View Single Post
Old 02-14-2004, 06:14 PM   #30
Platypus
The Pointy End

Killed by Death

This is one of my favorite Season 2 episodes. The poor Buffy stuff I can ignore in favour of some genuinely interesting interaction between Xander and Cordy. We get the first sign that Cordy is very much aware that Xander still has a thing for Buffy, and the first sign of Cordy standing up for herself and starting to demand that Xander put her first. ("Watch MY back".) And even though she's put off by him, she still brings him coffee and doughnuts. Because that's just the kind of gal she is - she won't hold back on telling you when she's mad, but she won't pout about it either or let it get in the way of her helping to do what's right.

We also see Cordy as truthteller cutting to the heart of things, and especially with respect to Buffy's weak excuses. She may not have been tactful, but it was incredibly insightful of her to understand Buffy's desire to conjure up a monster to fight so that she wouldn't have to feel so helpless. (Of course, because it was BTVS, there WAS a monster, but Cordy was still very right.)

And lastly, one of my favorite all-time Cordy lines: "Tact is just not saying true stuff. I'll pass."

Tact is just not saying true stuff. I'll pass.
Platypus is offline   Reply With Quote