View Single Post
Old 09-30-2003, 11:14 PM   #29
Dannyblue
a.k.a. Danielle

Quote:
Originally posted by KarKar
For me she was too much like Buffy. And not in the good way. Whiney, flippant, quick to judge and a major chip on her shoulder. Kind of like Buffy if she survived another 10-15 years.
Okay, get ready to pounce. I liked Kate at first because she was so much like Buffy.

Take a deep breath and let me explain.

At the time, I was still a mild B/Aer. And, like Kar said, I thought of her as "Buffy in 10 or 15 years." The similarities, especially in later episodes, are so striking. And, well, if Angel had to be with anybody, I figured that, if he picked someone that much like Buffy, it would mean he only really still loved Buffy, and Kate was just a substitute. So, she was a good stand-in as far as I was considered. A place-holder until Angel and Buffy could get back together.

I know, I know. But that's where my head was when the series started. By about mid-season, all of my B/A-ness had faded. The C/A thing was already working it's magic...although I remained in denial until season two.

I just noticed something watching "Lonely Hearts" that made me think. It's the last scene between Angel and Kate. There are ambulances, police, and paramedics everywhere. As Angel walks away, Kate watches wistfully as he disappears into the night.

Remind anyone of another scene? Say, the one in at the end of "Graduation". The Sunnydale High parking lot is filled with ambulances, police, paramedics, etc. As Angel walks away, preparing to leave Sunnydale, Buffy watches wistfully as he disappears into the night.

Makes you wonder.