View Single Post
Old 07-15-2005, 12:16 AM   #24
September

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angela
To be perfectly honest, the only reason I go to the Guggenheim is the building and the...well, not novelty. The experience, I guess. Modern art is really not my thing.

And you know, I'm surprised that there aren't buyers lined up even though the building is sliding into a canyon. It seems surprising that someone with way more greenstuff than me isn't interested in buying and refurbishing a FLW house.
Well, you could end up with just the site (or half a site) if it slides down the hill. I suspect that part of the issue is that you'd never get permission to alter the house and LA seems all about people buying property and changing it to fit their personalities. This is not a city with much of a sense of history - people buy famous properties so they can rip them down and build new ones.

There is also the issue that FLW houses are often beautiful, but as others have pointed out, not exactly well designed to last. They sometimes leak or have structural flaw that take a lot to fix. The one in Barnsdale Park (also near Griffith Park) has been under repair for ages. That's owned by the city but they haven't had it open for at least 3 years.

livejournally thingy
September is offline   Reply With Quote