Register Control Panel Search FAQ/Help/Guide Memberlist Forum Calendar The Stranger Things Store Home Stranger Things Home

Go Back   Stranger Things Forum > Special Presentations > The David Boreanaz Thank-You Ad

Old 03-25-2004, 12:00 PM   #1
Penny Century
Rich girl, superhero

The David Boreanaz Thank-You Ad, Pt. 2: Who's Your Daddy?

Welcome to yet another thread devoted to the DB ad! Joining us late? Clique here for the History Mix.

Here's the update:

Upon consulting with The Hive Mind Collective™, we've chosen the June 14 Hollywood Reporter as our target. This is the annual "Emmy Watch: Actors" issue, which will be a great fit and should help us avoid any possible or perceived interference with the Save Angel campaign's efforts.

A full-page ad in this issue will cost us $2,700. In the case of excess or insufficiency of funds, those monies will go to DB's favorite charity in his name.

Based on input from both boards and the photographer's professional advice, we're using this photo. The photographer, Mark Robert Halper, and his agency are allowing us royalty-free usage in exchange for credit of an appropriate size and placement. Yay! Psychofilly, DamnSkippy, and a friend of Kas' all are trying their hand at a final design; e-mail me at penny@stranger-things.net if you'd like to do the same. I've posted a reference copy of the proof-of-concept ad I created for Mark's approval on the credit line; it has the latest version of the ad copy itself, so post your suggestions for tweaks.

Here's the latest draft of the ad text:
Quote:
"He's got a kind of power and a...scintillating, burning quality in his eyes; he's got a spirit of play in him." -- Sean Astin, actor and Angel director, about David Boreanaz

Over the years, this power and spirit have been the source of countless compelling performances. It's been an unforgettable journey as we've watched you and your character face life's challenges with inimitable wit and a captivating inner strength

As doors continue to open, your fans will support you in your craft -- and whether acting, directing or writing, we know you will realize your dreams.

Thank you, David.

From your fans around the world.
For the record, and because it seems to be an issue, no one is getting paid for this. Although some of us do work with this stuff for a living. Just so you know.

Finally, this morning at Paypal:

$622.91

Reminder: It only says "CC Ad Campaign" because that's our only verified account (meaning it's guaranteed with a person's own charge card and/or bank account). The "Payment To" line -- where it says "DB Ad Campaign" -- is the one to focus on. Your charge statement will read "Paypal DB Campaign."

And again, feel free to contact me via PM or at penny@stranger-things.net if you'd like to use non-Paypal methods of payment, or if you'd like to share ideas without registering at the board.

Dig it!

Old 03-25-2004, 02:58 PM   #2
Bibliophile

Did anyone else see the new reply up at Buffy.nu? Go HERE. Apparently, they received the same deal with the photographer; is there a way to make sure they aren't using the same photo?
Old 03-25-2004, 03:29 PM   #3
Penny Century
Rich girl, superhero

Kas, can you tell us anything about that one way or the other?
Old 03-25-2004, 03:40 PM   #4
Bertha Blue

Oh, he wouldn't would he? Could he? And did anybody else notice the reply from concerned fan? I love it. I will go over and contact Kas right now and ask.
Old 03-25-2004, 03:50 PM   #5
Penny Century
Rich girl, superhero

Quote:
Originally posted by Bertha Blue
Oh, he wouldn't would he? Could he?
Sure he could -- he and his agency own the rights. It's not so big a deal, but I have to admit I'll be a little hacked off if both ads end up using the same photo.

Question: The A-I folks say they want input from everyone, and yet I can find no discussion outlet anywhere for their ad. All I find is an e-mail address to subscribe to their newsletter. Que? Is anyone here participating?
Old 03-25-2004, 05:23 PM   #6
Kas

I'm afraid I've no idea girls. They said that they wanted to be independant but they are using my contacts..it makes you not want to post anything.

I really can't believe that this could happen over an appreciation for David.

Last edited by Kas; 03-26-2004 at 05:10 AM.
Kas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2004, 05:51 PM   #7
Penny Century
Rich girl, superhero

Ah well. We'll just do our best, then. If everyone continues to spread the word about the June ad, I feel confident it'll get there.
Old 03-25-2004, 05:53 PM   #8
psychofilly
*My* Angel eats nuns.

Maybe an e-mail to MRH wouldn't be out of line? He may not know, or he might... Like Penny said, it's his image, but he might not want *two* ads running the exact same image, so as a courtesy, it might be good to make sure.

It is highly depressing, but the pom poms are still on, and whatever happens, something positive is being done.
Old 03-25-2004, 06:03 PM   #9
Penny Century
Rich girl, superhero

Quote:
Originally posted by Kas
I'm afraid I've no idea girls. They said that they wanted to be independant but they are using my contacts..it makes you not want to post anything.
That's the downside of really and truly keeping all the cards on the table -- everybody can see them, and some will use them for their own ends. Chin up, though. Hey, best case scenario, there'll be two full-page DB ads.
Old 03-25-2004, 06:05 PM   #10
KarKar

Quote:
Originally posted by Kas
I really can't believe that this could happen over an appreciation for David.
There have been some really weird responses to the ad that I don't understand but I guess it's their loss.

If they don't want to do something for him, that's their loss. If they want to do it on their own, then they loose out on pooling resources.
Old 03-25-2004, 06:22 PM   #11
Kit

Why do I feel like I'm watching an episode of "The Apprentice"?

I'm concerned that if they ran a similar ad before June 14 (Picture, wording, quotes and all) and we'd look as if we copy them. It's kinda unfair 'cause you guys are the ones that came out with the idea first and did all the hard work.

Okay, I should stop with my pessimism now and head to the cheerleader thread to oogle DB's naked body...

Seriously though, you guys are doing a phenomenal job with the ad and the pimpin'. So keep up the good work!

"Never continue in a job you don't enjoy. If you're happy in what you're doing, you'll like yourself, you'll have inner peace. And if you have that, along with physical health, you will have had more success than you could possibly have imagined." - Johnny Carson

Last edited by Kit; 03-25-2004 at 06:25 PM.
Kit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2004, 06:30 PM   #12
Penny Century
Rich girl, superhero

Quote:
Originally posted by Kit
I'm concerned that if they ran a similar ad before June 14 (Picture, wording, quotes and all) and we'd look as if we copy them. It's kinda unfair 'cause you guys are the ones that came out with the idea first and did all the hard work.
Ehhh, well, that's a possibility. Good thing we have so many backup text ideas. We can always change it at the last minute.

Meanwhile, let's be positive. Hey, the campaign has raised well over a fifth of the cash in one week. That's good news!
Old 03-25-2004, 07:04 PM   #13
SETJE
Flippin'Mental

Location: Gra mo chroi go siorai – je sais que l’aube est infidèle ; mon destin comme cette houle ; Qui ne déploie jamais ses ailes. At the cliff of Point Dume.
I'm in with Kas . I sure didn't expect that from so called friends and I sure didn't expect that about an THANK YOU AD for DB as it was totally neutral and you all did a great job in staying that way.

I hope it will turn out good for us ; but I got to say this - the ad campaign from the independent *cough site has a mention at the Buffy.nu and that is bad. As a lot of people go there to get the latest *cough updates what is happening in the Jossverse. Meaning they will see the ad from the other site and that their donations will go up high in a very quick speedy conzales way.
I'm def. sure that the goal from the other site will be to be a head of us and make sure they will have an add up before the 14th of June.

*Angel: Stop saying that! And stop calling me pastries.*

Charisma's Bitches #217TC#0166
SETJE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2004, 07:15 PM   #14
Penny Century
Rich girl, superhero

[Farnsworth] Good news, everybody! [/Farnsworth]

We have proof of concept.

DON'T LAUGH! This is a very (very, extremely) rough draft, but you can read it and the picture quality is fabulous. Feel free to use this as a reference copy for further text tweaks, but only if you're totally seriously, 'cause this bimmitch is half a meg wide:

DB Ad -- Reference copy with required elements

ETA: Scratch that -- that file really is way too big. An optimized but still legible version linked instead.
Old 03-25-2004, 07:23 PM   #15
SETJE
Flippin'Mental

Location: Gra mo chroi go siorai – je sais que l’aube est infidèle ; mon destin comme cette houle ; Qui ne déploie jamais ses ailes. At the cliff of Point Dume.
Penny is it kk if I use this thread to talk to Kas now and then about the ad.

btw YOU GET A BIG SMOOCHIE FROM ME for doing this all. Can never thank you enough for it.

*Angel: Stop saying that! And stop calling me pastries.*

Charisma's Bitches #217TC#0166
SETJE is offline   Reply With Quote