Register Control Panel Search FAQ/Help/Guide Memberlist Forum Calendar The Stranger Things Store Home Stranger Things Home

Go Back   Stranger Things Forum > Main > The Cordyverse
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-05-2004, 10:09 PM   #1
LaLa247
Wooo!

Preview of the "You're Welcome" Review is Up At TWoP

http://www.televisionwithoutpity.com...7&limit=&sort=

Quote:
The second she was out the door, I prank-called Angel and told him that Cordy was dead. He bought it, too. Oh, oh! I didn't tell you the best part! 'Cause of all this, some chumps are going to send ten zillion angry emails, crashing Wolfram & Hart's servers.
It looks like it could be a good and funny one. Hopefully it'll be out tomorrow. Oh, and vote in this week's poll.

It got an A- for the 'report card', is that the highest TWoP has given an AtS ep this year?
Charisma's Bitch #1

"Treat everyone the same until you find out they're an idiot." -- Lucy Lawless

President Bush DID have a sure fire plan to end the war in Iraq, However Chuck Norris was busy that day.
LaLa247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2004, 10:19 PM   #2
samluvsharrison
...or someone's in fun

Should be interesting. TWOP's always fun when they are raggin' on characters/plots I dislike. Let's hope Cordy escapes unscathed
Charisma's Bitch #3.6|Shiny Happy Person #3.14159265|Fred Fanatic #Pi|Team Cordy™ #135
samluvsharrison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2004, 01:03 AM   #3
Silly Gilly
RamRod

That's grade up there is what the people who read the recaplet thought about the ep. Which you must take, as always, with a grain of salt.

Strega will give her grade sometime when the full recap is posted.
Silly Gilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2004, 03:55 PM   #4
Athena

Quote:
Originally posted by Silly Gilly
That's grade up there is what the people who read the recaplet thought about the ep. Which you must take, as always, with a grain of salt.
What I find interesting is that for most of the season around 500-600 users graded each episode. But "You're Welcome" has already been graded by over 1000. Easily the most of the season and it's still at an A-. That's pretty good.
Athena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2004, 12:54 AM   #5
Carolina

I saw that reclaplet a day or so a go and it cracked me up. I love Xander and I love Strega. I know a lot of you guys aren't TWoP fans, but I think both the mods and the posters generally have a lot of interesting things to say.
Old 02-10-2004, 12:17 AM   #6
LaLa247
Wooo!

It's up!

As expected, she gets into Charisma's fine boobs:
Quote:
It's probably hard to remember your lines when Cordy's cleavage is right in front of you, and maybe the close-ups are just to disguise the actors' wandering eyes. I'm not blaming them, because my own eyes were wandering a lot. Where were we?
Quote:
Eve says she doesn't know what it is, exactly, but that 'it's huge, and alive, and specifically designed to destroy [Angel].' Hm. Buffy isn't huge, and Spicule isn't alive. Ooo, Mecha- Xander!
Quote:
Angel tells Lindsey, "You never should have come back." Lindsey replies, "I missed you." And then there's fighting. By which I mean sex. Oh wait, that's the subtext; I do actually mean fighting.
Quote:
He goes on to say that Lindsey's bizarre schemes made him doubt himself, but now he's full of confidence again, which is just about incomprehensible unless you remember that Angel isn't very bright.
It really looks like Strega didn't have that much to make fun off this week, so she focused on Charisma's boobs.

ETA: She sounded really affected by the last scene too, which kinda surprises me:
Quote:
This is one of the scenes where I would really, really like it if I could see both their faces at the same time. Because they're both killing me individually, and if I could see them both together, I could get the pathetic emotional breakdown over and done with that much sooner.
Quote:
Charisma Carpenter breaks my dried-up walnut of a heart when she backs away and sniffs, "I'll be seeing you." [...]I don't really get it, but they had one of the few relationships on either show that I actually bought. [...] Her eyes in this whole scene just kill me. Christ. [...] I cannot believe I feel this bad because of David Boreanaz. When did this happen?
Quote:
On the bright side, if there's any justice, a few weeks from now Cordy's ghost will inexplicably materialize in Italy and start bugging the hell out of Buffy.

ETA2: Check out her last paragraph about the ep about the Nazis. I got a good laugh out of that.
Charisma's Bitch #1

President Bush DID have a sure fire plan to end the war in Iraq, However Chuck Norris was busy that day.

Last edited by LaLa247; 02-10-2004 at 12:45 AM.
Old 02-10-2004, 08:19 AM   #7
Dannyblue
a.k.a. Danielle

I've never read an ANGEL recap at TWOP. Or, if I did, I don't remember. In fact, I only recently got pulled into TWOP by the SMALLVILLE and TARZAN recaps, which are particularly hilarious since there is so much to make fun of. (Don't get me wrong. I love SMALLVILLE--and Lex--but...)

Anyway, I might have issues with this season of ANGEL, but I still didn't want to see it torn apart. But this recap was good. And the little bit of fun she poked at the characters and storyline was, well, kinda true.

I loved these parts.

Quote:
She's all grins and curly hair and bouncy-ness. Angel steps forward and hugs her. For a while. Aww! Angel finally moves out of the way, grinning, so that Wesley can have a turn at hugging.
Quote:
The sap starts here. Angel sits down heavily and moans, "I'm sorry," while Cordy rails, "I naturally assumed [that] you'd be lost without me, but this?" Angel looks at her and calmly says, "I am lost without you." Oh. Oh, poor sad Angel. Cordy more kindly says, "You just forgot who you are," and Angel sounds even more desperate when he says, "Remind me." This scene is why all this week I've been calling Johanna and starting conversations off with "Poor sad Angel." I'm not going to be able to give up complaining about the direction, but as far as the writing goes, this is so smart. Putting something that emotionally naked right after Cordy's joke makes it so affecting, because you don't expect it. And, okay, the "lost without you" is a cheesy line when you read it, but he says with such a matter-of-fact tone that it works really well. Everything that was ridiculous about the tearful sniveling on Buffy is absent; Angel's just sad. Oh. Poor sad Angel. And poor, poor sappy me.
Quote:
Cordy concludes, "That's the guy I fell in l-- the, um, the guy I knew." Angel stares at her so mournfully and, oh, lord, stop it, or I'm going to have to start writing for Television With Heaps of Pity, and that'll be embarrassing for everyone. Cordy sits down and says that if she sees the guy she used to know around, she might believe him. Angel sits back and looks away as he sighs, "Let me know if you do." Oh. This scene is turning me into a schizophrenic. And it's Boreanaz, and he's really doing a good job this week and I feel sorry for him and I don't understand anything anymore. Help me.
Old 02-10-2004, 09:01 AM   #8
mef2101
TiVoholic! Have pity.

I was surprised at how completely she seemed to enjoy the episode. Sure, a quibble here and there. Dear lord, we've got our quibbles, too.

But did you notice how she seemed glowing in her Charisma praise. She recognized Charisma's presence simply made everyone better... even going so far to soften her jaded view of David Boreanaz.

Nice to continue to get confirmation from outside our Charisma-centric board, that the best damn thing to ever happen in any of Mutant Enemy's products was the hiring of Charisma Carpenter. Which also means that the worst thing to ever happen was her dismissal.

I kinda expected Strega to say, "If you think Angel's lost without Cordelia, just think of the damn series..."

But I guess that's from a review I'd write.

Last edited by mef2101; 02-10-2004 at 06:01 PM.
mef2101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2004, 09:32 AM   #9
Bertha Blue

I haven't had a chance to read the review and don't usually read TWOP's reviews, so I was wondering if I could ask a question. Why are alot of people surprised that she got emotional at the last scene? Is she usually not like that?

Just curious.
Old 02-10-2004, 09:40 AM   #10
LaLa247
Wooo!

Quote:
Originally posted by Bertha Blue
Why are alot of people surprised that she got emotional at the last scene? Is she usually not like that?
She's not emotional at all. Very snarky and grr. The only times she got semi-mushy was during the C/A bedside scenes. She really dislikes Wes ("shut up, Wesley"), Fred (she liked Connor just because he hit Fred a lot) and...yep, Angel (she thinks he's a dumbass). She's also gotten a hate-on for Spike this year too.

I love me some Strega.
Charisma's Bitch #1

Old 02-10-2004, 09:51 AM   #11
missdini

Quote:
Originally posted by LaLa247
She's not emotional at all. Very snarky and grr. The only times she got semi-mushy was during the C/A bedside scenes. She really dislikes Wes ("shut up, Wesley"), Fred (she liked Connor just because he hit Fred a lot) and...yep, Angel (she thinks he's a dumbass). She's also gotten a hate-on for Spike this year too.

I love me some Strega.

I always had the impression that she has nothing against the character of Cordelia. But she seems to dislike a lot of the other AI members!
missdini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2004, 09:59 AM   #12
Penny Century
Rich girl, superhero

Quote:
Originally posted by missdini
I always had the impression that she has nothing against the character of Cordelia. But she seems to dislike a lot of the other AI members!
I think Strega always liked Cordelia if for no other reason than Cordelia regularly called Angel a dumbass. She was a girl after Strega's own heart.
Old 02-10-2004, 10:21 AM   #13
LaLa247
Wooo!

Quote:
Originally posted by missdini
But she seems to dislike a lot of the other AI members!
Especially Wes...

"Then three vampires enter, and Jameel skedaddles. Let the melée ensue! Cordy squeaks as she completely misses staking one of the vamps. Punch, kick, swat, and she manages to dust a vamp who's distracted by Wesley's pointlessness."

I also like Strega because she brings up plot holes and the stupid crap that everyone is thinking about. She also had a S3 fascination with necks, and with Angel/Boreanaz's "giant" head. Hee!
Charisma's Bitch #1

Old 02-10-2004, 11:03 AM   #14
MrPresident

Good review. I agree with alot that she had to say, and I loved the fact that she made fun of the size of DB's head in the middle of a very emotional scene. Gotta love Strega.
MrPresident is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2004, 11:10 AM   #15
samluvsharrison
...or someone's in fun

Quote:
Angel has changed his shirt, and tucked it in, and unbuttoned it to coordinate with Cordelia, which is sweet of him
lol. Enjoyed that one. If Cordy had stayed, color coordination couldn't have been far off
Charisma's Bitch #3.6|Shiny Happy Person #3.14159265|Fred Fanatic #Pi|Team Cordy™ #135
samluvsharrison is offline   Reply With Quote