View Single Post
Old 02-24-2004, 01:11 PM   #67
Bert
The Evil Potato Chip

Somnambulist sees the beginning of the newest chapter in Cordy's life. The last episode was more of a transition between old and new. Now we are firmly in the new. Cordy is Angel's closest friend, she's also probably Wesley's as well and she's handling the visions. Anyway, this is the episode that sees her giving the hard sell to a chair and a chance for her to demonstrate her loyalty to Angel.

CORDELIA: No! I don’t care how many files you have on all the horrible things he did back in the powdered wig days. He is good now and he is my friend and nothing you or anyone else can say will make me turn on a friend.

ANGEL: Cordelia. He’s right.

CORDELIA: You stake him and I’ll cut his head off.

We get her grumbling about her job, but not the vision part... it's just the chains and coffee she objects to.

CORDELIA: I get to make the coffee and chain the boss to the bed. Got to join a union.

ANGEL: Cordelia, I think that’s tight enough.

CORDELIA: And if turns out we’re back on the liquid lunch? Better safe than cocktails.

Then of course she's giving the hard sell to Penn, little realising that he's the bad guy. At least not straight away. Anyway, while he taunts her about not reaching the exit she does a smart move and pulls open the blinds letting sunlight fill the room. Unfortunately, she completely negates this moment of smartness with a moment of idiotness when Angel asks her for a stake she replies "It’s like eight in the morning." Not her best moment, and this was not a Cordelia line. Doyle could have gotten away with it, but not Cordy.

Best moment of the episode? Cordy and Angel bonding on the roof.

From Cordy entering and announcing the vein on her head is doing the cha-cha to puzzling over the grammatical difficulties of the Powers That Be. From Angel looking at her and agreeing that people do change to Cordelia promising to kill him dead. This whole scene was a classic. So, was the episode, it set the tone for the rest of the season and it showed Angel realising for the first time that Cordelia is his friend.

At Weekends My Name Is Ernie
Bert is offline   Reply With Quote