View Single Post
Old 11-19-2010, 07:51 AM   #37
Platypus
The Pointy End

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamIAm View Post
There's no subtlety to be exploited in conflict with them, so you need someone to be the antagonist, but you know, why your neighbor?
To quote the great Tommy Lee Jones in "MIB": A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky dangerous animals and you know it.

When stressed, many people (particularly people in large groups) behave badly. When they are also scared, grieving and fighting for survival, it's even worse. I'd like to believe that better angels will prevail, but I think most post-apocalyptic fiction is working from a premise that's not too far off the mark.

I really like the Rick character and think we're meant to view him as a decent person, but also as an exception to the rule. For ever good samaritan who will stop and help someone in trouble, even at risk to his/her own life, there are plenty of otherwise decent people who just look away and keep on walking if there's any risk to them in becoming involved. And if you were a wife-beater before the Zombie Apocalypse (and let's face it, there are plenty of abusive spouses around), you're not likely to stop when you're in a high-stress situation - you'll probably get worse.

I don't care too much for Shane (not because he's sleeping with Lori, but just because he seems like an arrogant bully), but needless to say I had no problem with him wiping the dirt with Ed. Then again, I might not have just left Merle Dixon on the roof - I might have advocated tossing him over the side to better create a feeding distraction so the rest of us could escape.

Tact is just not saying true stuff. I'll pass.
Platypus is offline   Reply With Quote