Register Control Panel Search FAQ/Help/Guide Memberlist Forum Calendar The Stranger Things Store Home Stranger Things Home

Go Back   Stranger Things Forum > Main > The Cordyverse
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-20-2005, 04:56 PM   #1
v120176

The Spike tv movie is near?

This was at buffy.nu and based on a post at whedonesque http://www.whedon.info/article.php3?id_article=10911

Quote:
An update on the Spike TV movie. It was only the other day that Joss Whedon asked Tim Minear if he wanted to "write and direct some blonde vampire movie thing". Tim said yes. It’s still very early days though as nothing is signed.

Anyhow, this is what Tim said :

"Also, I had lunch with Joss and he asked me if I wanted to write and direct some blonde vampire movie thing. Should I do it? (I of course said yes right off, still) Anything under 13 hours scares me. And anything over 13 hours... um. I got nothin’."
v120176 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2005, 06:45 PM   #2
silveragent

I would not expect much because economics dictate against it. That's probably why it has not happened. Buffy maybe a couple of years or so on the big screen, because Sarah is a star, and people all over the world like and know her in the role.

Minear just fooling with the fans. JMHO.
silveragent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2005, 09:36 PM   #3
raregem

Probably couldn't happen for awhile. Atleast after Smallville because he'd have to change his hair back. It's strange they wait until he has a new job to bring up the Spike movie again. It seems like they just like riling up the fans.
raregem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2005, 09:54 PM   #4
September

Quote:
Originally Posted by raregem
Probably couldn't happen for awhile. Atleast after Smallville because he'd have to change his hair back. It's strange they wait until he has a new job to bring up the Spike movie again. It seems like they just like riling up the fans.
Well, judging by the pictures of JM I've seen lately, if it doesn't happen now it never will unless they fillm almost in the total dark. He still looks good but he looks an awful lot older than the did on either show.

livejournally thingy
September is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2005, 11:07 PM   #5
Mr.Brightside
Queen Charisma...

Is this for real? With so many false rumors going around I don't know what to think. But if this is true, then Im all up for it!

"I grow up in Quor Toth....A Hell Dimension"
"Full of all sorts of things that you can't even imagine"

Mr.Brightside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2005, 12:57 PM   #6
brownsbros3

There have been rumors of spinoff movies going on since before the last Angel episode aired. It's one of those things that I'll believe it when I see it.
brownsbros3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2005, 03:22 PM   #7
QueenC4707

Quote:
Originally Posted by September
Well, judging by the pictures of JM I've seen lately, if it doesn't happen now it never will unless they fillm almost in the total dark. He still looks good but he looks an awful lot older than the did on either show.
Yeah, that's what I was thinking. Time is not on James' side if they're going to do this.

As much as I love Spike, though, I kinda wish they would just let it go. I really can't think of anything more they can do with this character. Faith I could see, because we really didn't see that much of her and got so little backstory on her. But I kinda feel like all the Spike stories have been told already... and if not, well, I always have fanfic for that. JMHO

And yes, I am also under the "I'll believe it when I see it" school of thought.
Old 08-21-2005, 04:07 PM   #8
Penny Century
Rich girl, superhero

You have to give the Enemy writers and producers credit: They know exactly how to draw maximum attention to themselves. They'll be dragging out the Phantom Buffyverse Movie That's Going Into Production Oh, Any Week Now for years. Or until the fandom stops jumping when they say "froggy." I guess we'll see who gets tired of the game first.
Old 08-21-2005, 04:33 PM   #9
Andromeda7_4

Quote:
Originally Posted by silveragent
I would not expect much because economics dictate against it. That's probably why it has not happened. Buffy maybe a couple of years or so on the big screen, because Sarah is a star, and people all over the world like and know her in the role.

Minear just fooling with the fans. JMHO.
I don't think he'd do that; I think it's likely to happen.
Also, I don't see why economics would be against it- Fox has made tons of money from BtVS and AtS DVDs, merchandise, etc.
And all those cons keep the characters viable.
Why wouldn't a low-budget TV movie work?

As for Marsters' aging, there are ways they could work around that. If they had him shanshu, then he would age... I could see him as a Blade-like character, with the traits of both vampire and human. (That's what I would do, anyway).

Wonder which (if any) of the other cast members are likely to appear?
Andromeda7_4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2005, 05:58 PM   #10
silveragent

Andromeda --

The problem with the movie is financing for payoff. Variety had an article a while back on Lifetime's new younger-skewing movies (not the old "women in jeapordy" stuff). They did well in viewers (MT's got IIRC around 4.5 million, good for her) but the trouble was financing. Majors dropped out of making the movies and only struggling indies went for it.

Production cost is $5 per; license fee only covers $3.5 leaving a $1.5 deficit. Even with tax credits from Canada or New Mexico or Louisiana it's a struggle, and foreign sales which helped cover the deficit have collapsed to near zero.

There's a reason ME closed it's doors. Five million is pretty low (and with NO special effects etc. actual cost would be higher I'd imagine); I just don't see Sci-Fi or anyone else signing up for it or Fox going in the production hole to make it for a very narrow fanbase (Angel was cancelled for miserable ratings and Buffy cost UPN $50 million in losses). I agree with Penny here, more like Minear and Co. trying to stir up some jobs for themselves.

Fox HAS made money on Buffy DVDs, but nothing like the kind of money made on films like Shrek or Incredibles. Given world wide likeability of Sarah as Buffy, to me it's a no-brainer to make a theatrical Buffy movie (and hope to sell say 20-17 million DVDs of it at a gross margin of $10 ea) versus a Spike movie that might only sell 1.5-2 million DVDs. The Blade 3 problem (replacing your star in situ and watching your movie flop theatrical and DVD) is cautionary. Cons just suck money out of the ever-declining faithful, it's not like they grow the audience. Outside of a small group of hard core fans no one knows Spike/JM. Which is the core problem for Spike movies and why one hasn't been made already.

Faith is an interesting character, it would interesting to see her with Robin, and her own little girl, dealing with Robin's jealousy/anger over her feelings for vampires (Angel/Spike) and the downside of playing bad girl (it screws up your romance); panicked she'll be found out and arrested, and/or her daughter will find out she murdered someone (for a playstation and an apartment filled with nice clothes). The former bad girl who turned soccer mom, worried that her daughter will grow up to be a Slayer (and possibly, murdered by a vampire). But that has more to do with her human characteristics (having a family of her own to lose) and very little to do with powers on their own.

However I'm not sure either Eliza wants to play the character again or if there's potential payoff for a Faith movie. My gut says no, outside of Sarah time has passed on ME and all the other characters on their own.
Old 08-21-2005, 07:13 PM   #11
Andromeda7_4

Quote:
Originally Posted by silveragent

Given world wide likeability of Sarah as Buffy, to me it's a no-brainer to make a theatrical Buffy movie (and hope to sell say 20-17 million DVDs of it at a gross margin of $10 ea) versus a Spike movie that might only sell 1.5-2 million DVDs.
I don't think SMG would be interested; she is trying to break the Buffy mold. And, it's not like she needs the work. She has a ton of projects waiting, so why go back to Buffy?

Quote:

Faith is an interesting character...

However I'm not sure either Eliza wants to play the character again or if there's potential payoff for a Faith movie. My gut says no, outside of Sarah time has passed on ME and all the other characters on their own.
I think she'd probably jump at it, but I don't think there's potential payoff. The character isn't universally popular; and the actress? She's approaching Tara Reid territory. But she'd probably do it- IF the role is offered.
But that might be true for plenty of actors from BtVS or AtS, like Amy Acker or Alexis Denisof or Tom Lenk. Personally I'd prefer any of them to Dushhku, but that's just me.

Anyway- as long as I get to see James Marsters, I really don't care who else is along for the ride. And I don't think Tim Minear would have said what he did if things weren't pretty much settled.
Andromeda7_4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2005, 08:13 PM   #12
Penny Century
Rich girl, superhero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andromeda7_4
And I don't think Tim Minear would have said what he did if things weren't pretty much settled.
For my part, I don't think Tim Minear would be allowed to say anything if it were pretty much settled. I think the studio, the network, and Whedon himself would claim the prerogative of making that announcement before they'd let Timmah! drop it as an aside to a completely tangential news item. But maybe that's just me.
Old 08-26-2005, 11:29 AM   #13
landrews1

Well, this says, as of yesterday, that Minear has now confirmed he's been hired to write and direct a Spike movie for the WB, and that he shouldn't have let it slip at Whedonesque. But TVSquad's backups are Movie Hole and Ain't It Cool, so until it shows up in Variety or Hollywood Reporter, I wouldn't take it as gospel.

http://www.tvsquad.com/2005/08/24/spike-the-movie/

"The powers that be what?" - Angel, City Of

Thanks Psychofilly and Mistress Mab for the only avatars I own!!
landrews1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2005, 01:35 PM   #14
silveragent

Andromeda -- why would SMG do a Buffy movie? A new house, i.e. money, and lots of it. Comparatively speaking, she didn't make much money off of Buffy, her Maybelline Contract netted her more than playing Buffy. Tom Cruise off his MI2 deal got something in the neighborhood of $94 million. So a mass-market DVD deal if you can get it will pay off big time.

Agreed Penny, a real deal would be announced by WB. Somehow I don't see them spending that much money on a one-off Movie. Even that stupid Lone Ranger things was supposed to be a Pilot. Plus of course Whedon's buddies are gone from WB.
Old 08-26-2005, 02:30 PM   #15
Nirvana 1
Negative Creep

Quote:
Originally Posted by landrews1
Well, this says, as of yesterday, that Minear has now confirmed he's been hired to write and direct a Spike movie for the WB, and that he shouldn't have let it slip at Whedonesque. But TVSquad's backups are Movie Hole and Ain't It Cool, so until it shows up in Variety or Hollywood Reporter, I wouldn't take it as gospel.

http://www.tvsquad.com/2005/08/24/spike-the-movie/

I agree, though I certainly am surprised it made it this far. I mean whether it gets made or not. Still I'd like to see the character again, but the fear of what they'll actually do with him out-weighs that and it's starting to flow again. But que cera, sera.

That, and I'd love to hear the sound of some hundred heads exploding, the screams, and the calm thereafter.

Last edited by Nirvana 1; 08-26-2005 at 02:32 PM.
Nirvana 1 is offline   Reply With Quote