View Single Post
Old 05-25-2009, 04:42 PM   #25
Dannyblue
a.k.a. Danielle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morrigan View Post
One movie that I really liked but doesn't seem too popular is Near Dark I don't know why I liked it, could have been because it had THE Pasdar in is but it was so different from the other Vampire/horror movies that came out around that time.
Near Dark is just brutal. There's nothing romantic about these vamps or the way they kill. It's all gritty and raw, and real. (Or as real as you can get when talking about vampires.) Like, "If somebody bites you on the neck and starts drinking your blood, it ain't gonna be sexy and erotic. It's gonna hurt. A lot. And then you'll just be dead."

Also, it seems like the 80s were when not-so-evil vamps started turning up in the movies. Before that, a vampire "woke up" evil, no matter what kind of person they were in life. In Near Dark, you have Caleb (Pasder) who is the same guy after vamping as he was before. And since Human!Caleb wasn't the homicidal type, Vamp!Caleb isn't either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dathan View Post
Another old favorite is Innocent Blood, about a french vampire taking on the mob.
I also like Innocent Blood. What tickles me about this movie is that, when the mobsters get vamped, their first thought is to use their vampiness to take over the city and stick it to the other "organiations." They still think like mobsters, just with fangs, and being vamps is just another weapon to them.