View Single Post
Old 03-27-2013, 07:29 AM   #215
Morrigan
Who Da Man?!

I thought this was a good, exciting episode and Norman Reedus killed it at the end.

However, I had two major issues with the episode. The first is that they telegraphed Merle's death a mile away. I knew from the Rick/Merle conversation in the jail cell that Merle was toast. I also knew how it was going to end, they were setting him up for a redemption storyline that would ultimately end up with Daryl having to kill Zombie Merle.

Rick/Merle, Carol/Merle, Daryl/Glenn and then finally Merle/Daryl conversations all pointed to one very specific ending, IMO.

The other issue, which didn't occur to me while watching but, has grown on me the more I've thought/talked about the episode. There was actually no need for Merle to die, in this episode. More importantly there was no need for Merle to die and The Gov to live.

When I look back it's like someone walked into the writer's room and said, OK this is the episode where Merle gets redeemed then dies....Go!

All that being said, I did enjoy the episode, Michael Rooker was fantastic as always and Norman Reedus was amazing in all his scenes with Merle, especially the final scene.

ETA: I agree with Skippy, I didn't like the fact that they didn't address the Andrea situation at all. It kind of killed the suspense of the previous episode's ending.