View Single Post
Old 02-24-2004, 08:45 AM   #66
SamIAm
It's all about Cordy.

Parting Gifts is Angel's answer to "Inca Mummy Girl"; lots of people absolutely loathe it, but all I see is an interesting story that provided closure for Doyle, introduced Wesley as the replacement character, and transitioned Cordy from Girl Friday to full-fledged member of the PTB's team. Really, what people hate about it eludes me.

Anyway, some classic Cordy moments here as well. The audition scene turned Cordy's sorrow at Doyle's loss into one of the funniest moments from the outsider's POV. Getting that double whammy of sorrow and laughter in one fell swoop shows just what the writing of old was capable of, and CC's performance underlines that.

It also shows just how much courage Cordy has. She goes from wanting to get rid of the visions to accepting them as the gift they were (before that got ruined too) in the space of one episode. Tell me again "they" didn't screw up when "they" didn't pick Cordy to be the Slayer.

And of course, a great moment: "After an all-nighter of fighting the lurking evil, we get eggs."

All in all, a satisfying episode that started Cordy on the road to one of the better character arcs.