Thread: Dexter
View Single Post
Old 01-02-2007, 10:28 AM   #16
Platypus
The Pointy End

So, I'm totally behind the times and late to the game, but I did finally catch up on all of the episodes for Season 1 (including the finale) over the winter break, and I was completely blown away. I thought it was an amazing series, and now cannot wait until the second season.

I've always been a fan of Michael C. Hall (David on SFU was by far my favorite character towards the end), but he surpassed all of my expectations with his layered portrayal of Dexter. And Julie Benz should be giving thanks to some sort of deity, because this was an amazing role for her to land and she did a fantastic job.

Even the characters I didn't like in the beginning (like Debra, and LaGuerta), I loved by the end. Except for Doakes - I hate Doakes. And I'm not sure if it's the actor or the writers or what - I get that he doesn't like Dexter, and I'm fine with someone being suspicious about it. But he's so over-the-top about it - it's like he's in perpetual barking army drill sergeant mode. I have to think in the real world he'd be suspended or something for showing such unwavering and bullying abuse towards a co-worker.

But... that was my only small quibble. I thought Rudy/Brian was fabulous as a villain (and Christian Camargo was a revelation as an actor). All in all, a really great show, and now I'm sort of sorry that I didn't watch it every week as it was airing.

Tact is just not saying true stuff. I'll pass.
Platypus is offline   Reply With Quote