Stranger Things Forum

Stranger Things Forum (http://www.stranger-things.net/forum/index.php)
-   Movie Mania! (http://www.stranger-things.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=26)
-   -   The Last Airbender (http://www.stranger-things.net/forum/showthread.php?t=22123)

Morrigan 06-29-2010 08:38 PM

The Last Airbender

Anyone going to see it? The trailer looks really cool and I loved the cartoon.

Penny Century 06-29-2010 08:44 PM

I loved the cartoon, too, and the Shyamalan version does look worthwhile. I'll probably give it a go in the theater.

SamIAm 06-30-2010 10:31 AM

Yeah, I think it looks pretty good too, even with no experience in the entire Airbender family of fine products. It looks too like it's one of those movies that needs to be seen in a theater, if you want to see it at all.

Morrigan 06-30-2010 11:39 AM

Yeah, it reminds me of Lord of The Rings movies, those we just so amazing in scope they deserved to be seen on the big screen.

From what I'm hearing the 3D is nothing special so i'll probably check it out in 2D and save the money.

Lovin' Lorne 07-04-2010 02:38 AM

Have any of you seen it yet? Is it really as bad as they say?

Angela 07-04-2010 10:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lovin' Lorne (Post 395602)

THIS. It's been a long time since I've seen reviews quite this bad, and not just from original source loyalists.

Lovin' Lorne 07-04-2010 11:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Angela (Post 395604)
THIS. It's been a long time since I've seen reviews quite this bad, and not just from original source loyalists.

I'd have to say that Gigli, or maybe Ishtar, is the last thing I remember getting such rotten reviews across the board.

It seems like the magic has worn off of old M. Night.

Penny Century 07-04-2010 12:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lovin' Lorne (Post 395605)
I'd have to say that Gigli, or maybe Ishtar, is the last thing I remember getting such rotten reviews across the board.

It seems like the magic has worn off of old M. Night.

Let's not forget that a lot of critics have it in for him at this point, after getting mugged (in their own view) by The Happening. Call it Wachowski Syndrome.

SamIAm 07-04-2010 01:28 PM

Quote:

I was afraid to try it out after reading Roger Ebert's review.

Childe of Blade 07-04-2010 05:34 PM

Seems M. Night has been contracting John Hughes syndrome for the better part of a decade now.

Morrigan 07-04-2010 09:23 PM

Quote:

I will most likely see it tomorrow and will give you a review. I'm quite astounded by the reviews, especially the one calling it the "worst movie of our lifetime" (really?, is that even possible?)

I'll give you my report after the movie, and will try to be fair and balanced ;) without spoilers.

Angela 07-04-2010 11:09 PM

Morrigan, it's exactly that kind of hyberbole that makes me wonder so much about it. I think I'm more curious about it now than I was before the bad buzz. It absolutely cannot be the worst movie of our lifetime. The movies LL mentioned, Ishtar and Gigli. Or that Mariah Carey movie, or Waterworld. Seriously, special effects alone has to raise this one a few notches, because those look pretty spectacular in the commercials.

Of course, with McDonalds marketing and my nephews' love of the series, chances are I'm going to be seeing it myself in any case. One of my nephews started trying to explain the four elements to me today. It's surprising what a four-year-old can pick up.

jerry 07-05-2010 03:39 PM

Shayalaman has alienated the press with his arrogant, control-freak nature in much the way Joss has alienated a fair amount of online fans, so there's a lot of desire to see a career apocalypse for him. But that didn't happen with "The Happening", and it doesn't seem likely with "Airbender", either. It may not be at all a good movie, but I don't think it's actually epically, all-time awful.

SamIAm 07-07-2010 09:36 AM

Can we assume the deafening silence on the subject means the reviews were not unjust?

Penny Century 07-07-2010 11:49 AM

Well, I haven't seen it yet, so my deafening silence is down to that. ;)