View Single Post
Old 07-14-2005, 11:37 PM   #21
That*clown

Location: suburban D.C.-supplied with a different breed of demons
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angela
Could be, Tc, could be! I've never been to a real FLW structure (there being rather a dearth of them in Texas), so my knowledge is limited to a long ago exhibit at the Dallas Museum of Art (furniture) and books and film. Especially a PBS minis-series about his life, which I loved.

No, wait--I have been to the Guggenheim, and if I'm not mistaken there was either a replica or an actual room created by FLW at the Met.
The Guggenheim Is pretty amazing. isn't it? I forget to look at the art because I'm so busy looking at the art it's housed in! There is a FLW house at the Met-the Little house-and their library is in some museum in Pittsburg. That's gotta be weird for family members to visit. They are in museums instead of the house they belong in because, as Morrigan said, the house was hard to sell. But that was in the '60s and the '70s when his stuff was just starting to be put in historic perspective and people weren't yet as comfortable with modern design. I think that if one of his houses came on the market today and it wasn't sliding into a canyon that there would be no shortage of interested people with large amounts of cash. He's now recognized as a master and his buildings are sometimes soggy but still art.

Go, me.
That*clown is offline   Reply With Quote