Stranger Things Forum

Stranger Things Forum (http://www.stranger-things.net/forum/index.php)
-   TV Party! (http://www.stranger-things.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=22)
-   -   The Walking Dead (http://www.stranger-things.net/forum/showthread.php?t=22203)

Syn 10-31-2010 11:38 PM

The Walking Dead

Anyone else watching this show? Personally, zombies are one of my favorite things ever, so a whole show about a zombie apocalypse is like my kind of crack!

I loved premiere, even though it had a lot in common with 28 Days Later. The zombies are a lot scarier than I thought they'd be for TV. There were some geniunely scary moments.

So? Anyone?

I Heart Dirt 11-01-2010 01:07 AM

I loved it too!

I've actually been reading the comics and its such a great interpretation both visually and in plot. The first episode was an expansion of a 30 page issue that was fleshes out.

My only problem with it so far is the actor that plays Shane just reminds me of the character he played on the show the Class which is like the typical dumb pot head-y sounding guy, and the actor that plays Rick is quite clearly British, but none of it mattered to me after 10 mins of the episode.

I LOVED IT.

Morrigan 11-01-2010 11:35 AM

It's on my DVR will watch it when I get home, at first I thought it was a movie for halloween but now that I know it's a series I'm kind of excited for it.

Syn 11-01-2010 12:25 PM

That zombie that was crawling in the park....that was seriously the best, scariest zombie ever. The bone legs! Ugh! It just got me! I was so creeped out!

Then there was that moment where he rounded the corner and all the zombies---or is it walkers on this show?---were all massed up in a group... I actually squeaked and drew my legs up, which is a sure sign that I'm actually scared.

Any show that can do that to me gets my seal of approval! I can't wait for more!

Dathan 11-01-2010 01:30 PM

delurks

Ok, so I've been reading the comics since the beginning and am a huge fan of the zombie apocalypse genre (and was so a long time before the current fad was born) and I have to say the show is amazing.

If they keep up the production quality, the emotional impact, AND the intensity of the plot even for a few episodes, I'm going to go ahead and say this may be the best representation of the zombie genre since the original Night of Living Dead. Zombies don't have to spew goo on half naked starlets or be olympic level sprinters in order to be scary, and yes, when he rounded the corner and saw the massed walkers standing there...definitely an "oh crap" moment.

I don't want to talk too much because people haven't seen it yet, but even if you don't like zombies per se, treat yourself to a great example of building tension and building horror and watch the episode.

/delurks

Morrigan 11-01-2010 04:01 PM

That was awesome and it had excellent ratings to boot, 5.34 million viewers.

The beginning did seem a bit like 28 Days Later but I was OK with it. I really like most of the characters and look forward to the eventual Lori/Rick/Shane reunion.

I have to admit that I had to watch that final scene in Atlanta near the tank on FF and will go to the end saying the horsey ran away. :)

I do wonder if they'll be able to sustain a Zombie series in the long run, just not sure if it'll work but as of right now I am hooked for the duration.

Belle Melange 11-01-2010 06:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Syn (Post 396612)
That zombie that was crawling in the park....that was seriously the best, scariest zombie ever. The bone legs! Ugh! It just got me! I was so creeped out!

My exact words when that part came on: "Oh my god! Gross! (beat) This is awesome!"

SamIAm 11-05-2010 07:53 AM

Late to the party, but I finished the pilot, finally. Usually I couldn't care less about zombies (more a vampire guy), but this one worked. I mean, anytime you can feel sorry for a half-person crawling across the park, well... That's some kind of writing.

For anyone who did get through the final scene without FF'ing, that was a voice over the radio in the tank, right? So it's probably not a stretch to assume the military, such as it is, is running their own game in Atlanta?

Morrigan 11-05-2010 10:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SamIAm (Post 396630)
For anyone who did get through the final scene without FF'ing, that was a voice over the radio in the tank, right? So it's probably not a stretch to assume the military, such as it is, is running their own game in Atlanta?

It was a voice over the tank radio but I don't think it was military seemed almost like a kid/punk. I'm guessing maybe a military survivor but not part of a still organized military outfit.

I Heart Dirt 11-05-2010 12:31 PM

What does FFing mean?

The last scene did make me totally freak, though. I've read the comics to I know what happens, but wow did they put him in a seemingly impossible to escape position!

Here is a little spoiler on who the voice on the radio was its Glenn. A kid who travels into the city from time to time to get supplies. I don't want to say anymore because I don't want to give too too much away.

Oh, and I think I said before that the first episode was the first issue, but I just looked and it was actually a little bit less than the first two.

Morrigan 11-05-2010 01:29 PM

FFing means fast forwarding.

SamIAm 11-05-2010 01:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Morrigan (Post 396631)
It was a voice over the tank radio but I don't think it was military seemed almost like a kid/punk. I'm guessing maybe a military survivor but not part of a still organized military outfit.

Yeah, I went with a military (or rogue military) group 'cause of the helicopter. Seemed a bit more organized than a street gang or some such. I didn't highlight the spoiler though, so I may well be wrong.

Syn 11-07-2010 11:27 PM

Wow. Just wow. I hope everyone else watched the newest episode, because it was amazeballs!

I'm digging the hell out of this show. I was so sickened by them smearing the guts on themselves...and the intestine scarves were a bit much...but I dig that they went there. It was a pretty smart move, you know...until it started to rain.

That redneck, Merle, is going to cause soooo much trouble. He's just that type of guy who can't get along with anyone. I hate characters like him, and there's always at least one, maybe two, in movies/shows like this. He was pretty much inevitable. At least T-Dog tried to unlock the cuffs, and then he at least locked the door so that zombies didn't eat his ass. I forsee Merle getting over to the toolbox and unlocking the cuffs himself. Which can only mean trouble.

I'm a little smitten with Rick, I don't mind saying. I'm going to be so sad for him when he finds out that Lori and Shane are having an affair. I really want to know how their relationship started, or if Lori knows that Rick isn't dead...or in a coma. Were they sleeping together before the apocalypse? I want answers!!

I really dug Glenn. Mostly because he looked like Short Round from Indiana Jones, which makes me smile. He's a natural leader and I think that kid definitely has his shit together. I appreciate that on a lot of levels. I really hope nothing happens to him.

So yeah. OBSESSED WITH THIS SHOW!!!

Morrigan 11-08-2010 12:03 PM

I think I spent the whole episode worried about Glenn, I just adored that kid. Then I spent the other half of the evening pairing Rick up with a new woman because I don't like Lori all that much. Originally I thought about the blond girl from camp but I think she's too young. Then I figured her big sister would be cool and they had a nice little moment.

If Rick does end up with Lori and I don't think that's a given, they were having marital issues long before the outbreak so it's possible that they just can't make a go of it. However, if they put those two back together, we're going to need to find someone for Shane.

Syn 11-08-2010 02:33 PM

Yeah, I have a feeling that Rick and Andrea are going to at least have some sort of blossoming relationship. I don't know if it'll be immediate, but eventually something is going to happen there. I was afraid something would happen to Glenn when he was luring them away with the Mustang. Glad he got away.

SamIAm 11-08-2010 03:10 PM

Apparently AMC can read the writing on the wall. They already renewed TWD for a second season.

Morrigan 11-08-2010 03:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Syn (Post 396644)
Yeah, I have a feeling that Rick and Andrea are going to at least have some sort of blossoming relationship. I don't know if it'll be immediate, but eventually something is going to happen there. I was afraid something would happen to Glenn when he was luring them away with the Mustang. Glad he got away.

I was yelling at the screen, roll your window up idiot...then i remember he couldn't, it was broken; which of course led to massive anxiety over one of the Walkers attacking him through the window.

The final scene of him riding down the highway in the Mustang was also unsettling, I kept waiting for something to happen, kind of missed the fun/joy of the moment :D

Besides the interesting characters and dramatic storylines unfolding, this show certainly keeps you on the edge of your seat.

Quote:

Originally Posted by SamIAm
Apparently AMC can read the writing on the wall. They already renewed TWD for a second season.

Not surprised, it opened really well and week 2 held strong as well.

10pm airing – 3.1 HH rating with over 4.7 million viewers;
Adults 18-49 – 3.3 million viewers;
Adults 25-54 – 2.8 million viewers;
Men 18-49 – 2.1 million viewers.

Belle Melange 11-08-2010 04:56 PM

Love this show!

That was a Dodge Challenger not a Mustang. I only know this because that is my car of the moment and it was in my color.

Anyway, love that they went there with the guts. Can't wait to see Norman Reedus. I find him attractive for some strange reason (he's not my normal type).

Syn 11-08-2010 08:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Belle Melange (Post 396648)
Love this show!

That was a Dodge Challenger not a Mustang. I only know this because that is my car of the moment and it was in my color.

Ahhh... Cool. I can usually tell the classic muscle cars apart, mostly, but these new versions tend to look exactly alike to me. I actually have a whole rant about how ugly the new Charger is...but I won't bore you with it. LOL

AMC just made my week by going ahead and giving this show a season two greenlight. Yay!

SamIAm 11-09-2010 07:07 AM

I'm going to just assume that radio they had was a scavenged military radio and not a CB, 'cause really, tanks do not have CB radios in them. Other than that, another really good entry. They keep this up, they might just have something here.

SamIAm 11-13-2010 04:35 PM

This made me laugh. FWIW.

Syn 11-13-2010 07:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SamIAm (Post 396661)
This made me laugh. FWIW.

BWAHAHAAHA! So funny! :D

Morrigan 11-13-2010 08:22 PM

I really like this one as well, pretty funny although not specific to The Walking Dead

A Zombie Speaks

Shadow4Corangela 11-14-2010 04:53 PM

I absolutely LOVE this show. The scene where Rick has to shoot the zombie crawling around, in the very first ep was very heartbreaking. I actually felt sadness emitting from the zombie.

I have only freaked out once during the show; the one in which Rick comes across the gang of Zombies as he's following the helicopter. I did cringe slightly, when Rick was chopping up the zombie. Poor Glenn. lol! Everything else I've been able to deal with.

I've just started reading the Comics. I'm done with Volume, 1-3 and am currently on Vol. 4.

Can't wait to see today's ep. From the previews it look's like Rick will be reunited with his wife and son and the rest of the camp. :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by SamIAm (Post 396645)

Eeee! I'm so Happy!! :D

Syn 11-14-2010 10:44 PM

Hmmm....I don't know what to think about the new developments.

I feel awful for Rick, because he has no idea that Shane and Lori were having an affair. I'm still not liking Lori much, though now that we know that it was SHANE who told her that Rick was dead, I can cut her some slack. She really did think her husband was dead, and in her grief she turned to her protector. Not cool, Shane. Not cool AT ALL. I'm still not liking Lori much because she slept with Rick without coming clean to him. Yes, I think she should have come clean with him. Sure, he went through hell to get back to her, but he deserves to know. I'm kind of protective of Rick though.

As far as Shane beating the crap out of that wifebeater? I got me some Shane issues at the moment, but I really don't think he went too far there. That guy deserved a heck of a lot more than a simple pounding, but I have black and white views on wifebeaters and what they deserve.

I felt bad for Glenn. He loved that car.

I had a feeling that Merle was going to hack his own hand off, because there was no way he'd ever be able to get through the cuffs with the saw. Still...what a choice! I hope it wasn't his favorite hand. *snerk*

Morrigan 11-15-2010 09:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Syn (Post 396675)
Not cool, Shane. Not cool AT ALL. I'm still not liking Lori much because she slept with Rick without coming clean to him. Yes, I think she should have come clean with him. Sure, he went through hell to get back to her, but he deserves to know. I'm kind of protective of Rick though.

I'm cutting Shane some slack b/c what exactly was he supposed to do? Rick was in a coma. Taking Rick out of the hospital would have most likely killed him since I doubt they knew how to run an IV and keep him hydrated or safe. Plus, lugging around a guy in a coma would slow them down and make them Walker food.

I'm betting Shane thought about the risks/consequences and decided it was better/safer to leave Rick to die in the hospital than for all 3 of them to stay in town and "wait" to see/hope that Rick would somehow wake up. I'm also betting that he told Lori Rick died rather than saying hey we have to leave him to be Walker food it's better this way.

I don't hate Shane I think he's morally questionable, all of his actions indicate that he's in full blown survival mode and honor goes out the window. He was willing to let the supply group live/die on their own rather than leave the camp undefended. He was willing to let strangers ride to their deaths going into Atlanta rather than take time away from sustaining the camp to put up signs. IMO he's not a bad guy but he's not a hero either.

Quote:

As far as Shane beating the crap out of that wifebeater? I got me some Shane issues at the moment, but I really don't think he went too far there. That guy deserved a heck of a lot more than a simple pounding, but I have black and white views on wifebeaters and what they deserve.
Yep, totally agree with you there. I can't stand men who beat on their wives so I was kind of sitting there hoping Shane would beat Ed to death (cruel, I know). Given Shane's interaction the with ladies the night before, I'm guessing that while he went overboard on the beat down b/c of his Lori issues he would have taken the guy down anyway.

Loved the introduction of Daryl, he seems like a cool character like him a heck of a lot more than his brother Merle. Really starting to love Dale, such a great guy, I hope nothing happens to him. Glenn is still my man :). Andrea is totally growing on me, really liked her last night but I can't stand her sister (Lisa?).

The reunion between Rick/Carl was wonderful and really elevated the Rick character for me (from like to love). I'm still uncertain on Lori, need more time to figure out if I like/hate her. I was a bit squicked out by the husband/wife "reunion" while Carl was sleeping 3 feet away but I don't have kids so maybe it's normal for parents?

Syn 11-15-2010 01:12 PM

Morrigan, I don't hate Shane, I just don't like that he lied to Lori about Rick-in-a-coma, even though I did understand the reasons behind why he did it. She didn't have all the facts before she hooked up with him, and that feels incredibly dishonest to me. I'm mad at Shane for the same reason I'm mad at Lori for sleeping with Rick. I like the way Shane is with Carl; you can tell he's over the moon about him, and that love makes me want to forgive him.

And I totally agree about having sex with your kid three feet away. It's just...squicky.

I'm not sure what to think of Darryl yet. He seems like the same sort of trouble as his brother, and I absolutely hate people like that... Still, maybe he'll surprise me?

Morrigan 11-15-2010 02:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Syn (Post 396677)
Morrigan, I don't hate Shane, I just don't like that he lied to Lori about Rick-in-a-coma, even though I did understand the reasons behind why he did it. She didn't have all the facts before she hooked up with him, and that feels incredibly dishonest to me. I'm mad at Shane for the same reason I'm mad at Lori for sleeping with Rick. I like the way Shane is with Carl; you can tell he's over the moon about him, and that love makes me want to forgive him.

I didn't think you did, I was just explaining why I don't have that big of an issue with what Shane did. For me it'll ultimately comes down to why he lied. If he lied b/c he just wanted to get her in the sack, then yeah he's a shit.

If Shane lied to spare her the reality of the situation...told her Rick died rather than the truth, that they left him to get eaten then I don't have a problem with what he did. Also, if Shane lied to get Lori/Carl to safety than I don't have that much of a problem with it either.

I just wish we got to hear his side of it b/c from what Lori said it makes it sound like he only did it because he wanted her, which I'm sure is what she thinks.

Quote:

I'm not sure what to think of Darryl yet. He seems like the same sort of trouble as his brother, and I absolutely hate people like that... Still, maybe he'll surprise me?
To me, Daryl doesn't seem anywhere near as bad as Merle but I could have read the scene wrong. Seemed to me that he was out hunting for the whole campsite (seeing as how they couldn't freeze the deer meat). He also didn't get all violent when Shane called his brother a douchebag and even with T-Dog, he didn't really go on a racial slant.

Maybe he is a racist and hides it better than Merle but he just didn't really seem like a bad guy to me. However, that was 1 episode, he could turn out to be a total dick next week.

SamIAm 11-16-2010 08:43 AM

Wow, plans to wait for next October for the new season? Dude...

Belle Melange 11-16-2010 07:44 PM

Was already planning on waiting until October. Didn't know this season was only six episodes though. That blows

SamIAm 11-18-2010 07:30 AM

This show is seriously hard to watch while snacking.

I'm kinda not blaming Lori and Shane too much either. I'd also want to know the circumstances of how they got out of town first, like whether or not Lori was all about not leaving if Rick was still alive or what. After all, it is pretty much unrealistic that Rick would have actually survived, what with the lying there being a buffet table and all. Taking ComaRick with them wouldn't have been a great decision either, so it's a true 'damned if you do, damned if you don't' situation.

And I sympathize with Shane beating the crap out of Eddie. There are certain things that you just do not do, ever.

But I have to wonder how come all these ignorant cracker rednecks made it out alive. And was the helicopter really there in Atlanta or not?

Morrigan 11-18-2010 09:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SamIAm (Post 396725)
But I have to wonder how come all these ignorant cracker rednecks made it out alive. And was the helicopter really there in Atlanta or not?

Might be a stereotype but I'm guessing their survival is based on owning guns/weapons, having survival/hunting skills and a big ass truck. :D

DamnSkippy 11-18-2010 09:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SamIAm (Post 396725)
But I have to wonder how come all these ignorant cracker rednecks made it out alive.

Just because they're rednecks doesn't mean they're stupid. ;) They've survived despite not being rich and having access to health care, so I'm thinkin' they've got a leg up on survival skills. :9mm:

SamIAm 11-18-2010 11:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Morrigan (Post 396726)
Might be a stereotype but I'm guessing their survival is based on owning guns/weapons, having survival/hunting skills and a big ass truck. :D

Quote:

Originally Posted by DamnSkippy (Post 396727)
Just because they're rednecks doesn't mean they're stupid. ;) They've survived despite not being rich and having access to health care, so I'm thinkin' they've got a leg up on survival skills. :9mm:

Both good points. It's just sad to think the zombie apocalypse will be survived by the cavemen and not the astronauts. ;)

Platypus 11-18-2010 06:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SamIAm (Post 396728)
Both good points. It's just sad to think the zombie apocalypse will be survived by the cavemen and not the astronauts. ;)

Maybe we just haven't met any of the astronauts yet.

Just chiming in to say I am really enjoying this show, gory intestines and all.

SamIAm 11-19-2010 07:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Platypus (Post 396729)
Maybe we just haven't met any of the astronauts yet.

I thought Rick was supposed to be an astronaut?

Just wondering about it is all. It's looking like they've stuck this group together for no other reason than to have them at odds all the time. BSG did that, and it always puzzled me how humanity could go from 12 worlds with billions of people to 50,000 people and still not be able to get along.

I mean, I get it; zombies are just there waiting to be killed and the only real danger is their number. There's no subtlety to be exploited in conflict with them, so you need someone to be the antagonist, but you know, why your neighbor?

But I'm done with the tl;dr. Me likey series too.

Platypus 11-19-2010 07:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SamIAm (Post 396734)
There's no subtlety to be exploited in conflict with them, so you need someone to be the antagonist, but you know, why your neighbor?

To quote the great Tommy Lee Jones in "MIB": A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky dangerous animals and you know it.

When stressed, many people (particularly people in large groups) behave badly. When they are also scared, grieving and fighting for survival, it's even worse. I'd like to believe that better angels will prevail, but I think most post-apocalyptic fiction is working from a premise that's not too far off the mark.

I really like the Rick character and think we're meant to view him as a decent person, but also as an exception to the rule. For ever good samaritan who will stop and help someone in trouble, even at risk to his/her own life, there are plenty of otherwise decent people who just look away and keep on walking if there's any risk to them in becoming involved. And if you were a wife-beater before the Zombie Apocalypse (and let's face it, there are plenty of abusive spouses around), you're not likely to stop when you're in a high-stress situation - you'll probably get worse.

I don't care too much for Shane (not because he's sleeping with Lori, but just because he seems like an arrogant bully), but needless to say I had no problem with him wiping the dirt with Ed. Then again, I might not have just left Merle Dixon on the roof - I might have advocated tossing him over the side to better create a feeding distraction so the rest of us could escape. :)

Morrigan 11-19-2010 10:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SamIAm (Post 396734)
I thought Rick was supposed to be an astronaut?

Just wondering about it is all. It's looking like they've stuck this group together for no other reason than to have them at odds all the time. BSG did that, and it always puzzled me how humanity could go from 12 worlds with billions of people to 50,000 people and still not be able to get along.

I've decided that when the ZA happens all of the astronauts, rocket scientist and overall Shledon Cooper's of the world will be locked up in a huge super-protected underground facility (or secret lair) waiting for the Zombies and Darwin Award's Candidates to ultimately kill each other off, before emerging to create a new and better society.

Quote:

Then again, I might not have just left Merle Dixon on the roof - I might have advocated tossing him over the side to better create a feeding distraction so the rest of us could escape.
Killing him first of course, b/c otherwise that's just cruel..leaving him to die from the fall or get eaten alive by zombies...I'd have been merciful and shot him before throwing him off the building ;)

SamIAm 11-19-2010 03:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Platypus (Post 396735)
To quote the great Tommy Lee Jones in "MIB": A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky dangerous animals and you know it.

Thing about dumb animals is they can be corralled. Mostly people are sheep. They don't want to be, and they'll argue they aren't, but just watch all those people stand still for invasive personal searches to avoid the one in 80 million chance of a terrorist attack and try to tell me they aren't. Corralled sheep aren't that dangerous. They're mostly zombie-like.

But we will never know what will happen until the zombie apocalypse actually hits, and by then internet access will likely be too spotty for a solid round of 'told ya so'. ;)

Quote:

I'd like to believe that better angels will prevail, but I think most post-apocalyptic fiction is working from a premise that's not too far off the mark.

Yeah, it's the more dramatic premise, so it's going to win. Even in that great American novel, The Stand, supernatural forces of good had to contend with Harold and Nadine.

I only picked on BSG 'cause they were literally astronauts, whether they liked it or not. SG:U does the same sort of thing, even though their infighting negatively affects them directly. Even more astronauts who miss the point, I guess.

Quote:

I don't care too much for Shane (not because he's sleeping with Lori, but just because he seems like an arrogant bully)...

Yeah? I mean, he was Rick's friend as well as his partner. I'd not think the birds are that differently feathered.

Quote:

Then again, I might not have just left Merle Dixon on the roof - I might have advocated tossing him over the side to better create a feeding distraction so the rest of us could escape. :)

TJ(?) is also an astronaut.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Morrigan (Post 396736)
I've decided that when the ZA happens all of the astronauts, rocket scientist and overall Shledon Cooper's of the world will be locked up in a huge super-protected underground facility (or secret lair) waiting for the Zombies and Darwin Award's Candidates to ultimately kill each other off, before emerging to create a new and better society.

Who will eventually get around to collecting all those wonderful toys in all those wonderful military installations...

See? Now I'm doing it.

Syn 11-21-2010 11:24 PM

I really liked this episode. I really didn't see any of this coming either. I was completely shocked when the walkers attacked the camp at the end. I didn't see Amy getting bitten and killed at all. I probably should have though.

I'm not hating Darryl as much as I thought I might. He's redneck asshole, but at least he can be reasonable and he can work with others. Unlike his brother. I wonder where Merle is? I have a feeling we're going to find out...and it ain't gonna be pretty.

I totally painted the other people with a gangbanger brush from the start. They didn't help matters, trying to act all tough....but it really was just an act. I felt so bad for them after I saw that they were just protecting a bunch of senior citizens. That's just....awww.... Seriously.

Um....about the attack at the end? The guy digging the graves totally saw it coming. Is he psychic? Weird!