Register Control Panel Search FAQ/Help/Guide Memberlist Forum Calendar The Stranger Things Store Home Stranger Things Home

Go Back   Stranger Things Forum > Main > General
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-04-2010, 01:00 AM   #1
bigbird811
Lieutenant McMuffin

Talking You game?

Videogames, let's talk about them! Everything from favorite genre to favorite developer, from your last game purchase to your last owned console, and how hot Sephiroth is.

Anyone interested?
Old 06-04-2010, 01:30 AM   #2
Livvie
nutcase

My husband and I keep going back and forth on whether to buy a Wii or a PS3. We have an X-Box and a PS2 now (Along with an SNES I still play and an original PS)

We want the Blue-Ray player and the streaming that the PS3 offers, plus we already have a ton of PS games. But the Wii and all the fun interactive get your ass moving games has us tempted, especially now that Netflix streams for the Wii. We can't afford both so any suggestions?

He likes the racing games. Need for Speed and such. And he plays the Final Fantasy ones. And another one that I can't remember the name of. Me...I hate to admit it but I LOVE the Lego series games and Kingdom Hearts. It's sad though cause I totally can't even beat them.
Old 06-04-2010, 02:18 AM   #3
bigbird811
Lieutenant McMuffin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Livvie View Post
My husband and I keep going back and forth on whether to buy a Wii or a PS3. We have an X-Box and a PS2 now (Along with an SNES I still play and an original PS)

We want the Blue-Ray player and the streaming that the PS3 offers, plus we already have a ton of PS games. But the Wii and all the fun interactive get your ass moving games has us tempted, especially now that Netflix streams for the Wii. We can't afford both so any suggestions?

He likes the racing games. Need for Speed and such. And he plays the Final Fantasy ones. And another one that I can't remember the name of. Me...I hate to admit it but I LOVE the Lego series games and Kingdom Hearts. It's sad though cause I totally can't even beat them.
I don't own either of those consoles, so I can't really give in-depth suggestions. But...I think you should go for the Wii. It's pretty much for everyone, with a lot of family-friendly, casual games to play with children or parents/grandparents and a large collection of more 'serious' games to keep the hardcore gamers happy (though the way they whine about the Wii, you would think otherwise :P) Plus, it has the interactivity you mentioned, which is hours of fun + keeping in shape XD

They're both pretty awesome game series
Old 06-04-2010, 12:10 PM   #4
handikaptwheelz
The Cripple

Quote:

Now Video Games this is my element right here. After all I went to college for 3 years just to learn how to make them. Your question on Consoles pretty much has to do with what you want more. The Wii offers you a wise range of family oriented games that keep you active and are great party type games. The PS3 is a tougher nut to crack so to speak. It offers hands down the best visuals out all three consoles out (Wii, Xbox 360, PS3). It also is of course a blue-ray player and can hook up to your computer and stream stuff from it easily. Also the one down side that the PS3 had was the poor game selection, but that has recently been fixed now that the big name games are finally in stores. Now for the down side of the PS3 the new ones that are only like $299, or even lower now not sure, DO NOT play PS2 games (they do play original PSOne games though I believe). Unless you want to track down a older PS3 that is still $350 that they don't even make anymore (I did this just because well I'm a video game nut) you will not be able to play the good PS2 games on your PS3 which means you would still have to keep the PS2 around if you ever wanted to beat say Kingdom hearts (amazing game btw I love that series sooo much).

Now I believe you said that you wanted a Wii also for the Netflix streaming and honestly that isn't a problem on any of the 3 consoles they all have Netflix on them. For game choice if you love the Final Fantasy series then you won't be able to play the good ones as those will still only come out on the PS3 or Xbox 360, the Wii versions with the Final Fantasy name kinda stuck to them were not as good in my opinion and I am a Die Hard Final Fantasy fan (been playing them since FF3). Also when they get off there keisters and finish Kingdom Hearts 3 that will also be on the PS3 for sure.

All in all it is a tough choice but I love my PS3 right now and can't wait for some of the upcoming games for it like Final Fantasy Versus 13 (I loved FF13), the new Assassin's Creed titles that are coming, and a couple other titles I can't think of right now.

For me in general I love RPGs (Role Playing Games) because the stories are always very very good so its like you are playing a game but also its like you are playing the characters in a book. Since I love reading these games just appeal to me more. Games like Assassin's Creed and Kingdom Hearts and the Final Fantasy series are my favorites. Recently though I have gotten into FPS (First Person Shooters) like the Call of Duty series but I like them more on the PC than I do on consoles, you can't beat a mouse and keyboard in shooters.

But anyways as you can see I love video games, and if you have any questions about them or what you should pick up for yourself or your family I'd be more than willing to help you out.
Old 06-04-2010, 01:15 PM   #5
Livvie
nutcase

Thanks for the suggestions! It gives me a lot to think about.

We don't have kids so the family thing isn't a big draw for us. But we do take care of my sick mother but I don't see her picking up a controller anytime soon. LOL

It sucks you can't play PS2 games on it. Any idea why they did that? We always keep our old game systems when we buy a new one so that isn't an issue, just a pain in the ass.

My husband is all about the visuals so I'm thinking maybe to go with the PS3. Plus, again, he loves the Final Fantasy games and I like Kingdom Hearts so...

It looks like I'm tracking down an old PS3 so I can play my PS2 games on it.
Old 06-04-2010, 01:36 PM   #6
handikaptwheelz
The Cripple

Quote:
It sucks you can't play PS2 games on it. Any idea why they did that?
When the PS3 first came out it was close to $600 which, for what it was, was actually a really good deal as it was $200 cheaper than any other blu-ray player and it played video games could stream with ease from your computer and was only going to improve with new features to be added later (like Netflix and PS Home). The problem was that for most gamers $600 was too hard to swallow to pay for a console and they weren't willing to wait for the prices to go down to a much more reasonable $400 then $350. So Sony needing to appease the masses took away backwards compatibility so that they could justify making the system cost less so that they could sell the console.
Old 02-05-2011, 12:22 PM   #7
Livvie
nutcase

So not that anyone cares but my husband and I decided on a Wii with our tax return. We bought it this weekend along with Mario Kart and a few other games. If anyone has a Wii and wants to play online with us, just let me know. And if anyone has a Wii and wants to rec some good games, we'd love to have it.