendar The Stranger Things Store Home Stranger Things Home

Go Back   Stranger Things Forum > Main > The Cordyverse
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-20-2005, 09:57 AM   #1
Kate

Spike movie straight to DVD?

http://www.eonline.com/Insider/Boards/ann.jspa?annID=12

I think it's weird that they won't show it on TV first.
Kate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2005, 11:10 AM   #2
Adrian_Tepes
SPD! Emergency!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kate
http://www.eonline.com/Insider/Boards/ann.jspa?annID=12

I think it's weird that they won't show it on TV first.
Not really. Disney does that with a lot of their movies.
Adrian_Tepes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2005, 01:24 PM   #3
Morrigan
Who Da Man?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrian_Tepes
Not really. Disney does that with a lot of their movies.
Yeah, but you have a built in TV audience right there. The fact that they can't get the movie on the WB doesn't sound good at all.

Unless someone can supply a reason why going straight to DVD would be better?
Old 07-20-2005, 01:38 PM   #4
DamnSkippy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morrigan
I'm just theorizing here because I really don't know, but perhaps they see it as a limited audience that they can make more money from DVD sales than from advertising dollars on TV. Why let the small number of cult fans tape it and not spend the money on the DVD? Not that they wouldn't do both, but it is perhaps a consideration.

Or maybe no advertisers want to pay their asking price to air it, so going straight to DVD gives them a bigger profit.
DamnSkippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2005, 02:15 PM   #5
Mr.Brightside
Queen Charisma...

I remember when I meant Clare Kramer/Glory, she told me the same exact thing. Said "the lastest was a Spike movie". That she talk to James a week ago, and he said that he was all up for it. I went to a comic convention in New Jersey, about month ago. That's where I meant her. But its weird that this movie is going to dvd then Tv. It would be smart to put it on Tv and then put on dvd. Wouldn't you make more money like that?

"I grow up in Quor Toth....A Hell Dimension"
"Full of all sorts of things that you can't even imagine"

Mr.Brightside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2005, 02:39 PM   #6
Cordy's Bitch
Not amused

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Brightside
I remember when I meant Clare Kramer/Glory, she told me the same exact thing. Said "the lastest was a Spike movie". That she talk to James a week ago, and he said that he was all up for it. I went to a comic convention in New Jersey, about month ago. That's where I meant her. But its weird that this movie is going to dvd then Tv. It would be smart to put it on Tv and then put on dvd. Wouldn't you make more money like that?
Not if they can't sell the advertising. Advertisers might not think there's enough interest to justify spending money on commercial airtime for what is essentially a nostalgia project for a cult show. Networks like SciFi can get away with it (as they did with Farscape: Peacekeeper War), but I don't think the WB really needs or wants to go backward like that.

And personally, I'd like to think that James Marsters had better opportunities out there than this, and that enough was enough.

I don't need anymore, thank you. I almost gagged on the last bit of Buffyverse I ate.
"Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair. Or fuckin' beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Till then you've got a lot more punishment in store. So stand it like a man, and give some back."
Cordy's Bitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2005, 03:39 PM   #7
silveragent

I don't buy it. WHY release a DVD only movie?

Kristin? Isn't she Wrongda?
silveragent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2005, 03:41 PM   #8
Cordy's Bitch
Not amused

Quote:
Originally Posted by silveragent
I don't buy it. WHY release a DVD only movie?
I don't know. Let's ask those dudes at Disney that released Mulan 2 and such. I'm sure they don't know anything about the market.
"Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair. Or fuckin' beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Till then you've got a lot more punishment in store. So stand it like a man, and give some back."
Old 07-20-2005, 03:50 PM   #9
silveragent

But Mulan 2 is animated. More expensive live action and without the pull of Disney kids stuff.
silveragent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2005, 03:57 PM   #10
Morrigan
Who Da Man?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cordy's Bitch
I don't know. Let's ask those dudes at Disney that released Mulan 2 and such. I'm sure they don't know anything about the market.
And I have the same response to this that I do to all of those Disney sequels released to VHS/DVD, it ain't worth my time. Have you seen an actual Disney squeal that was anywhere near as good as the original? They all sucked

But that does make sense, I guess, you can count on kids wanting to see these movies no matter the quality because they're familiar. Do you think that's what ME/FOX is counting on?

ETA: Where does Disney come into this, other than having the market cornered on straight to DVD sequels?
Old 07-20-2005, 03:59 PM   #11
Cordy's Bitch
Not amused

Quote:
Originally Posted by silveragent
More expensive live action and without the pull of Disney kids stuff.
I'm not sure that any further BTVS stuff wouldn't be considered as the same kind of niche market, if not smaller. From Dusk Til Dawn 3, anyone? Cruel Intentions 2? The Crow 4?

ETA: Morrigan, I was just using Disney as an example of a major corporation who saw straight to DVD as a viable marketing strategy/outlet.

Last edited by Cordy's Bitch; 07-20-2005 at 04:03 PM.
Old 07-20-2005, 04:37 PM   #12
Lovin' Lorne
Too Hot For Words

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cordy's Bitch
And personally, I'd like to think that James Marsters had better opportunities out there than this, and that enough was enough.
I'd like to think so too, but maybe he's turning out to be the most type cast of all. I thought for sure we would have seen him in more stuff by now. Kinda like I figured we would have seen Alexis picked up for something by now as well. I guess you just never know.

Where's Blue? Please help if you can.
Lovin' Lorne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2005, 04:58 PM   #13
brownsbros3

Speaking from experience as a former video store employee, usually when a movie goes straight to video or DVD, that usually means its not very good.
brownsbros3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2005, 05:15 PM   #14
Adrian_Tepes
SPD! Emergency!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morrigan
Yeah, but you have a built in TV audience right there. The fact that they can't get the movie on the WB doesn't sound good at all.

Joss does have a built in TV audience, just a considerably smaller one than Disney. Add in the fact that the hacks running the Sci-Fi channel will be creaming themselves running to pay him the money for the rights for the first ever broadcast of said movie ad you have a recipe for limited success that is exactly the thing Joss would go for.

That way he's in a no lose situation. If the movie doesn't sell well he can say that there wasn't enough money behind the making of it and if it does, he can boast of what he could do with more money and power.

And TV execs generally being idiots and the people he hangs around with, one of them will believe him and give him what he wants.

Really you have to admire a man who's managed to parlay his limited creative skills together with an as yet unmatched or unchallenged mastery of spin doctoring into the career he's had. He has completely bullfeathered everyone who has the power to hurt his career into thinking he's so much than he really is and that nothing is ever his fault.
Adrian_Tepes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2005, 05:35 PM   #15
Morrigan
Who Da Man?!

Thanks Skippy, CB and A_T, I guess I can kind of see the logic in a move like this but I have to say, right or wrong, it totally reeks of being a bad B-flick move.