Register Control Panel Search FAQ/Help/Guide Memberlist Forum Calendar The Stranger Things Store Home Stranger Things Home

Go Back   Stranger Things Forum > Main > The Cordyverse
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-19-2006, 09:41 PM   #1
LisaMarie514
Lurking...who me?

It's a puzzler

Okay I had a random thought and wanted to toss it up to the board to get some opinions.

Was noun "The Powers that Be" an invention of Joss Whedon or was it it already brewing in popular culture?

The reason I ask is I was just reading an article on how Reese Witherspoon at the Golden Globes wore a Chanel dress that was worn three years ago by Kirsten Dunst and the article had the following quote: the article

Quote:
The snafu is "embarrassing for both Reese and Chanel," celebrity stylist Phillip Bloch told the AP, calling Witherspoon "a victim of people just not doing their job correctly."
"She was a victim of fashion powers that be," he said.
It is a puzzler.

Thoughts?

"Passion. It lies in all of us. Sleeping... ...waiting... And though unwanted... ...unbidden... it will stir...open its jaws, and howl. It speaks to us... guides us... Passion rules us all. And we obey. What other choice do we have?" Angelus - Passion BTVS S2

LM's Ramblings
LisaMarie514 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2006, 09:49 PM   #2
tojoson

i don't think it was whedons invention,

i've seen references to the phrase earlier.

there was a tv series by that title in 1992
Old 01-19-2006, 09:51 PM   #3
Penny Century
Rich girl, superhero

The expression "the powers that be" to refer to any kind of unknown and assumed to be arbitrary force that interferes in your life -- usually to your detriment and almost always without notice -- has been in use forever. God, the government, that unofficial dress code at work...I've heard all of them described that way. Whedon certainly didn't make up the idea, but I don't know if the term was coming into a new phase of popular use or not. As Joss has always seemed rather proud of his knowledge of what The Cool Kids were talking like at any given time, it seems possible that it was.
Old 01-19-2006, 09:53 PM   #4
jerry

It's a longstanding term. I don't think I'd heard it used in the way it was on AtS, as an unusually vague term for God or gods, but I think it has long been used to refer to the top people in any sort of hierachical organization (government, army, corporations).
jerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2006, 10:04 PM   #5
That*clown

Location: suburban D.C.-supplied with a different breed of demons
My ex was a JAG officer in the early '90s and he always called the brass The Powers That Be.

Go, me.
That*clown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2006, 06:20 AM   #6
LisaMarie514
Lurking...who me?

Thank you...I know a lot of "Buffy" slang leaked into our culture/way of speaking, and was wondering if this was another example.

Isn't language fun!

Thanks
LM

"Passion. It lies in all of us. Sleeping... ...waiting... And though unwanted... ...unbidden... it will stir...open its jaws, and howl. It speaks to us... guides us... Passion rules us all. And we obey. What other choice do we have?" Angelus - Passion BTVS S2

LM's Ramblings
Old 01-20-2006, 07:37 AM   #7
DamnSkippy

Quote:
Origin

From the Bible. Romans 13:1. 'Let every soul be subject unto the higher powers. For there is no power but of God: The powers that be are ordained of God.'
This comes from:

http://www.phrases.org.uk/meanings/288250.html

I'm pretty old and I know I've heard the expression my whole life. Of course, I'm not Bible old...yet.
DamnSkippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2006, 04:09 PM   #8
baba

Quote:
Originally Posted by LisaMarie514
Okay I had a random thought and wanted to toss it up to the board to get some opinions.

Was noun "The Powers that Be" an invention of Joss Whedon or was it it already brewing in popular culture?

The reason I ask is I was just reading an article on how Reese Witherspoon at the Golden Globes wore a Chanel dress that was worn three years ago by Kirsten Dunst and the article had the following quote: the article

It is a puzzler.

Thoughts?

As for the saying: ´The Powers That Be´, it was probably always around, just not as used!

As for the dress that Reese Witherspoon and Kirsten Dunst both wore, well I blame the stylists! Vintage Chanel or not, the dress is so ugly, that both actresses looked awful in it!
baba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2006, 09:05 PM   #9
LisaMarie514
Lurking...who me?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DamnSkippy
I'm pretty old and I know I've heard the expression my whole life. Of course, I'm not Bible old...yet.

Pfft...old...I so don't think so honey. Hey wasn't there a fic where Cordy being a demon meant that her aging would become like that of those folks who lived during the early years of the bible, so she could look young and beautiful for Angel for hundreds of years???

LM's Ramblings
Old 01-21-2006, 01:24 PM   #10
califi

I wanted to hyperlink, but for some reason not of those above work since I installed Firefox, grr,

anyhoo, here is something that might give an idea where TPBT idea came about: (it's probably already been mentioned. if so sorry for repeating)

http://www.angel-guide.com/hierarchy-angels.html

Angelic Hierarchy.
Second Triad
(Middle Triad)
The Powers
Choir 3
said to be :
- angels of space & form
- keep track of human history
- organizers for world religions
- dispensing justice and chaos
-sending messages if someone is out to harm you
- defending your home,family,friends
guidance for :
- protection, defense
Angels- Raphael Camael Verchiel

Religous history is a veritable goldmine for the fantasy genre, lol.

GoTeam C/A
califi is offline   Reply With Quote