Stranger Things Forum

Stranger Things Forum (http://www.stranger-things.net/forum/index.php)
-   TV Party! (http://www.stranger-things.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=22)
-   -   The Walking Dead (http://www.stranger-things.net/forum/showthread.php?t=22203)

Syn 10-31-2010 11:38 PM

The Walking Dead

Anyone else watching this show? Personally, zombies are one of my favorite things ever, so a whole show about a zombie apocalypse is like my kind of crack!

I loved premiere, even though it had a lot in common with 28 Days Later. The zombies are a lot scarier than I thought they'd be for TV. There were some geniunely scary moments.

So? Anyone?

I Heart Dirt 11-01-2010 01:07 AM

I loved it too!

I've actually been reading the comics and its such a great interpretation both visually and in plot. The first episode was an expansion of a 30 page issue that was fleshes out.

My only problem with it so far is the actor that plays Shane just reminds me of the character he played on the show the Class which is like the typical dumb pot head-y sounding guy, and the actor that plays Rick is quite clearly British, but none of it mattered to me after 10 mins of the episode.

I LOVED IT.

Morrigan 11-01-2010 11:35 AM

It's on my DVR will watch it when I get home, at first I thought it was a movie for halloween but now that I know it's a series I'm kind of excited for it.

Syn 11-01-2010 12:25 PM

That zombie that was crawling in the park....that was seriously the best, scariest zombie ever. The bone legs! Ugh! It just got me! I was so creeped out!

Then there was that moment where he rounded the corner and all the zombies---or is it walkers on this show?---were all massed up in a group... I actually squeaked and drew my legs up, which is a sure sign that I'm actually scared.

Any show that can do that to me gets my seal of approval! I can't wait for more!

Dathan 11-01-2010 01:30 PM

delurks

Ok, so I've been reading the comics since the beginning and am a huge fan of the zombie apocalypse genre (and was so a long time before the current fad was born) and I have to say the show is amazing.

If they keep up the production quality, the emotional impact, AND the intensity of the plot even for a few episodes, I'm going to go ahead and say this may be the best representation of the zombie genre since the original Night of Living Dead. Zombies don't have to spew goo on half naked starlets or be olympic level sprinters in order to be scary, and yes, when he rounded the corner and saw the massed walkers standing there...definitely an "oh crap" moment.

I don't want to talk too much because people haven't seen it yet, but even if you don't like zombies per se, treat yourself to a great example of building tension and building horror and watch the episode.

/delurks

Morrigan 11-01-2010 04:01 PM

That was awesome and it had excellent ratings to boot, 5.34 million viewers.

The beginning did seem a bit like 28 Days Later but I was OK with it. I really like most of the characters and look forward to the eventual Lori/Rick/Shane reunion.

I have to admit that I had to watch that final scene in Atlanta near the tank on FF and will go to the end saying the horsey ran away. :)

I do wonder if they'll be able to sustain a Zombie series in the long run, just not sure if it'll work but as of right now I am hooked for the duration.

Belle Melange 11-01-2010 06:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Syn (Post 396612)
That zombie that was crawling in the park....that was seriously the best, scariest zombie ever. The bone legs! Ugh! It just got me! I was so creeped out!

My exact words when that part came on: "Oh my god! Gross! (beat) This is awesome!"

SamIAm 11-05-2010 07:53 AM

Late to the party, but I finished the pilot, finally. Usually I couldn't care less about zombies (more a vampire guy), but this one worked. I mean, anytime you can feel sorry for a half-person crawling across the park, well... That's some kind of writing.

For anyone who did get through the final scene without FF'ing, that was a voice over the radio in the tank, right? So it's probably not a stretch to assume the military, such as it is, is running their own game in Atlanta?

Morrigan 11-05-2010 10:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SamIAm (Post 396630)
For anyone who did get through the final scene without FF'ing, that was a voice over the radio in the tank, right? So it's probably not a stretch to assume the military, such as it is, is running their own game in Atlanta?

It was a voice over the tank radio but I don't think it was military seemed almost like a kid/punk. I'm guessing maybe a military survivor but not part of a still organized military outfit.

I Heart Dirt 11-05-2010 12:31 PM

What does FFing mean?

The last scene did make me totally freak, though. I've read the comics to I know what happens, but wow did they put him in a seemingly impossible to escape position!

Here is a little spoiler on who the voice on the radio was its Glenn. A kid who travels into the city from time to time to get supplies. I don't want to say anymore because I don't want to give too too much away.

Oh, and I think I said before that the first episode was the first issue, but I just looked and it was actually a little bit less than the first two.

Morrigan 11-05-2010 01:29 PM

FFing means fast forwarding.

SamIAm 11-05-2010 01:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Morrigan (Post 396631)
It was a voice over the tank radio but I don't think it was military seemed almost like a kid/punk. I'm guessing maybe a military survivor but not part of a still organized military outfit.

Yeah, I went with a military (or rogue military) group 'cause of the helicopter. Seemed a bit more organized than a street gang or some such. I didn't highlight the spoiler though, so I may well be wrong.

Syn 11-07-2010 11:27 PM

Wow. Just wow. I hope everyone else watched the newest episode, because it was amazeballs!

I'm digging the hell out of this show. I was so sickened by them smearing the guts on themselves...and the intestine scarves were a bit much...but I dig that they went there. It was a pretty smart move, you know...until it started to rain.

That redneck, Merle, is going to cause soooo much trouble. He's just that type of guy who can't get along with anyone. I hate characters like him, and there's always at least one, maybe two, in movies/shows like this. He was pretty much inevitable. At least T-Dog tried to unlock the cuffs, and then he at least locked the door so that zombies didn't eat his ass. I forsee Merle getting over to the toolbox and unlocking the cuffs himself. Which can only mean trouble.

I'm a little smitten with Rick, I don't mind saying. I'm going to be so sad for him when he finds out that Lori and Shane are having an affair. I really want to know how their relationship started, or if Lori knows that Rick isn't dead...or in a coma. Were they sleeping together before the apocalypse? I want answers!!

I really dug Glenn. Mostly because he looked like Short Round from Indiana Jones, which makes me smile. He's a natural leader and I think that kid definitely has his shit together. I appreciate that on a lot of levels. I really hope nothing happens to him.

So yeah. OBSESSED WITH THIS SHOW!!!

Morrigan 11-08-2010 12:03 PM

I think I spent the whole episode worried about Glenn, I just adored that kid. Then I spent the other half of the evening pairing Rick up with a new woman because I don't like Lori all that much. Originally I thought about the blond girl from camp but I think she's too young. Then I figured her big sister would be cool and they had a nice little moment.

If Rick does end up with Lori and I don't think that's a given, they were having marital issues long before the outbreak so it's possible that they just can't make a go of it. However, if they put those two back together, we're going to need to find someone for Shane.

Syn 11-08-2010 02:33 PM

Yeah, I have a feeling that Rick and Andrea are going to at least have some sort of blossoming relationship. I don't know if it'll be immediate, but eventually something is going to happen there. I was afraid something would happen to Glenn when he was luring them away with the Mustang. Glad he got away.