View Single Post
Old 11-27-2004, 07:17 PM   #36
itsyogyrl
Lee Mercer Fan!

Even though I loved CC, I wasn't planning on watching Angel because Angel the character did not appeal to me. He did not have any strong, non-hate-filled relationships with any of the good guys except Buffy, and all he ever seemed to do was be angsty and kill bad guys.

Eventually I did start to watch Angel, and I did start to enjoy his character, little by little. But what really won me over was his interactions with others. In the first couple of episodes, if he wasn't fighting for justice, he just wanted to be alone with his books or his thoughts of Buffy. He seemed to abhor contact with others, and he was always glaring at Cordelia or Doyle, or looked uncomfortable in a very constipated way. But as the series he progressed, he really started to unwind. He appreciated his friends, he wanted to spend time with them.

The C\A relationship, to me, symbolized this whole change in character. It was progression. A lot of people found it wildly OOC, but I saw it more as Angel finally becoming more human, instead of staying the detatched, mopey guy, who would kill himself in an instant if it weren't for Buffy and\or redemption. Doyle said Cordelia was humanizing influence, and I agree wholeheartedly. Being human is more than being able to be in the sun, being able to age, and having a reflection. And while Angel was able to become this more humanized person with more than just Cordelia, I'd always felt that the bond the two of them had with each other was stronger than the bonds either of them had with others.

"Various anti-Bush groups plan to protest his inauguration by lining the streets and turning their backs on his motorcade. You know that's not going to work. He's just gonna get out to see what they're all looking at." --Amy Poehler, Weekend Update 12-18-04
itsyogyrl is offline   Reply With Quote