Register Control Panel Search FAQ/Help/Guide Memberlist Forum Calendar The Stranger Things Store Home Stranger Things Home

Go Back   Stranger Things Forum > Main > The Cordyverse
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-15-2005, 02:36 PM   #46
Penny Century
Rich girl, superhero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prima
...Or am I being an asshat by querying into a writer's life that we tend to say no to on an actor's?
Less of one than I am, probably, but I'm guessing this would be a good place to drop it. It's not as if either of us cares, I suspect, but I admit to a frisson of morbid curiosity and will leave it at that.
Old 12-15-2005, 03:08 PM   #47
SamIAm
It's all about Cordy.

I'm not arguing the policy, but delving into a writer's life does seem a lot different to me in as much as a writer's life tends to influence the work, whereas an actor just does his/her job. It's not even like Whedon hasn't, in the past, taken some measure of pride in pointing out the little foilbles and indescretions of his and others' lives that made into Buffy and Angel. And, one supposes, Firefly.

That said, not really caring any more, so carry on.
Old 12-15-2005, 04:41 PM   #48
Prima
I have no idea...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penny Century
Less of one than I am, probably, but I'm guessing this would be a good place to drop it. It's not as if either of us cares, I suspect, but I admit to a frisson of morbid curiosity and will leave it at that.
Oh no. I totally understand where you're coming from. I'm curious but I don't find it 's because I care about the show, I'm more curious like Terry mentions, that his personal experiences were what he was writing about as the voice of the main character on a television show. I'd be curious to see just how much this happens because it almost seems like Timmah! was an extreme case. Hence, my curiosity.

Where I don't care is that I'm entertained by Stargate: Atlantis these days(aside: I'm not sure if I'm amused or disturbed by how much Little Joe has influenced genre television...but that's neither here nor there) and trying to figure out the backstage machinations of the Whedonverse, unless they're amusing in a nuclear meltdown kind of way or if they confirm what I already suspect, doesn't hold much appeal.

But that's nothing new from me.

"...speculating on the sadomasochistic dominance games of the White House staff is always more interesting and topical than shipper wars." --Cordy's Bitch

"OMG GOD HATES ME BECAUSE HE DIDN'T MAKE JESUS/PETER CANON! I'M QUITTING THIS FANDOM, AND I AM TOTALLY NOT FINISHING REVELATIONS!" --latara
Prima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2005, 07:11 PM   #49
Platypus
The Pointy End

Quote:
Where I don't care is that I'm entertained by Stargate: Atlantis these days
Squee! I thought I was the only one watching. I'm actually not as happy with Season 2 as I was with Season 1, but it's totally my guilty pleasure. Unfortunately, the only people I have to talk to about the show are the TWOP-pers, because ain't no way I'm joining a Stargate board. (I never watched SG:1, and I have no desire to wade into an established fandom that already has its crazies.)

Tact is just not saying true stuff. I'll pass.
Platypus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2005, 07:43 PM   #50
Prima
I have no idea...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Platypus
Squee! I thought I was the only one watching. I'm actually not as happy with Season 2 as I was with Season 1, but it's totally my guilty pleasure.
Oh lawd. I squee with you because it's got issues that make it a show only a mother of the writers could love....but then they go and do an episode like "Grace Under Pressure" from the other night and I weep big salty tears of freakin' joy for McKay. Seriously.

And the shallow part of me says that Sheppard makes my ovaries quake. I'm not lying. /TMI

Quote:
Unfortunately, the only people I have to talk to about the show are the TWOP-pers, because ain't no way I'm joining a Stargate board. (I never watched SG:1, and I have no desire to wade into an established fandom that already has its crazies.)
I've seen all of two episodes of SG-1 and that was enough to tell me I had no real desire to see anymore but it doesn't seem to be a necessity. I also haven't seen too much craziness on the SGA side (ie: No "Forever. The whole...gawd help me just poke me in the eyes repeatedly with fingers dipped in bleach" aspect).

Either they don't or they hide it much better.

On a side note, there's also been a massive fandom migration when it comes to slashers to McKay/Sheppard that I haven't seen since Phantom Menace. It's the new "Fandom that ate the internets".

"...speculating on the sadomasochistic dominance games of the White House staff is always more interesting and topical than shipper wars." --Cordy's Bitch

"OMG GOD HATES ME BECAUSE HE DIDN'T MAKE JESUS/PETER CANON! I'M QUITTING THIS FANDOM, AND I AM TOTALLY NOT FINISHING REVELATIONS!" --latara

Last edited by Prima; 12-15-2005 at 08:03 PM.
Old 12-15-2005, 07:58 PM   #51
Morrigan
Who Da Man?!

Quote:
but then they go and do an episode like "Grace Under Pressure" from the other night and I weep big salty tears of freakin' joy for McKay. Seriously.

And the shallow part of me says that Sheppard makes my ovaries quake. I'm not lying. /TMI
McKay and Sheppard are the only two reasons to watch.
Old 12-16-2005, 09:43 AM   #52
Platypus
The Pointy End

Quote:
Oh lawd. I squee with you because it's got issues that make it a show only a mother of the writers could love....but then they go and do an episode like "Grace Under Pressure" from the other night and I weep big salty tears of freakin' joy for McKay. Seriously.
I bow to no one in my unabashed fangirl crush on McKay. He's my new "Cordelia". But that's actually one of the things I've not been entirely happy about this season, because I worry they are writing him more as a caricature at times than a character. Yes, he's deeply flawed - but he's not a cartoon.

Quote:
Ummm, not arguing with you. (For all the "Serenity" talk about Nathan Filion being the heir apparent to Han Solo, I beg to differ. And I present Joe Flanigan as Exhibit A to support my argument.)

Quote:
On a side note, there's also been a massive fandom migration when it comes to slashers to McKay/Sheppard that I haven't seen since Phantom Menace. It's the new "Fandom that ate the internets".
I'm totally not surprised. John and Rodney are so in love with each other it's not even funny, and I'm NOT generally a slasher. And besides, as Morrigan so aptly points out...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morrigan
McKay and Sheppard are the only two reasons to watch.
Although, I'm also terribly fond of Zelenka. And I had some hope for Ronon which lately has been diminished. And I'm still waiting for them to do better for Tey-Lo and Weir.

Tact is just not saying true stuff. I'll pass.
Platypus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2005, 09:51 AM   #53
Penny Century
Rich girl, superhero

Quote:
"Forever. The whole...gawd help me just poke me in the eyes repeatedly with fingers dipped in bleach"
That is so my next T-shirt. So totally it. (And when you think about it, there isn't a fandom on Earth that doesn't qualify for its very own version.)
Old 12-16-2005, 01:17 PM   #54
writingpathways
Rachel Elisabeth

Location: Real Life Locale: Somewhere in Connecticut. The truth: In my head. It's both scary and quite lovely there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liam
I feel like a black sheep. Because I seem to be the only one around without the Minear hate. I guess I can understand why other folks my be upset with him. But frankly, I think he's a really good writer. Even dating back to his days on the X-Files I've found most of the episodes he's written to be pretty good. That includes Firely, Angel, Wonderfalls, and The Inside. "Are You Now or Have You Ever Been" and "Out of Gas" are two of my favorite hours of any drama.

Maybe he is just reciting the company line regarding C/A or maybe he does believe it. But if I were starting up a TV show Minear would be one of the first guys on my list to try and hire.

Tim Minear is a fantastic writer. I admire that in him. He however is not a Cordelia fan -- which is something I've chosen to accept but is my one big huge BLACK mark against the man. Because how can you not be a Cordelia Chase fan. Heh.

But Out of Gas, brilliance.
Old 12-16-2005, 04:33 PM   #55
Prima
I have no idea...

Quote:
That is so my next T-shirt. So totally it.
Heh. Well, one man's mantra...

Quote:
(And when you think about it, there isn't a fandom on Earth that doesn't qualify for its very own version.)
Heck! There'd be no reason for Fandom Wank...and that would be a cryin' shame.

And since, I don't want to hijack the thread: Fury's lack of neck in the picture amuses me....and Stargate Atlantis talk over here.

Come squee, Platy. Come squee.

Old 12-16-2005, 09:49 PM   #56
silveragent

I will give Fury This much:

At least Fury understood that things were going wrong on both shows, and tried however vainly to do something about it. That's what that interview says for me.

Everyone else thought Joss steering the shows into the iceberg was a brilliant bit of seamanship. Despite killing the easy street for everyone (come on, how hard would it have been to keep those shows going?)

Yeah except for Greenie they all suck. Way too much personal experiences finding their way into the shows instead of personal observations (there is a difference). Marti's psychodrama on Buffy was particularly bad.
silveragent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2005, 10:02 PM   #57
LaLa247
Wooo!

Where is Greenie? What is he doing now?
Charisma's Bitch #1

"Treat everyone the same until you find out they're an idiot." -- Lucy Lawless

President Bush DID have a sure fire plan to end the war in Iraq, However Chuck Norris was busy that day.
LaLa247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2005, 10:21 PM   #58
tojoson

he's been producing and writing for 'Surface'
Old 12-17-2005, 11:19 AM   #59
Penny Century
Rich girl, superhero

Quote:
Originally Posted by tojoson
[Greenie]'s been producing and writing for 'Surface'
I did not know that. I guess I have to start watching "Surface," then.
Old 12-17-2005, 01:24 PM   #60
SamIAm
It's all about Cordy.

Quote:
I did not know that.
Well, Greenwalt's official title is Consulting Producer, the same title he and Marti Noxon had for season five of Angel, and he has only written one Surface. It was a better episode than average anyway.