Register Control Panel Search FAQ/Help/Guide Memberlist Forum Calendar The Stranger Things Store Home Stranger Things Home

Go Back   Stranger Things Forum > Main > The Cordyverse
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-02-2004, 12:31 PM   #1
LaLa247
Wooo!

Chemistry...Who Has It, and Who Didn't?

Let's talk chemistry here, people. The Cordyverse has had a lot of relationships through the course of eight-ish years- some of them had the "oomph", some of them didn't. So- DEBATE!

First off, I love C/A and I do think Charisma and Boreanaz had a natural chemistry and heat that I never really saw with B/A (the looks Boreanaz would give Charisma during their big scenes, for example). While I do think Charisma seemed nervous through love scenes in general- she always seemed to hold back- it did look like she was more at ease with Boreanaz.

Even though I have a love/hate relationship with WitW, I do think Cordy and Angel's struggle to get to the door was just a hot little diddy- it was very natural.

On the flip side, Wes and Fred were painful for me to watch, it always seemed like both AD and AA were trying to force the chemistry, while AD seemed more natural with SR and AA with JAR.

Now, back to Boreanaz- I thought he could have had chemistry with a rock, but his scenes with the chicks that played Gwen and Eve and even Nina proved otherwise. He didn't seem into those scenes, and it showed on camera.

I think SMG can have chemistry with a potted plant, but that's just me.

Now that I'm done rambling, what makes chemistry to you? Who had it in the Cordyverse, and who was just painful to watch?
Charisma's Bitch #1

"Treat everyone the same until you find out they're an idiot." -- Lucy Lawless

President Bush DID have a sure fire plan to end the war in Iraq, However Chuck Norris was busy that day.
LaLa247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2004, 12:49 PM   #2
rousedower
cancelled

Firstly, I think there's different types of chemistry just as there are different types of relationships.

Cordy/Angel had it. That goes without saying. Both CC and DB have chemistry with just about everyone. CC didn't have it with Vincent Kartheiser (Connor) though and DB didn't have it with Elisabeth Rohm (Kate).

Buffy/Spike had it up until they started having sex. Those sex scenes were hard to watch. And I believe Kar used the term 'mechanical' to describe them. Spike clicked better with Anya, Dawn, Dru and even Harmony.

Fred/Gunn had it. But Gunn had it better with Gwen.

Buffy/Riley had it.

Willow had more chemistry with Xander and Buffy than she did with either Oz or Tara.

Xander/Anya had it.

Wes/Lilah didn't really do it for me. He always seemed bored with her. Honestly, he had more chemistry with Gunn and Angel than anyone else.

And Giles had more chem with Buffy and Anya than Jenny, Joyce or Olivia.
Stake Darla #13
Greenie Groupie #13

Last edited by rousedower; 08-02-2004 at 01:05 PM.
rousedower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2004, 12:59 PM   #3
AngelsChilde
Shoot the Moon

Quote:
I do think Charisma and Boreanaz had a natural chemistry and heat that I never really saw with B/A (the looks Boreanaz would give Charisma during their big scenes, for example).
I agree with you here. I did think that David and Charisma had a lot more chemistry. From their very first conversation on Angel, it was evident that these two just mesh better than David did with Sarah.

Quote:
On the flip side, Wes and Fred were painful for me to watch
Also agreeing here. They kind of annoyed me and it seeemed very forced and out of place. I liked SR and AD together a lot better, and the scenes they had together were intense. The love/hate thing they had going on was almost tangible, and the scenes after Lilah had died were poignant. Very well done, altogether.

Quote:
AA with JAR.
I disagree with this, though... while she did have more chemistry with JAR than she did with AD, I think the Fred/Gunn thing felt a little over the top, too. While I prefer C/A, I do think that JAR and CC had a lot of chemistry together. They seemed very comfortable together on screen.

Quote:
Now, back to Boreanaz- I thought he could have had chemistry with a rock, but his scenes with the chicks that played Gwen and Eve and even Nina proved otherwise. He didn't seem into those scenes, and it showed on camera.....
I think SMG can have chemistry with a potted plant, but that's just me.
Couldn't have said it better myself.

Another pairing that made me cringe was the short lived Gunn/Gwen thing. I think they worked together well, but as soon as they tried the romance thing, it all seemed to get boring.

I used to hate Cordy/Xander when it first started, but now, when I look back on it, I do think they were kind of cute. They, too, seemed very at ease with one another.

I also think Christian Kane and Stephanie Romanov had chemistry out the wazoo. I would NOT have liked them to get together romantically, but their time on screen together was just buzzing with chemistry.

And thats all I can think of now... Be back if I come across others.
AngelsChilde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2004, 12:59 PM   #4
Andromeda7_4

Chemistry Yes:

Buffy- with just about everyone EXCEPT Riley
(Best chemistry was with Spike though)

Cordy- Angel, Wes. Not so much with Doyle, imo.

Angel- good chem. with Cordy, Darla and BUffy; none with anyone else.

Spike- good chem. with Buffy and Dru, none with Faith.

Giles- good chem. with Jenny C, not with Joyce or Olivia.

Gunn- best with Anne; didn't like him with Fred or Gwen.

Fred- liked her with Wes, not with Gunn. MIght have worked with Spike.

Wes- with Cordy, Lilah, might have worked with Faith.
Andromeda7_4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2004, 01:02 PM   #5
CAMartin
Oh! A bird!

DB/CC, obviously, had awesome chemistry (with the exception of 'Tomorrow' where, to me, it seemed forced.)

I agree with Wes/Fred people, no chemistry there.

And sadly, AA didn't have chemistry with JAR either. Seemed way too forced to me. Reminded me too much of a teenage relationship with all the cutesy giggling. Maybe that's how grown-up relationships are these days. Either way, didn't seem like they had much chemistry in their scenes together.

I think Amy Acker had a lot of chemistry with James Marsters. And I actually was hoping for them to hook up in Season Five (only watched the first four or five episodes. So you'll have to fill me in on how that storyline was dropped.)

JM and SMG had chemistry before they started having sex, as mentioned in other posts. Most notibly was in Who Are You when Buffy was Faith and the 'I can do anything I want...yada yada yada...why? because it's wrong" speech. They had a lot of potential there and to quote Ace from TWOP:

Quote:
SMG and James Marsters together sizzle like a thick, fatty steak over a blazing mesquite fire.
To cover SMG/MB:

Quote:
Especially in comparison to her scenes with Marc Blucas, which sizzle about as much as boiled cod drenched with gravy.
Quoting is fun. And now I'm hungry.
CAMartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2004, 01:04 PM   #6
AngelsChilde
Shoot the Moon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andromeda7_4
Chemistry Yes:

Cordy- Angel, Wes. Not so much with Doyle, imo.
I think Cordy and Doyle had good chemistry, but the idea of a romance bored me. They worked together quite well as friends and co-workers.
AngelsChilde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2004, 01:05 PM   #7
califi

C/A-CC/DB all the way. They sizzled. And some of the promo and outtakes showed it too.

Did anyone ever think Lilah/Lindsey had it? I could actually see the potential for hot lovin' there.

C/Connor was just ick. Obvious discomfort and you could almost read the ick factor in CC's face in the scenes.

Wes/Faith. Yum. What a pity that road wasn't travelled.

Gunn/Fred. DEFINITELY not W/F

As RD said: B/S until the sex. Spike/Anya for sure. X/A too.

As for W/X.... the deep friend vibes was too strong for me to ever imagine them otherwise.

Hav to say, W/K, Kennedy/BTVS, lol. nothing but icks. Preferred Tara hands down.

As for Oz... Verucca and he steamed a fair bit, lol.

Hate to admit it, but there was a hot vibe between A/L too. that confront in his beige period in her car....hoo boy. If I wasn't such a staunch C/Aer, that would most likely be my other ship of choice.

GoTeam C/A
califi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2004, 01:06 PM   #8
Morrigan
Who Da Man?!

I'm not a B/S shipper but I do think that SMG and JM had great chemistry together. The first time I watched my S2 DVDs I was shocked that I didn't catch their natural chemistry the first time around.

JM/JL had great chemistry together.

CC/DB had wonderful chemistry together, their scenes in WitW and DD were, IMO, very hot.

EC/ASH had wonderful chemistry as well, better then NB/EC (A/X did have chemistry it just seemed more natural between EC/ASH)

As I was never a B/Aer I should probably opt out of this one but what the heck. I don't think they had that much natural chemistry but what they did have fit the story. However, I'd have to say that they totally out grew any chemistry by the end of S1 ATS. All B/A scenes after "Sanctuary" seemed forced, IMO.

AA/AD had nothing and, I liked the idea of W/F; JAR/AD had more natural chemistry.

JAR/AlD had chemistry but AlD/DB had nothing. DB also didn't gel, IMO, with either Nina or Eve. ER had no chemistry at all, with anything or anyone.

GQ/CC had no chemistry at all, it's one of the reasons why I didn't like the pair. It seems that they were trying very hard to recreate the NB/CC (C/X) relationship and it didn't fly.

CK/JB had better chemistry then JB/DB. I never liked Darla but JB's scenes with CK sparked, there was something there that just wasn't present with DB.
Old 08-02-2004, 01:11 PM   #9
rousedower
cancelled

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morrigan
CK/JB had better chemistry then JB/DB. I never liked Darla but JB's scenes with CK sparked, there was something there that just wasn't present with DB.
I agree. I think the reason why is that Lindsey had a genuine affection for Darla, while Angel did not.
Stake Darla #13
Greenie Groupie #13
rousedower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2004, 01:22 PM   #10
Miela

Chemistry is difficult to define but I think we need to make a distinction b/w natural chemistry and sexual chemistry. DB and CC have always had a natural interaction going on- their ease with each other and general camaraderie was always palpable on screen. I did feel with WITW, however, that they looked uncomfortable when it came to kissing. I don't think CC knows how to kiss all that well, truth be told. SMG on the other hand, goes all for it- lips, tongue, spit- the whole hog. B/A always had an added dimension b/c of the real off-screen romance b/w DB and SMG. Although DB was married at the time and denied any rumours of a romance, I think something was going on. Off the topic a little, but isn't it strange how DB's real life wife looks similar to SMG and how Freddie Prince Jr, has slomewhat of a resemblance to DB! Or is that just me!!

Last edited by Miela; 08-02-2004 at 01:24 PM.
Miela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2004, 01:31 PM   #11
Penny Century
Rich girl, superhero

I think the main thing to remember about C/A on screen is that they only had one "real" kiss -- that is, only one in which both characters were "there" and aware and not either possessed or fantasizing. I think they get a lot of flak for actually playing those unreal situations rather than putting on a show for the camera, but for my money it's a lot more effective than the constant lips/tongue/spit thing, which loses its effectiveness when you've seen it five or six times.

Maybe that's just me.

ETA: "Real offscreen romance" between SMG and DB? Have you been reading Wrongduh again?
Old 08-02-2004, 01:31 PM   #12
ehab
Perpetually Confused

Quote:
Off the topic a little, but isn't it strange how DB's real life wife looks similar to SMG and how Freddie Prince Jr, has slomewhat of a resemblance to DB! Or is that just me!!
Speaking for myself, yeah, that's pretty much you.

Again speaking for myself, rumours are best not spread.
ehab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2004, 01:33 PM   #13
Prima
I have no idea...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miela
I don't think CC knows how to kiss all that well, truth be told.
Kissed her lately, I presume?

Quote:
Off the topic a little, but isn't it strange how DB's real life wife looks similar to SMG and how Freddie Prince Jr, has slomewhat of a resemblance to DB! Or is that just me!!
There. Are. No. Words.

"...speculating on the sadomasochistic dominance games of the White House staff is always more interesting and topical than shipper wars." --Cordy's Bitch

"OMG GOD HATES ME BECAUSE HE DIDN'T MAKE JESUS/PETER CANON! I'M QUITTING THIS FANDOM, AND I AM TOTALLY NOT FINISHING REVELATIONS!" --latara
Prima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2004, 01:34 PM   #14
LaLa247
Wooo!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miela
I don't think CC knows how to kiss all that well, truth be told. SMG on the other hand, goes all for it- lips, tongue, spit- the whole hog.
But there's a problem with this. SMG went for it, but when she did, you could see the apprehensiveness in DB- his back would start to pull away and his mouth would start to close- she looked like she was swallowing his face. But with JM, it looked like he was all for it, so it went over better on camera.

With CC, I don't agree that she doesn't kiss well, but I do think she's uncomfortable doing it on camera. I think she even mentioned it in an interview. She always looked like she was holding back, but with Boreanaz, she seemed to loosen up (the kiss in YW, for example).

Didn't she also say that Boreanaz made her comfortable during those scenes, or was that another actress?
Quote:
B/A always had an added dimension b/c of the real off-screen romance b/w DB and SMG.
While that is a rumor and has not been confirmed by anyone, I don't see what an off-screen romance has to do with anything. Nicole Kidman and Tom Cruise were all sexy and lusty off camera, you can tell they dug each other in a sexual way, yet in Eyes Wide Shut, they struggled with the chemistry. And must I mention JLo and Bennifer in Gigli?

I think Vinnie and Charisma had chemistry in the non-sexual sense, but after RoF, both of them seemed kinda hesitant.

JM has chemistry with a rock.
Quote:
In that SMG has big boobs or that Boreanaz is Puerto Rican? And it's PRINZE. Freddie PRINZE Jr.
Charisma's Bitch #1

"Treat everyone the same until you find out they're an idiot." -- Lucy Lawless

President Bush DID have a sure fire plan to end the war in Iraq, However Chuck Norris was busy that day.

Last edited by LaLa247; 08-02-2004 at 01:39 PM.
LaLa247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2004, 01:37 PM   #15
ehab
Perpetually Confused

Quote:
JM has chemistry with a rock.
This is so true. Despite the fact that I think a little Spike goes a long way, that man exudes sexuality. I believe even Joss has been quoted someplace saying JM would have chemistry with a wall.
ehab is offline   Reply With Quote