Register Control Panel Search FAQ/Help/Guide Memberlist Forum Calendar The Stranger Things Store Home Stranger Things Home

Go Back   Stranger Things Forum > Main > The Cordyverse
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-22-2005, 07:16 PM   #1
v120176

Marsters on Smallville

After the rumors, this is WB's press release:

JAMES MARSTERS VISITS “SMALLVILLE” AS THE EVIL BRAINIAC AND TOM WOPAT REUNITES WITH SERIES STAR JOHN SCHNEIDER

Burbank, CA July 22, 2005

James Marsters sinks his teeth into another juicy role for The WB when he joins the cast of SMALLVILLE for multiple episodes. Marsters will portray Brainiac, a classic DC Comics villain and one of the Man-of-Steel's most formidable enemies. Additionally, one episode this season will reunite series star John Schneider with his former “Dukes of Hazzard” co-star, Tom Wopat.

Marsters plays college professor Milton Fine, alter ego of the uber-villain Brainiac. Possessed of a vast, superior knowledge limited only by his hubris and emotions, Brainiac comes to earth armed with a secret about Clark's biological family and the truth about Krypton's demise. Brainiac's presence in Smallville will have a devastating effect on Clark and Lex's already deteriorating friendship.

Marsters first appeared on The WB in the critically acclaimed hit series “Buffy the Vampire Slayer” as Spike, the vampire who first tries to kill Buffy (Sarah Michelle Gellar), but ultimately falls in love with her. After five seasons on the show and Spike's untimely demise, Marsters' character was reborn as a ghost on the series spin-off Angel starring David Boreanaz.

Marsters began his professional career in the theater, performing in stage productions including “The Tempest” and “Red Noses” at Chicago's renowned Goodman Theatre. In addition, Marsters revisited the stage in Los Angeles with a starring role in an original play produced by Noah Wyle, titled “The Why.” Additional television roles include a guest appearance on “Northern Exposure” and the series “Strange Frequency” for VH1, as well as on Gene Roddenberry's “Andromeda.”

Brainiac is the latest DC Comics character to appear in SMALLVILLE. The Flash, Mxyzptlk and Perry White have all made appearances during the series run. Last season, Lois Lane (Erica Durance) joined the cast.

Also this season on SMALLVILLE, veteran actor and Broadway star Tom Wopat will portray a state senator who was a boyhood friend of Jonathan Kent (Schneider). In addition to his role co-starring with Schneider on the hit television series “The Dukes of Hazzard,” Wopat starred in the popular sitcom “Cybill,” with Cybill Shepherd, and in the daytime drama “All My Children.” He was also nominated for Broadway's 1999 Tony Award as Best Actor (Musical) for his role opposite Bernadette Peters in the revival of “Annie Get Your Gun.”

Reinterpreting the Superman mythology from its roots, “Smallville” was developed for television by Alfred Gough & Miles Millar (“Shanghai Noon,” “Spiderman 2”), based on the DC Comics characters. Gough and Millar serve as executive producers, along with Greg Beeman, Ken Horton, Mike Tollin, Brian Robbins and Joe Davola. The series is produced by Tollin/Robbins Productions, Millar/Gough Ink and Warner Bros. Television Production Inc. SUPERMAN was created by Jerry Siegel and Joe Schuster.

By the way, Wrongda said that according to her sources the rumors of JM on Smallville were wrong.... If I do my work like this woman I'd get fired in two seconds.....
v120176 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2005, 10:28 PM   #2
DamnSkippy

Quote:
Originally Posted by v120176
By the way, Wrongda said that according to her sources the rumors of JM on Smallville were wrong.... If I do my work like this woman I'd get fired in two seconds.....
Bwah! That was the best part of the post! You and me both.
DamnSkippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2005, 02:36 AM   #3
Gabriella
Until we bleed...

Don't watch Smallville but it appears to be a popular show so good for him!

A passionate 'ship is always about the person you want to BE hooking up with the person you want to SCREW - samluvharrison

Charisma's Bitch #186~Team Cordy #186~Gutter Gal #186

She acts like summer and walks like rain
Gabriella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2005, 03:09 AM   #4
Silly Gilly
RamRod

Wopat in the hizzy!
Silly Gilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2005, 09:15 AM   #5
Lovin' Lorne
Too Hot For Words

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silly Gilly
Wopat in the hizzy!
Bo and Luke Duke, together again!

This is kinda nice, you know? Guttenberg's back with Veronica Mars, and now Wopat with Smallville.

It's like a trip back in time.

Where's Blue? Please help if you can.
Lovin' Lorne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2005, 10:40 AM   #6
Dannyblue
a.k.a. Danielle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabriella
Don't watch Smallville but it appears to be a popular show so good for him!
Actually, I wouldn't say it's all that popular. The ratings crashed last season. The season finale brought them back up a lot, but probably largely due to the much hyped 10 minute trailer for Batman Begins they showed at the end of the episode. (And a lot of fans said that trailer was the best part of the show.) At least half of the fans aren't happy with the show. And, while I've avoided spoilers for next season, those who do read them have dropped hints about not being happy about them. And Lana Lang just got voted Worst Character On Television by the Zap2It Amy Awards. After a somewhat disappointing third season, a lot of us tried to be very optimistic about season 4...and ended up getting majorly burned for it. But, who know. Maybe they will completely shock us with brilliance in season 5.

As for JM, I'd like to believe this is going to be a great character and a great storyline. But SV has introduced a lot of reoccuring characters, promising us that they would play a part in great storylines. (Crosby, played by Margot Kidder. Mrs. Teague, played by Jane Seymore. Jason, played by Jenson Ackles. Adam, played by that guy on LOST whose last name I can't spell, but his first names Ian. Henry Small, played by David Cassidy.) Not only did all of those characters end up being wasted, but a lot of those stars expressed disappointment in later interviews about a) how they were treated by the SV PTB, and b) how their parts ended up being nothing like what they were promised. I mean, darn, did you see what they just did to Jane Seymore. They introduced her, making us think she would be a major player, and really interesting. Then, after a season of being given almost nothing to do, her character gets killed off by witch-possessed Lana in one of the most anti-climactic plot resolutions I've ever seen on a TV show.

Basically, if it were any other show JM was about to be on, I'd be more excited. But, since this is SV, I can only be cautiously optimistic.

Last edited by Dannyblue; 07-23-2005 at 10:48 AM.
Dannyblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2005, 01:08 PM   #7
Mr.Brightside
Queen Charisma...

Great news, I can't wait to see James. That Wrongda girl, seems to be wrong alot.

"I grow up in Quor Toth....A Hell Dimension"
"Full of all sorts of things that you can't even imagine"

Mr.Brightside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2005, 01:15 PM   #8
Dannyblue
a.k.a. Danielle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Brightside
Great news, I can't wait to see James. That Wrongda girl, seems to be wrong alot.
But sometimes she's right, which is why it's so frustrating. You can't just completely ignore her info because, sometimes, she's dead-on. But then she'll say something you kinda hope is true, you get your hopes up, then you find out this was one of her "wrong" moments.

It's a catch-22!
Old 07-23-2005, 01:20 PM   #9
Mr.Brightside
Queen Charisma...

Oh ok, well I really never read up on her info, until now.

Old 07-24-2005, 01:29 AM   #10
KarKar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dannyblue
But sometimes she's right, which is why it's so frustrating.
Correct me if I"m wrong, but that's usually cuz she's read some more accurate websites. Maybe she should just fess up and have a blog of spoilers.
Old 07-24-2005, 10:20 AM   #11
v120176

yes, sometimes she's right, but as we knew some of her right information ended being right by casualty. For example, do you remember when CC was in negotiations for You're Welcome? We knew for Chrissy at cc.com that she rejected the first offers she had, and that they were still in negotiations but at that time the answer was NO. Wrongda and then some other people who took the information from her, said that CC had already signed when we knew that she didn't and that she rejected the offer and the scritpt they sent to them. And later it was like someone from ME (I wasn't Fury, I don't remember now the name) was using the fans and the tons of letters they got for Cordy's return to try to convice CC

We could think that saying to the press that CC was coming back when she rejected the first aproach, it was a way to put some pressure of CC ("look the fans are happy because someone said you signed... you can't let them down, can you?"). But still that information was wrong and just because CC & ME ended doing the episode, that doesn't mean Wrongda had the right information.
v120176 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2005, 08:00 PM   #12
brownsbros3

I'm glad to see James is going to Smallvile. I'm also looking forward to John and Tom being paired up again.

Smallville reminds me alot of of Buffy and Angel in that they've got some really talented cast members, but are cursed with idiots in charge.
brownsbros3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2005, 08:21 PM   #13
Mr.Brightside
Queen Charisma...

Marsters will not be playing Brainiac, but Agent Dox?

http://www.slayerverse.org/tanet/net...s.php&id=24503

Old 07-26-2005, 10:07 PM   #14
psychofilly
*My* Angel eats nuns.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Brightside
Marsters will not be playing Brainiac, but Agent Dox?

http://www.slayerverse.org/tanet/net...s.php&id=24503
From reading the comments, the geeks over there say Dox and Brainiac are one and the same.
Old 07-26-2005, 10:47 PM   #15
Mr.Brightside
Queen Charisma...

Hmmmm, I never know Brainic was Agent Dox. But it doesn't matter, as long as we see James playing someone, Im happy.