Register Control Panel Search FAQ/Help/Guide Memberlist Forum Calendar The Stranger Things Store Home Stranger Things Home

Go Back   Stranger Things Forum > Main > The Cordyverse
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-21-2005, 02:18 PM   #1
v120176

Review of season 3: pro C/A

I found this very pro C/A review of season 3: http://www.whedon.info/article.php3?id_article=10921

Quote:
David Boreanaz (Angel) and Charisma Carpenter (Cordelia) are brilliant in their performances together as well as the obvious sexual tension between them. They play it to the hilt. I personally would have liked to see them get together, but Joss Whedon as always had other ideas.
And
Quote:
Another of the best things this season is the budding romance between Angel and Cordelia. It was very touching and very believable. Some people didn’t get it, they said how can Angel and Cordelia become lovers after being just friends for so long. That’s why it’s so believable. People that are friends first and become lovers later are the relationships that last in the long haul. Then there was the unfair resistance from the [bold]small but loud[/bold] faction of fans who couldn’t accept the fact that Angel and Buffy were history and didn’t want Angel to be with anyone else. Going back and watching these episodes now is really sad after Cordelia died in the 100th episode, the full potential of the C/A romance will never be realized
v120176 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2005, 03:16 PM   #2
QueenC4707

Thank you for posting that! I especially like that second quote, lol.
Old 08-21-2005, 03:54 PM   #3
raregem

That's a good article. I wouldn't say the Buffy/Angel fans are a small group though..
raregem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2005, 04:14 PM   #4
psychofilly
*My* Angel eats nuns.

Quote:
Originally Posted by raregem
That's a good article. I wouldn't say the Buffy/Angel fans are a small group though..
When you compare them to the number of people that 1. Wanted C/A 2. Wanted Spuffy 3. Wanted to see Buffy with other UC ships, like Xander, Riley, etc 4. Wanted Angel and someone else 5. or just don't care who the characters ended up with, then the B/A fandom shrinks to quite a minority.
Old 08-21-2005, 05:06 PM   #5
DamnSkippy

What Becky said. Plus if there was any way to do a survey of the non-internet viewers of Ats, I think the majority who cared wanted to see C/A get together. Just doing a very nonscientific survey among my family who watched Ats but aren't on the net, every one of them thought C/A was what should happen and what they wanted to happen. They really couldn't understand why it didn't. Among these, some had watched BtVS prior to Ats and some were strictly Ats watchers only.
DamnSkippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2005, 10:57 PM   #6
raregem

Maybe he means a few B/A shippers wrote in and were really loud and wasn't indicating the total amount of them. I probably interpreted it wrong before. Sorry.
raregem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2005, 08:43 AM   #7
brownsbros3

Great review. It's what we've been saying about C/A for a longtime. The reviewer was kind of harsh on Gunn and Fred though. I didn't think they were that bad.

As far as the B/Aers go, I'll admit they are very vocal. When I used to regularly post over at the Angel board on the WB website, at one point they were practically all Buffy threads rather than Angel threads. But a further study revealed that it wasn't that there were that many B/Aers, it was just that the same ones were posting over and over again.

What used to tick me off was when a new C/Aer would join the board, and the B/Aers would all dogpile on them until they get them to leave. They are quite a few C/Aers out there, many whom didn't even watch Buffy.
brownsbros3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2005, 10:12 AM   #8
psychofilly
*My* Angel eats nuns.

Oh the B/A'rs made themselves heard, probably more than any other ship out there, but they went about it in a systematic manner where other folks just wanted to enjoy the show and talk about it. But number wise? It's like a persian cat, they look big, but shave off the fluff and they're just a skinny old thing.
Old 08-22-2005, 11:01 AM   #9
Dannyblue
a.k.a. Danielle

You know, it seems like 'shipper groups have personalities. And the personality is based on the kinds of people attracted to that 'ship. And I always found that C/Aers, for the most part, didn't really care whether or not other people liked or didn't like our 'ship. We liked it, and could talk to other people who liked it, and that was good enough for us. And we didn't care if you liked another 'ship because to each their own.

Where as 'shippers of some other pairings (you know who I'm talking about) seemed to take it personally if you liked any 'ship but there's. "How dare you not like (fill in the blanks)?! That means you're the enemy!" Thus the attacks on fans of other 'ships who accidentally wander onto certain message boards. And they also make it their personal mission to make everyone realize how misguided they are for not liking that 'ship, and making sure the PTB know which 'ship "everyone" really wants. They are vocal, and persistent, and really hard not to notice them.

C/Aers, on the other hand, have always been quieter, content to talk amongst ourselves, for the most part. We don't feel a need to convert the world into C/Aers (although we'll happily explain why we like C/A so much). We aren't as interested in arguing with other people for hours and hours about how they are wrong to like whoever they like instead of C/A. We just want to enjoy our 'ship.

Sadly, I think this has lead to our not getting as much notice, and our numbers being underestimated. But we're definately out here.
Old 08-22-2005, 11:10 AM   #10
KarKar

Found the Direct Link if anyone tracks that kind of stuff.
Old 08-22-2005, 11:19 AM   #11
JoJo

I agree with you Dannyblue. The C/Aers I've encountered on the internets tend to be far more polite and mature than the rabid B/Aers. I'm not saying every B/A fan is a insecure, immature, hostile, vindictive loon, but an awful lot are.

The only thing comparable is the Samantha Carter/Jack O'Neill shippers in the Stargate SG1 fandom. Heaven help the fan who thinks that Sam and Daniel or Sam/Teal'c would make a nice couple, or don't particularly want to see romance in a military sci-fi/Action adventure show.
JoJo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2005, 11:41 AM   #12
KarKar

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoJo
The C/Aers I've encountered on the internets tend to be far more polite and mature than the rabid B/Aers. I'm not saying every B/A fan is a insecure, immature, hostile, vindictive loon, but an awful lot are.
I sure hope you're not saying that all C/Aers are polite and mature. I'll get immature, hostile, & vindictive on your butt.

That said, there's something "second wife"ish to me about C/A. Like we know that first love doesn't always last but what can follow can be just as fulfilling and longer lasting. Makes B/A sound like a starter marriage, doesn't it? All big hopes and broken registered plates.
Old 08-22-2005, 08:19 PM   #13
LaLa247
Wooo!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dannyblue
And I always found that C/Aers, for the most part, didn't really care whether or not other people liked or didn't like our 'ship.
We also (after the inital shock-n-awe) didn't care when the 'ship was hijacked by the ME pirates. A mighty defiant lot, we are.
Charisma's Bitch #1

"Treat everyone the same until you find out they're an idiot." -- Lucy Lawless

President Bush DID have a sure fire plan to end the war in Iraq, However Chuck Norris was busy that day.
LaLa247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2005, 10:17 PM   #14
Penny Century
Rich girl, superhero

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaLa247
We also (after the inital shock-n-awe) didn't care when the 'ship was hijacked by the ME pirates. A mighty defiant lot, we are.
Heh. Those baseball shirts say "Undefeated Since 1997" for a reason, y'know.
Old 08-23-2005, 05:27 PM   #15
Prima
I have no idea...

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarKar
I sure hope you're not saying that all C/Aers are polite and mature. I'll get immature, hostile, & vindictive on your butt.
Heh. That goes second for me.

Honestly though, when I've been at my worst, it's not because I was defending C/A (ie. I like it but it isn't my life. I've got a spouse for that.) but because there are some people who are absolutely a riot to tweak off.

Oh lawd, the shite storm over the icon that I had awhile back supporting Angel/Mrs. Fields still brings me to tears.

"...speculating on the sadomasochistic dominance games of the White House staff is always more interesting and topical than shipper wars." --Cordy's Bitch

"OMG GOD HATES ME BECAUSE HE DIDN'T MAKE JESUS/PETER CANON! I'M QUITTING THIS FANDOM, AND I AM TOTALLY NOT FINISHING REVELATIONS!" --latara
Prima is offline   Reply With Quote