Stranger Things Forum

Stranger Things Forum (http://www.stranger-things.net/forum/index.php)
-   Movie Mania! (http://www.stranger-things.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=26)
-   -   Buffy Movie (http://www.stranger-things.net/forum/showthread.php?t=22216)

SamIAm 11-22-2010 04:43 PM

Buffy Movie

It's going ahead, it would appear. While I have no particular opinion on whether or not Whedon and Whedon alone should be making the movie, I do wonder what the point is or 'rebooting' the franchise and not having it set in high school. I mean, that was the entire point, you know?

Morrigan 11-22-2010 05:20 PM

I think the producers are over estimating the appeal of the Buffy name versus the show/characters.

I'm sure the Whedonites think differently but what turns me off the idea of the reboot is that the characters I loved the most, will be missing.

It also seems odd to take the show out of High School. Can't say I'm interested in seeing this movie but I'll wait to make a decision once it comes out.

Syn 11-22-2010 05:56 PM

I'm pretty much against this idea, because I'm still holding out (probably false) hope that the original cast would do a movie. I'm pretty disinterested in seeing anyone else but Sarah Michelle Gellar as Buffy. If you got her, and the rest of the cast, back to do a movie, I think that would put a lot of asses in the seats and they'd make some cashy money.

I've got no opinion on Whedon either way.

tojoson 11-22-2010 06:01 PM

I think they're just trying to cash in on the vampire craze going around now.

I think it will fail--fail--fail.

Kit 11-23-2010 05:56 AM

Whedon Reacts to Reboot

Belle Melange 11-23-2010 02:38 PM

Quote:

This is a sad, sad reflection on our times, when people must feed off the carcasses of beloved stories from their youths — just because they can’t think of an original idea of their own, like I did with my Avengers idea that I made up myself.
I hope he's joking :erm:

DamnSkippy 11-23-2010 02:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Belle Melange (Post 396791)
I hope he's joking :erm:

Yes, he is. :)

Kit 11-23-2010 03:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DamnSkippy (Post 396792)
Yes, he is. :)

Yeah...his statement is actually quite classy. *duck*

Dannyblue 11-23-2010 04:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Syn (Post 396784)
I'm pretty much against this idea, because I'm still holding out (probably false) hope that the original cast would do a movie. I'm pretty disinterested in seeing anyone else but Sarah Michelle Gellar as Buffy. If you got her, and the rest of the cast, back to do a movie, I think that would put a lot of asses in the seats and they'd make some cashy money.

While a movie with the show's cast would probably do very well, I have no interest in seeing it. By the time the show was over, I'd lost my love for just about all of the characters. So the idea of seeing them return in a movie doesn't fill me with enthusiasm.

But I'm even less enthusiastic about a reboot. It just seems way too soon for it.

Morrigan 11-23-2010 04:53 PM

I wonder if there would be some sort of legal obstacles as well. From what I understand WB owns the Buffy rites (because of the original movie) but FOX owns the TV Series characters (Xander, Angel, Cordy, Willow, Giles, etc).

Plus with WB making the movie based on the original product it kind of kills any chance of FOX making a series based theatrical production.

In regards to a BTVS movie I'm actually kind of glad they're not making it b/c I'd hate to see them make one without Cordy and I don't think the asshat would bring her back.

Lovin' Lorne 11-25-2010 01:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dannyblue (Post 396795)
While a movie with the show's cast would probably do very well, I have no interest in seeing it. By the time the show was over, I'd lost my love for just about all of the characters. So the idea of seeing them return in a movie doesn't fill me with enthusiasm.

But I'm even less enthusiastic about a reboot. It just seems way too soon for it.

Exactly. By the time the last episode of both shows aired, I was watching with a "Well, I started it, so I might as well finish it" attitude. They all could have been blown off the face of the earth or sucked into the Hellmouth for all I cared.

Paying to see them on the big screen holds no appeal whatsoever.

SamIAm 12-01-2010 10:55 AM

Apparently Whedon turned down the offer to do the Buffy reboot movie.

Bryan 12-01-2010 03:51 PM

"According to studio insiders" i.e. a guy called Rusty on the maingate.

DamnSkippy 12-01-2010 04:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bryan (Post 396859)

Don't knock Rusty. These guys know more than most executives know.

SamIAm 12-01-2010 05:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bryan (Post 396859)

Rusty's the man, dude.

It makes sense they'd have asked, even if it was just a quick phone call to see if there were any interest at all. Given his bitterness to how the original Buffy movie ended up, it also makes sense he'd say no.