Register Control Panel Search FAQ/Help/Guide Memberlist Forum Calendar The Stranger Things Store Home Stranger Things Home

Go Back   Stranger Things Forum > Main > The Cordyverse
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-19-2003, 06:01 PM   #136
tojoson

when they're in the car

gunn: so you had an epiphany, did you
angel: yah
gunn: so, what, you just wake up and bang
angel: sort of the other way around

LMAO
Old 11-20-2003, 03:37 AM   #137
Persephone

You know what? Watching these reruns, I have no idea why I had the idea that S2 wasn't strong. Really, why did I think that? There was good, good stuff in S2. I think I know why: the Pylea arc and the introduction of Fred (I'm sorry, I don't mean to offend Fred fans and I have tried so very hard to like her) left a bad taste in my mouth and coloured my opinion in retrospect. But now I remember that I loved the Darla arc, the Lindsey-Lilah wars and heck, Lindsey in general, the beige arc, Angel's epiphany, the bonding of the FG in Angel's absence, and of course, Holland. The second time around, these are things I'm finding:

Gunn's presence bothers me less than I remembered, though there are still the same old problems. Wait, I do love Gunn, I just always felt that he was introduced too quickly as a regular and his reasons for leaving his crew and joining the FG so abruptly were never dealt with thoroughly. I still feel as though he should have been a recurring for the first part of S2 as he gradually injected himself into Angel's mission. But it doesn't bother me as much the second time around, interestingly enough. I think I was having silly hissy fits because at the time, I didn't like my magical triad (vampire, seer, watcher) disturbed. But now I see that Gunn doesn't disturb the dynamic and I regard this as my favourite grouping, with these four characters.

Lorne's character and screen time is just right in S2. Lorne shouldn't be weekly episodic comic relief--that only makes a caricature of a wise, funny character who really does add to the canvas.

I adore Wes as much as ever. 'Nuff said. I am struck by Cordy's character development even more, and it's even better than I remembered. Also, the bonding of the FG during the beige arc was just spectacular. I'd forgotten the delight of the Wes/Gunn bonding.

Problems: Kate bothers me more. Actually, she didn't bug me all that much the first time around, she just left me flat. Now she's sincerely bothering me, as are any stories revolving around the police station. Also, looking back, I would have preferred Angel spending even more time winning back the trust of his friends. Oh, how I loved those scenes.

Things I realize I miss even more than I thought: the detective agency concept. Friendship and comraderie. A small enough cast that individual eps could really deal with the characters in a meaningful way. And Cordy, Cordy, Cordy. Sigh.
Persephone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2003, 02:32 PM   #138
KarKar

I taped this last night on a whim. I know what you mean about missing those days. That was a great episode overall.

Gunn was still street but not a caricature. Still had some edge to him with Angel and those comments about 1973 cracked me up. I had forgotten about those.

Plus, Darla got kicked to the curb in a satisfying way. Same thing with Kate although that cloud when Angel bust through her door still nags me. Darla’s “payment” still struck hard.

As much as those characters and actresses didn’t thrill me, they’re wonderful next to Eve. I swear, she’s got the most wooden face and has a combination of JB’s little girl shrillness and ER’s flat, emotionless monotone.

Plus, CK. Man, someone come up with a CK One joke for me. Like what’s the sound of one hand clapping? CK One. Ok, I have no idea what that one means but I was almost giddy watching him. Loved his tension with Darla, loved the yuppie scum yanking off his tie, untying it which is a big deal when you look at his closet, to go country on Angel’s butt.

I loved Angel facing the skilosh only to have them run away so Angel gets hit by the truck. I loved his sledge hammer bit and Angel’s comment about how it could’ve been the other one.

I miss that slightly sinister, enigmatic Lorn. A little goes a long way, especially when he’s not the punchline for every joke.

Loved Funny Wes. We haven’t’ seen him in awhile. Like wondering if his neighbor’s gone out for the evening. Like him getting stuck in the mud, falling over, etc. Guy is probably the best physical comedian of the cast.

Not to mention babbling Angel. I can’t believe I used to be worried that the character would be a wooden post in the show. Loved that scene where he comes to their offices all contrite with his tail between his legs.

And that scene with Cordelia! Come on, if you didn’t see the subtext before, that look she gave him over her shoulder jumped off the screen at me. Platonic my ass.

But, I’m always amazed that CC can actually pull off chartreuse. Loved her short hair that’s long enough to flop around and run your fingers through. Plus, her hurt over the eye and being rescued was unencumbered and real even w/o removing her eye liner.

And yeah, that rape scene. I have no idea how TM didn’t get the overtones of two guys holding her down so a third can forcibly impregnate her from the back with a tongue so phallic you can tell it’s religion.

Remember when we hacked him off so Aya set up passwords and id's after that? Can't believe that was what, three years ago?

But who cares if Angel gets to smile lopsidedly at her and go all “it’s all about Cordy?”
Old 11-24-2003, 04:11 PM   #139
LaLa247
Wooo!

Quote:
Originally posted by KarKar
I miss that slightly sinister, enigmatic Lorn. A little goes a long way, especially when he’s not the punchline for every joke.
Yes. Which is why he never should've became a regular.

Quote:
And that scene with Cordelia! Come on, if you didn’t see the subtext before, that look she gave him over her shoulder jumped off the screen at me. Platonic my ass.
Is this in the last scene with the "You really hurt my feelings" line? 'Cause now I gotta watch it again...

Tonight's "Disharmony", and that one scene in the beginning where Cordy says "And you and I?", I loooove Angel's obvious perking of the ears...he really could give a crap about Wes and Gunn- it was all about Cordy's forgiveness, wasn't it?

ETA: This ep has such great moments:

- Wes and Angel's storming into Cordy's apartment, and Wes getting crossbow-happy.

- DB and CC cracking up behind AD in the office.

- Gunn's little wave to Harmony and Cordy's slap (C/G!) and Gunn's face when he's told that Harmony's a vamp.

- The motivational speaker's speech is so very funny- I died laughing. "Turn two- the rest is food!"

- "Get her out of here. Now." Hee!

- The Power Walk interrupted by Harmony. Gunn, Wes, and Angel actually look pissed LOL.

- I love the shot of them all on the stage, with Cordy in the front with the crossbow. It was just such a well done shot with the lighting and the placing and the mood. Lovely. And Cordy's kicking ass with them- brilliant.

- The happy clothes dance! Still cracks me up, if only for Boreanaz's face- such genuine glee.

Hey, I have the DVDs...*g*
Charisma's Bitch #1

"Treat everyone the same until you find out they're an idiot." -- Lucy Lawless

President Bush DID have a sure fire plan to end the war in Iraq, However Chuck Norris was busy that day.

Last edited by LaLa247; 11-24-2003 at 04:35 PM.
LaLa247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2003, 04:35 PM   #140
QueenC
All.About.Her...

Damn... I forgot how much I like Disharmony! I love the scene where Angel is talking to Wes about how Cordy said they weren't friends... he just looks sooo hurt.
And Wes.. "While you're at it, why don't you pick me up one of those "sorry you got shot in the gut" bouquets! HEE!

And I love the scenes with Harmony while they are researching... she is driving Wes absolutely NUTS with her gum-chewing. And I get a kick out of watching CC and DB cracking up in the background!

And, I have to say it... CC looks just fabulous in this episode!

Lori

ETA: And Lorne... this reminds me of why I like him so much...
Cordy: What do ya think?
Lorne: I think your friend should reconsider the name Harmony!

And La... my favorite part of the "cross-bow" scene in Cordy's apartment is when Angel is rationalizing giving Harmony a chance, and Wes turns the cross-bow on HIM... with this "are you crazy" look on his face!

This really was the golden age (late season 2, early season 3) of AtS!

I love him!

Charisma's Bitch #118

Last edited by QueenC; 11-24-2003 at 04:43 PM.
QueenC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2003, 04:49 PM   #141
KarKar

Quote:
Originally posted by LaLa247
Yes. Which is why he never should've became a regular.

Is this in the last scene with the "You really hurt my feelings" line? 'Cause now I gotta watch it again...
Nah, the one after that. When she wonders why she's not on the floor after a vision and he tells that he's got her. She glances at him over her shoulder and they just have this look.

I think we have Disharmony to thank/blame for Harmony's addition to the cast. Frankly if they'd had built on her and AD for laughs taht would be a lot more fun.

I love her declaration that she is evil. Then Wes immediately goes for the stake.
Old 11-24-2003, 04:51 PM   #142
LaLa247
Wooo!

Quote:
Originally posted by QueenC
And La... my favorite part of the "cross-bow" scene in Cordy's apartment is when Angel is rationalizing giving Harmony a chance, and Wes turns the cross-bow on HIM... with this "are you crazy" look on his face!
LOL Does he really? Now I gotta watch that scene all over again...

And look at the C/Aness of that scene before the raid! Angel so resembled a boyfriend lying to his girlfriend about being unfaithful, right down to the slightly raised voice and cringe-y face.

Gawd, if this doesn't make me 'ship C/A again...

ETA: Thanks, Kar.

- Angel's little "woo" after chopping off the leader's head. Hee.

- Cordy said "MY city"...right on. This should've been a hint that the girl should've been getting more independent.

- Once again, the happy clothes dance. Angel just looks beyond thrilled that Cordelia is not mad at him and touching him- it's really the first time Angel's incredibly giddy, isn't it?

- The Greenie truck! How I miss that...
Charisma's Bitch #1

President Bush DID have a sure fire plan to end the war in Iraq, However Chuck Norris was busy that day.

Last edited by LaLa247; 11-24-2003 at 05:01 PM.
Old 11-24-2003, 04:59 PM   #143
KarKar

Quote:
Originally posted by QueenC
Heck, even Cordelia gives him a "what do you put in your blood" look.
Old 11-24-2003, 05:27 PM   #144
psychofilly
*My* Angel eats nuns.

Quote:
Originally posted by KarKar
Heck, even Cordelia gives him a "what do you put in your blood" look.
Naw, that look screamed "Kiss-ass." Cordy knew what he was up to and didn't want any of it.
Old 11-25-2003, 12:37 PM   #145
Dannyblue
a.k.a. Danielle

Quote:
Originally posted by psychofilly
Naw, that look screamed "Kiss-ass." Cordy knew what he was up to and didn't want any of it.
He was so transparent, and adorable because of it. I think he was trying to be all cool and subtle but, since he really is kind of a dork, he couldn't have been more obvious.

Also, I know a lot of people having nothing nice to say about the last scene. And, intellectually, I admit their reasons are valid. But, I gotta tell ya, I loved it then, and I loved it now. I can watch it over and over again, just to see Angel join Cordy in her little "La-la-la-la-la" dance. It is one of the most adorable scenes in the history of either show.
Old 11-25-2003, 04:16 PM   #146
Bullocks
holding onto hope

Aww, poor Cordy, I necer realized just how much these visions affected her, well I did, I just didn't remember...especially in season 2, she's in so much pain.

"Two roads diverged in a wood, and I took the road less traveled by and they CANCELLED MY FRIKKIN' SHOW. I totally shoulda took the road that had all those people on it. Damn." --Joss Whedon
He left us a legacy. To give others less fortunate than we are a chance to turn our lives around. Now I want him to have that chance.-Legacy, gone but not forgotten
Connor Fan #129
Darla Fan #025
Van/Hitomi/Allen Fan
DS9 Fan
Frillie Fan
Kagome/Inuyasha Fan
Sesshoumaru/Kagura Fan
Bullocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2003, 04:27 PM   #147
LaLa247
Wooo!

Quote:
Originally posted by Bullocks
Aww, poor Cordy, I necer realized just how much these visions affected her, well I did, I just didn't remember...especially in season 2, she's in so much pain.
This really should've been something that was brought back and not just dropped, y'know? But, whatevs...
Charisma's Bitch #1

Old 11-25-2003, 04:31 PM   #148
Bullocks
holding onto hope

I'm watching now, and maybe I am just dense, but Lindsey's song in the episode where he left, is like a rendition of season 4...The sky is going to rain down in fire... etc...I feel kind of stupid now...

ETA- I guess it is pretty obvious now that I am suspicious that he knows something about what really happened last season.

"Two roads diverged in a wood, and I took the road less traveled by and they CANCELLED MY FRIKKIN' SHOW. I totally shoulda took the road that had all those people on it. Damn." --Joss Whedon
He left us a legacy. To give others less fortunate than we are a chance to turn our lives around. Now I want him to have that chance.-Legacy, gone but not forgotten
Connor Fan #129
Darla Fan #025
Van/Hitomi/Allen Fan
DS9 Fan
Frillie Fan
Kagome/Inuyasha Fan
Sesshoumaru/Kagura Fan
Bullocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2003, 04:56 PM   #149
LaLa247
Wooo!

The evil hand speech! *g*

But what was Lindsey's deal with Charlie?
Charisma's Bitch #1

Old 11-25-2003, 06:12 PM   #150
tojoson

lindsey's comment:

'the key to wolfram and hart...don't let them make you play their game, you gotta make them play your's'

well angel sure failed to take THAT advise, cause he's playing their game now.

and the smile on angel's face when cordy told him 'i love you'
no attraction whatsoever