Register Control Panel Search FAQ/Help/Guide Memberlist Forum Calendar The Stranger Things Store Home Stranger Things Home

Go Back   Stranger Things Forum > Main > The Cordyverse
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-07-2005, 01:04 AM   #16
Trillian
Too orangey for crows

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovin' Lorne
So they don't want a boat load of Wesley Crushers?
That is exactly what LeVar Burton said on the panel. Not that Wil Wheaton did a bad job on Trek, it's just kids could bring only a limited story line. And as Battlestar and 4400 show- audiences are wanting more gritty sci-fi.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prima
That being said, I have no real commentary on DB being tapped for a movie but I guess it's a possibility. I could argue for and against either way.

There's something to be said about the fact that he could bring a core genre fanbase to the table that may not have been there before.
Well, the reservation with DB that I have, is that he's proved time and time again with the Buffy/Angel fanbase that he just doesn't get into the verse, especially nowhere near the level of dedication that Trek fans will demand. He'd have to know not only his character but also the rest of the Trek verse and how his part interacts with it. Nemesis was paned because the director wasn't a fan and hadn't even watched an episode- it was completely out of sync with what had come before it. Both LeVar and Marina were quite outspoken about that fact.

Maybe I'm wrong but Dave comes across to me as a career actor-not someone that really gets into it for the love of a character. Perhaps though he's been a secret Trekkie all his life! But unless he really commits to all that is Trek in this film I doubt that he'll be able to hold his own. And he wont be able to even think about going around the Con circuit to promote it.
Old 09-07-2005, 01:22 AM   #17
Lovin' Lorne
Too Hot For Words

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trillian
Well, the reservation with DB that I have, is that he's proved time and time again with the Buffy/Angel fanbase that he just doesn't get into the verse, especially nowhere near the level of dedication that Trek fans will demand. He'd have to know not only his character but also the rest of the Trek verse and how his part interacts with it.
True that. The fans would eat him alive if he wasn't able to quote Trek lore and put it all into context. You have to give all of the Trek actors their props on that one. As a ST fan you might not have cared for TNG, DS9, Voyager or Enterprise, but there was no denying that each and every one of the actors on every show could sit down and talk Trek. And they might even know more about it than you.

DB just doesn't have the interest in his roles. He goes in, says his lines and goes home. I doubt he gives it another thought until the next day of shooting.

Where's Blue? Please help if you can.
Lovin' Lorne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2005, 01:31 AM   #18
Morrigan
Who Da Man?!

Quote:
Well, the reservation with DB that I have, is that he's proved time and time again with the Buffy/Angel fanbase that he just doesn't get into the verse, especially nowhere near the level of dedication that Trek fans will demand.
Yes but then he could complete the DB/Shatner comparrison by telling a room full of Trekkers to get a life.

Of course he wouldn't be too pretty to look at afterwards but I'd be amused by it.

*wow* I totally blanked on David's last name. Does that mean I'm cured?
Old 09-07-2005, 10:19 AM   #19
Prima
I have no idea...

Quote:
Well, the reservation with DB that I have, is that he's proved time and time again with the Buffy/Angel fanbase that he just doesn't get into the verse, especially nowhere near the level of dedication that Trek fans will demand. He'd have to know not only his character but also the rest of the Trek verse and how his part interacts with it.
I agree. DB has never struck me as being a Tim Russ or an Ethan Philips who lived and breathed Star Trek even before their roles.

That being said...

Quote:
Perhaps though he's been a secret Trekkie all his life!
If it was just a movie, I could see him more likely pulling a Christian Slater.

He's a fan but the 30 seconds of screen time doesn't mean that he has to have a lifetime vested commitment. And the more likely scenario to work for David.

Which, going back to my original comment about DB bringing a core group of fans to the table that weren't there before (ie. argel's comment about crossing the fantasy/sci-fi lines), my opinion on that was that it would be a Paramount corporate decision. I don't think it's inherently flawed, they just have to find the right actor to pull it off.

If Scott Bakula is any indication of that cross appeal (aside: The belief that he'd bring the fans of Quantum Leap to the table), I agree DB isn't likely the individual to make it happen.

"...speculating on the sadomasochistic dominance games of the White House staff is always more interesting and topical than shipper wars." --Cordy's Bitch

"OMG GOD HATES ME BECAUSE HE DIDN'T MAKE JESUS/PETER CANON! I'M QUITTING THIS FANDOM, AND I AM TOTALLY NOT FINISHING REVELATIONS!" --latara
Prima is offline   Reply With Quote