View Single Post
Old 02-24-2004, 07:54 PM   #68
Platypus
The Pointy End

Good to see you back in the mix Morrigan! At this point, I had pretty much concluded that there was no point to this thread other than Terry, Bert and I amusing ourselves. Not that that would be a bad thing, but still... new blood!

And so we move on to Expecting, the first in an (unfortunate) series of demonic pregnancies/metaphoric assaults on Cordy. This was, FWIW, the best of the lot. We see at the beginning of the episode that Cordy is still struggling to maintain some balance in her life, and this is really our first hint at the loneliness she would express a couple of seasons later. A great C/A subtext scene in the teaser, with Angel getting all protective about Cordy's date. And the first reference to Cordy's "filing system".

Cordy on her date isn't the confident QueenC of Sunnydale. She admits her dating skills are rusty, and she's unsure and a little nervous. I thought Charisma did a wonderful job with this, balancing the innate attitude with the inner insecurity.

Hate Wilson Christopher. He made Cordy cry. That is all.

I also thought Charisma really portrayed Cordy's fears and vulnerabilities when Angel and Wes come looking for her. Of course, much of the rest of the episode featured a fetus-possessed Cordy (hello, Season 4!), but the ending ranks as one of my favorite Cordy moments. As soon as the possession loses its hold, Cordy comes out swinging. Literally.

And I love the final scene, with both Wes and Angel stumbling around, trying so hard to make sure Cordy was alright, with the magazines and all. (Sigh. Those were the days.) And the classic pronouncement that she's stronger than people realize.

Good ep.

Tact is just not saying true stuff. I'll pass.
Platypus is offline   Reply With Quote