View Single Post
Old 06-14-2011, 09:08 AM   #12
DamnSkippy

Hmmm...I never really gave my "heroes" much thought before, but I think I must distinguish between my superheroes and "suped-up" ones because I agree with Sam and Morrigan in some ways. I need my superheroes to be good through and through. I don't want to see them be fallible. They were born with all this power and they have chosen to use their powers to help others. Any fallibility makes them lesser than, and brings them too close to human for me. I don't like to see them weak or indecisive. I guess that's why I stopped watching Smallville in year 2. One time making Clark evil was bad enough, but doing it again and again pissed me off.

Then you have your suped-up humans (like Angel) and I expect them to still be human and have to struggle to do the right thing. The triumph over that struggle makes me all woohoo and the failing makes me go all woobie for them (or angry with them depending on the situation). But, then, they realize what they have to do to triumph again and I'm all woohoo again.

I guess I emphathize with the suped-up hero, but I want to be a superhero. I find I am more bored more, though, with the suped-up ones because I have low tolerance with people of power and privilege being all emo when they have so much more than others do. I know there are exceptions - those who are emo and have every right to be - but they are underdogs and I, like everyone else, root for the underdog.
DamnSkippy is offline   Reply With Quote