View Single Post
Old 04-27-2004, 10:37 PM   #46
Mab
The orbit of your hips

Quote:
Originally Posted by Platypus
Sadly, there are evidently many women that fall into that category. I'm not sure if it's self-loathing, or something else.

As far as the whole generic "FHM" was classy, but this was not "argument", I think that's just about one of the more disappointing (but perhaps not unexpected) opinions put forth. The only difference is a nipple - or rather, two of them. Why are some people so affected by the sight of actual nipples? As others have already pointed out, a lot of the MAXIM and FHM shots are extremely suggestive and sexual, much more so than Charisma's photos here, but somehow it makes sense that if you pose provocatively but don't expose your nipples that it's "classy"? That's nonsense, in my opinion, but reflective I suppose of American arbitrary decency standards.

And I'm not sure what anyone here has to be "disappointed" about - it's not your body, and not your choice. If you believe fundamentally that a woman has the right to do what she wants with her body, including posing nude, then why are you disappointed? Because she didn't make the same choice you might have made? Chrissy has indicated clearly that Charisma was extremely happy with the pictures, and presumably freely made the decision to pose, so let it be.

FWIW, I think Charisma has more class naked than most people do covered up with parkas. Class isn't just about your body - in fact, it has little do with your body. It's about how you conduct yourself and how you present yourself to other people, not to mention how you treat other people and deal with everyday life.

And sorry to get so snippy, but I find it almost offensive that people are taking not-so-subtle jabs at a woman for making a choice about her own body.

ETA: In fact, I find it almost as offensive as comments expressing "disappointment" that she didn't "go all the way", or treat the readers to shots below the belt, etc. These were the pictures she approved. This was what she wanted to show. She's not responsible for what people take from this beyond being willing to do the pictorial in the first place for her own reasons.

Wordy, McFarkin' WORD. This is exactly what I've been trying to say to people all day who say they're "disappointed" with her decision. I'm going to stop trying to say it and just quote you.

Now. I'm going to take one last look at the Divine Queen C and then it's TV with my cats.

P.S. Hey, Lara! List Girl. You rocketh.

Obnoxious Delusional Sycophant
Mab is offline   Reply With Quote