View Single Post
Old 05-24-2009, 01:27 AM   #1
Dannyblue
a.k.a. Danielle

Vampire Movie Recommendations

The Vampire Diaries, the new vampire show airing on the CW this fall, has given my vamp love a little boost. And, while I'm skeptical about the show, I thought watching some vampire movies would be a nice way to fill the summer hiatus. And I know I'm not the only Stranger who loves vamps, so I thought, "Recs Thread!"

So what vamp movies do you like? They can be old or new, really good or so bad they're good. Give a summary of the movie without getting too spoilery (or put any spoilery bits in spoilery tags). And if you feel the urge to rate the hotness of the vampires in the movie, no one will complain.

I'll start with one very few people seem to have heard of. It was called The Wisdom of Crocodiles when released in theaters. When first released on DVD, the name was changed to Immortality. Maybe they were afraid the original title (which comes from a Francis Bacon quote about crocodiles that cry when they devour their prey) was too obscure, and most people wouldn't get that it was a vampire movie. And I kind of see their point. But I still like the original title better.

Anyway, The Wisdom of Crocodiles stars Jude Law as a vampire named Steven. And while Steven has to drink blood to live, and is unusually fast and strong, he can also walk in the sun, doesn't have fangs, and isn't bothered by crosses. Which I usually dislike. (I like my vampires to be vampires, ya know?) But it worked for me in this movie.

The film is actually like a character study. It's all about how Steven lives among normal people, being what he is, and doing what he has to do to survive. (Getting blood from a blood bank or an animal isn't an option for him. Which is unfortunate for some of the people who cross his path.) It's not exactly what you'd call action-packed (although there is some action), so some might find it a little slow in places. But I love character-study type stuff, so I really liked it. Plus, as weird as Steven is, he's also oddly appealing. A little creepy, but appealing.

So what vamp movies can you recommend for summer viewing? Plus I'd love to know what anyone who's seen Wisdom of Crocodiles thought of it.